Cape Town Water Crisis

Pia20
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Cape Town Water Crisis

Hi all Capetownian Hosts, i really like to ask how you are dealing with the upcoming water restriction 6B - 50 liter pppd from 01.02.2018. 

So far all guests were coping well with the 87 liter restrictions and just now I have updated my offer to inform the people before they are booking to have them prepared what to expect on their arrival. But if there are requests for March / April when we probably have to deal with Day Zero and the taps run dry, I can not accommodate anyone anylonger!? I recommend all travelers a specific insurance to cover their costs when they have to fly back home earlier, how is this handled with Air BnB and the cancellation policy!?  I will definetely try to get some info from Air Bnb directly, but would be happy to find some people here and get some opinions...thanks Pia

17 Replies 17

@Pia20, if the drought causes your taps to run dry and you have to cancel, that should be covered by the Extenuating Circumstances policy.

(You would not get to host, but at least you should not be penalized.)

Extenuating Circumstances would include:

• Severe property damage or unforeseen maintenance issues that directly impact the ability to host safely
  • Significant natural disasters or severe weather incidents impacting the location of destination or location of departure

One could argue either (or both) apply in severe drought conditions.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1320/what-if-i-need-to-cancel-because-of-an-emergency-or-unavoid...

Marzena4
Level 10
Kraków, Poland

Hello @Pia20. Just read about Cape Town 2 hours ago. It definitely falls under extenuating circumstances - that weather point. All you can do now is to put info into your listing and inform each potential guest about it in advance, just like you're doing. Also about possible cancellations. 

// "The only person you can trust is yourself"
Pia20
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Thanks @Marzena4 and @Matthew285,  yes I see and what irritates me a bit is the wording "may wave penalties" // "might be covered" ! But anyway, thanks a lot for the info and let´s see, how it will be dealt with this special circumstances once they happen:( 

Will update! Happy weekend all. 

Jen107
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Pia,

I am in the same position. I have had to turn down a booking for April as told them about the severity of the situation and also now want to cancel/ encourage my guests in February to book elsewhere where there are less stringent restrictions like Hermanus. It will affect their holiday but ultimately it will be less unpleasant than being here even if they use buckets where public places are closing down or unhygenic to their standards because of it. Do you have a the Airbnb CT office number? I would love to chat to them about the best course of action.

Jimmy73
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

@Pia20 @Jen107

Also concerned and have blocked off further bookings from April onwards. Have also messaged ABB customer support regarding any implications to us if we have to cancel bookings due to water been switched off. Will update if I get any feedback.

Pia20
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi @Jen107 @Jimmy73

just found this website.

http://airbnbcapetown.com/contact-us/

I am going for breakfast on Monday to Phili and will popp in their office. Will let you know about any info I can get there;) Happy weekend, Pia

Jen107
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

@Jimmy73@Pia20

Thanks so much for your helpful messages. I just sent them an email now asking someone to get in touch with me asap about it and will share my feedback. I think the perspective of dealing with day zero if and when it arrives is besides the point. We will get hugely penalised if our total water consumption per household is over the limit well before day zero and our water will potentially get capped. This will be just as uncomfortable to explain to guests when they can't cook or wash because the daily water amount is used up by lunchtime and there is no more coming out the taps! I also think we have a responsibility to guests to let them know how severe the situation is. Personally I would want to make another plan for my holiday as we are not in the 'just take a quick shower' stage and day zero is unlikely to happen when you are on holiday.

@Pia20 I am traveling to Cape Town from the US during 03/16-03/26. This worries me as I have been planning this trip quite some time. I have not booked any AirBnBs. What do you recommend? -Lee

Pia20
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi @Lee206 see my info below! All can happen but it also could be fine until the end of your planned trip! I would wait at least mid of Feb and if you decide to book, opt out for an cancellation insurance and check if you can handle this:) Besides the water stress, it still is lovely and I enjoy every single day!!27709870_1596474327056147_1580262711442398598_o.png

Jimmy73
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi @Pia20 @Jen107

Thanks, but that website looks a bit strange. Seems to be only guesthouses on there and their physical address is:

795 Fake Ave, Door 6 Wonderland, CA 94107, USA ??

I did actually get a call back from someone claiming to be from Airbnb on this number:  +278194002139

The line was bad and I couldn't get everything that he was saying. But he advised that we should advise each guest regarding the water usage and that if the inevitable happened, we shouldn't be adversely affected - but like I said, I'm not sure I caught everything!

Hope you get some answers when you are there - thank you!

Have a great weekend,

Jimmy

Pia20
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

@Jimmy73 you are right, it is not Philadelphia here in Cape Town, which is 20 Minutes from my house!!! Looks like some place in the US if I take a closer look.  Sent them an enquiry over their website now but will keep the cell number in case nobody is coming back! update follows, happy weekend, Pia

Pia20
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

I just send some enquiry to Air BNB on twitter to ask for a proper contact and told them to check that probably fake "Airbnbcapetown" site...

Boyana1
Level 1
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi Pia, We have a booking in Mid February that we are going to have to cancel as its for 7 people at a luxury villa because only 50l per a maximum of 4 people are allowed at the moment and its subject to change. The municipality can come and fine the owner as well as cut the water off or restrict it. There are too many unknowns and day 0 has already been moved in. Whats more interesting is that the City doesn't seem to allow the 4 person threshold to be moved higher - if the owner is foreign. 200 Litres for 7 people, paying  9000 a night flying all the way from Germany.. I am afraid this is going to have a huge knock-on effect to tourism in CT and is a crisis. Once guests start going to other areas - they might not come back- at least not until perhaps prices drop substantially which they will. Airbnb should not charge nor allow bad ratings as a result of cancelling by the host for this reason.Let'ss see if they do and pray for rain.

Pia20
Level 2
Cape Town, South Africa

Hi all, after  5 days without water in our area due to a pressure reduction ( municipality was not aware, that our area is 50 m above sealevel and put water pump pressure on 1.5 bar!!)  I had a first impression of what will come in April. Luckily I had the best guests ever and they were just amazing and coped to have no shower / hot water for half of their stay!!

But still,  I decided to put my big flat for 4 people off the grid from 1.3. and just take 2 more bookings for February. @Boyana1 it definitely is a huge knock off for all of us. My season is more or less terminated for this time and I just hope, next season is more relaxed eventhough the water awareness will be a big part of our lives in future! Air Bnb just showed me with their unsatisfying and woolly formulation, they are more interested in getting their commission and I felt quite frustrated after I sent some enquiries to headquarter to find out, how they will handle liability in case you have to cancel a reservation! You will be charged in full unless you have stated - what I did now in every booking request upfront / no instant bookings - that you can not guarantee if there is enough water, if there is any unforseen interruption of water services and that you are not liable for any loss occuring during the stay. But you get no confirmation for anything. That was the status from last weeks correspondance.

Cape Town is a declared desaster area, so all people who like to visit should be ready for any surprise and should be aware they can just use 50 L pp pd like everybody. And still you don´t know exactly if people could charge you for lack of services etc. With homeaway.com it is similar, but they offer every guest an insurance cover on booking. I also checked my BnB sure insurance, they argue it is force majeur, so at the end you sit on your costs and lose at least one million nerves! Not a good time to welcome guests and I  am still wondering, how the big hotels dealing with the situation. Anyway, let´s hope for the best and maybe in a year or two, Cape Town is boom-ing again as everybody want´s to visit "the first city in the world which run out of water"(..as sad as it is)