Cancellation: guest requests refund money now, but I don't get the payout until a year from now?

Shani3
Level 2
Safed, Israel

Cancellation: guest requests refund money now, but I don't get the payout until a year from now?

I had a guest instant book for a year from now, and then want to cancel about a week later.  Since I have a strict cancellation policy, all of the money was not returned, but they requested I return all of the money since it is so far in advance.  In theory I have no problem returning the money.  It is just that Airbnb seems to have set up the system such that the money will come out of my next payouts, but I don't receive the payout for the reservation until the actual time of the would-be reservation.  Have I misunderstood something, or is this just unfair? Why should I have to pay out of pocket now for a cancelled reservation that a confused guest made for a year from now?  

9 Replies 9
David126
Level 10
Como, CO

ABB have the money they just pay it out and take it from what you would have received. So no loss.

David

Thanks. I understand the concept. My question is the timing. Will they wait to take the money from future payout would have been, meaning a year from now, when the cancelled reservation was supposed to be?  Or will they take the money from my near future upcoming payouts for other reservations?

James1
Level 10
SF, CA

Stick to your strict cancellation policy. You are in business. If you want to refund the guest beyond what is allowed in your cancellation policy it will come out of your pocket. The guests troubles are not your responsibility. That's what travel insurance is for.

I often go that route, but I just wanted to be nice here.  But, truthfully, I have ended up soending so much time on this reservation, that I feel like I should be compensated for it.  I am also just trying to clarify for future reference. Thanks for your input!

If feel your pain. We all want to be nice, but airbnb does not make it easy 😞

Deep breath ... I love sharing my house ... I love sharing my house ...

I believe that if you refund now the funds will come out of your next upcoming payouts, then the day after the reservation was due to start you will receive the funds you are due, based on your cancellation policy.

That is how it is set up.

You could tell the guests that you will refund more money in future, but not until after you get the money.  They can wait a year for the refund instead of you paying them now and waiting a year for the rebate.

Or maybe if you or the guest calls Airbnb they will do something different to help you out.

This issue arises when you offer a refund greater than your cancellation policy.  If the refund goes through the normal Airbnb process and they refund according to your cancellation policy then there is no money collected from your future payouts and you get to keep whatever money comes to you when the reservation would have started.

Kerrin

City Limits Ranch

You can suggest your guest take it up with Airbnb by pointing out to your guest that you do not have their money and will not have their money.  Airbnb has their money now and they will have their money back.  You will never have their money so you are not really the one to complain to.

ABB pay it out of the money they would have paid you for this booking, you future credit.

David

Excellent answer Kerrin!  Thank you so much for taking the time to be so thorough.  I thought that was the case, but wanted to clarify.  This is actually the first time I have turned to the community with issues, rather that Airbnb themselves, and I have to say, it is so much more fun, since you guys are all so nice!  At this point, I think I will just wait to see if the guest requests again, and if they do, I will have them wait until the time of their reservation.