Children staying

Vicki177
Level 1
Boerne, TX

Children staying

My listing states "no children under 12".  I did this for liability reasons.  The apartment is on the second floor and I'm afraid of small children falling down the stairs.  After being told by a realtor friend that I cannot discriminate against family's with children, I agreed to let the couple stay with their three year old child this coming weekend.  Question......should I have the parent/parents sign a document releasing me from any liability?

4 Replies 4
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

Your realtor friend is wrong.  Perhaps for long term rental or home sales, you cannot discriminate but you are allowed to restrict children due to an unsafe space.  Now that you have waived your rule, you might be sure that the parents have acknowledged your concern via the Air BNB message system and get them to state in a message that they will take proper steps to supervise their child.  That should suffice.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

... and make sure you have waterproof mattrass protection

Victoria567
Level 10
Scotland, United Kingdom

Hi@ Vicki

I would Phone Air bnb directly.

Explain your situation.

See if you can get air bnb themselves to cancel the booking directly by corresponding with the hosts and let air bnb communicate with the guests.

Make sure that air bnb cancel on your behalf with any financial penalty to you or your listing.

Rachel0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Vicki177 If the choice to exclude children under the age of 12 were illegal I am sure that Airbnb would not have allowed this option to be available to hosts.  I think @Victoria567 meant to say "without" any financial penalty.  I am not too sure that you have a good enough reason to cancel the booking however, as listening to the advice of a friend doesn't really count, but you can try.  Otherwise just keep the booking and make sure that you have waterproof mattress protection and no felt-tip pens or breakable items on display.