Cancellations

Jamie37
Level 1
Palm Springs, CA

Cancellations

Hi! I'm brand new to Airbnb as a host.  I live in the Coachella Valley in California, and have decided to rent my house out for weekends, which includes many of the big music festivals here.  I've been told that people rent their houses out for the weekend for up to $2,000.  I made my 4 bedroom, 3 bath house available for the festival weekends for $499 a night.  Well, I'm not sure what happened, but someone instant booked for a Coachella weekend for $299 a night (that's my price for weekends in the summer when not as many people want to visit the desert).  I have no idea what happened, I was positive I made those weekends $499.  I messaged the guest and explained, and he didn't even give the courtesy to respond to me.  I amended the reservation to $499, and he declined, but still kept his reservation (he's getting a steal).  So...I messaged him again and offered a compromise of $399 a night, and amended.  He has again not responded.  Now I'm starting to feel uncomfortable.  I don't want this person staying in my house.  He says there's only 4 people, but who knows.  And now I feel like he doesn't agree with me and may bring more people, not be respectful of my house, etc...I thought about just cancelling and taking the penalty of not being able to book for that weekend, but I could potentially be out $1500 (the house will for sure get rented out by someone).  I was wondering if I could cancel and state that the guest is making me uncomfortable and not be penalized.  I read something about doing that but I wanted to see what others have done in these situations.  Thanks!

5 Replies 5
Mike77
Level 10
Bend, OR

Turn off Instant booking.

Contact AirBnB and tell them your problem.  Telling us your problem does nothing to fix it.

If you don't know how to contact AirBnB, Google it.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Zandra0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Hmmm... I think you're stretching a bit aren't you. Just out of interest how do you get to : this guy won't respect my house? Because he's refusing to accept your prove increase? Consider it from his perspective.

How long ago was this booking processed ? I had similar happen to me on New Years Eve; I decided to accept my mistake but Airbnb did offer to cancel his reservation when I complained that changes I had made on the app had not stuck (like you o definitely changed it). If not too much time has passed, call Airbnb and say you tried to resolve the issue on your own and haven't been successful. They may offer to cancel it for you.
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Jamie,  I can see that you are new and this website can be daunting at best.  Please take time to read as much of the FAQ as possible as you will learn a great deal.  I have several thoughts about your listing that I will share and hope you find helpful.

I am in La Quinta and also price for the several times the events and/concerts increase demand.

I reviewed your calendar and it seems to block out some dates needed for Coachella and Stage Coach.

Don't forget other events such as the March Tennis Tournament.

For an entire house I think both your cleaning fee and definitely your security deposit are too low.

Also, given the interest and planning for the big concerts, a moderate cancellation policy may not be a good idea.

I don't hold out much hope for changing your current guest booking unless you can show Air BNB that there was a system glitch at the time of the booking resulting in an incorrect price.

We are starting a La Quinta Home Sharing Club and you can join if you like.  Linda

Patricia86
Level 4
Chico, CA

Contact Airbnb.  My guess is that you made a mistake-- something most do us have done.  

Best case scenario?  You treat him, and his guests like kings and queens, and he leaves you a rave review.  You make $300, he gets an amazing deal, and you learn something along the way. 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Picture yourself from the guest's point of view: He made a booking, it is approved. All good. Next thing, he gets a message from the host saying she wants more money. Huh? Sounds fishy to me as a guest. Extortion.