Cancellation

Mary186
Level 2
Ventura, CA

Cancellation

Hello Forum, 

I had a guest book with us today. He then called to ask whether we have cable TV. Our property description clearly states that we have a Smart TV and wifi only (no cable). I told him 'no' and he said he needed cable TV for his work. He asked to cancel. I told him that was fine and directed him to cancel through AirBnB.  When he sent me a cancellation request (which arrived in my messages), I accepted it. This now has triggered that those days are blocked and I have lost my super host status.  That seems like a pretty harsh outcome for me as host!  Did I put through the cancellation incorrectly?  I'm confused! 

28 Replies 28
Kathleen67
Level 2
Candler, NC

I'm having a similar problem. Can't find a contact Airbnb link anywhere.

I had guests instant book with two cats. I said no and they asked me to cancel. Guess I should have had THEM cancel. Now the date is blocked for future reservatyions. I want to contest this through Airbnb but can't figure out how. Argh!

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

I am not aware of a "cancellation request" the guest would need simply to cancel the booking himself. It sounds like you actually canceled the booking hence the penalty.  Fr future reference you should never cancel a booking. 

Also confused as to what you did, you do not have to approve a cancellation, that would be very odd.

David

I have only been a host for 9 months and this is the first cancellation that has come through this way. It is a very easy mistake to make. Think about it...why wouldn't you approve a guest's request to cancel? 

I can think of a few circumstances where you as a a host can not provide what you had offered, you asked the guest if they would accept a variance and they say no and ask you to cancell. Obviously can be done other ways.

David

Thanks. But yes, I received an email saying: "Tanushenka requests that you cancel".
Never had one of these before and I've been at this five years.

I won't fall for that next time but I want Airbnb to open the day back up for booking. They shouldn't have booked with pets. Do you know how to contact them?

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

There is also a fine which will come out of your next payment from Airbnb. The guest will get a full refund, because of having the imposition of a host cancelling. They may even get some travel credits. Never cancel unless the sky has fallen down.

Have never heard of ''cancellation request'' to accept? Is this a new thing maybe? Bottom line: A guest wants to cancel, they can do so. Up to you if you want to offer full refund or not.

The host canceled this reservation 28 days before arrival. This is an automated posting.

@Mary186 cancelled, not the guest.

David

It was too weird receiving the email from Airbnb with the guest requesting that I cancel.

HOW may I contact Airbnb to get this straight?

@Kathleen67, just type in ''contact Airbnb'' in the forum and masses of numbers etc will come up. Can be easiest through twitter or FB.

@Kathleen67 I would contact the guest and tell them that there is another airbnb glitch and that he/she must take the cancellation issue up with airbnb themselves. Tell them that you, as the host, will get fined if you cancel at your end. That should solve it. This could be something sneaky that airbnb has developed or just another site glitch.

Dawn33
Level 10
San Marcos, TX

This happened to me about a month ago. They sent a cancellation request through Airbnb and it looks like it has the Queen's blessing ---- do not be fooled and do not accept it. It is actually a cancellation on your end.
Thankfully, I didn't accept it and the guest had to actually cancel on their end. Very sneaky on the guest's part.

Sorry this happened to you.

There is a drop down box when the Guest goes to cancel. 

One of the choices is THE HOST NEEDS TO CANCEL. 

The Guest can choose this box. 

Then AirBnb basically asks the Host if they need to cancel. 

But the email does not say

"Your confirmed guest says that you need to cancel.  Is this true?  Or is the guest trying to trick you into cancelling so that they will benefit and you will lose out?"

So

If your Guest tells AirBnb

"My Host, he wants to cancel Me!"

Then Bnb will email you.

They'll  ask you if

This tale is true.

What should you do?

You should decline!

Just tell them no, if he wants out

Then he may go but there's no doubt

The Guest should have to pay the price.

You're quite the Host,  but not THAT nice.

Thanks all. I did find a number for Airbnb. I'll see if I can get someone. I'll report back.