Cleaning Fees

Answered!
Derik0
Level 3
Toronto, Canada

Cleaning Fees

It would be really nice if Airbnb allowed hosts to set their cleaning fees to the duration of the stay. I am finding that my cleaning resources are getting way too bogged down with extra cleaning that is required for a longer stay.

It takes way more resources to clean a place after guests leave after a month vs just a couple of nights. I truly feel that cleaning fees shouldn't be billed the same way.

As an example, it makes perfect sense for me to charge $20 for an over night guest VS. $50 for a week VS. $100 for a month stay. The amount of cleaning varies but typically increases the longer guests stay. 

I am sending this out and hopefully, the Airbnb solutions team hears it 🙂 

Derik

1 Best Answer

Do you give a percentage discount off your daily rate for longer stays?  Take away the discount and apply that money to the cleaning fees.

View Best Answer in original post

55 Replies 55

I am with you Susan. This is what cleaning fees are for IMO. With some guests there's little cleaning to do, with others oh, my, everything needs to be scrubbed, from the stove top, the oven with spilled food thats burning, to staines, dirty dishes, soled bed sheets broken glasses, furnoture and even mattreses moved around. Basically I need to charge a fee to even out the clean ones with the pig sty ones.

Susan, I'm not sure how you allow your guests to book, whether you approve them first or it's automatic but we have never had a guest that has been left our apartment dirty or untidy.  Maybe we've been one of the fortunate one's.  When I receive a request and they have not told me the reason for they're visit to our city, I ask them.  Also I make sure they have reviews, good ones of course, and will then accept or decline.  I have declined young people that live in my city and want to stay for the weekend with their girlfriend or have a few people over etc.  

I do agree that I would leave a not so good review for the type of people you're talking about.

I have a “welcome note” for my guest with bullets points of things I ask. Some assume it’s like a hotel, if not. I welcome them to my home even though it is separate. I ask they clean and replace all dishes. And carry trash to a bin just outside. I thank them in advance for helping me keep cost lower. This has seemed to help me quite a bit. 

Gordon57
Level 2
Paradise, Canada

I am new to hosting. My biggest expense so far is travelling 45 min both way to get the sheets/towels etc to be washed. How does the cleaning fee work? Should it be a % of the Rental? Changing sheets after one day or 3 day will cost about the same - 

Hi @Gordon57! Buy a duplicate set of everything you launder! Your life will be so much simpler!

Yes! Learned that after my first rental!  Have extra of everything on hand now. 

Hi, 

I too have to drive 45 minutes to my place to launder the sheets and towels. I charge a cleaning fee for this. Right now it 25.00 which I think is reasonable. 

Hi Tracy,

I've been charge a cleanning fee since I start renting but I never get paid. How cleanning fee works? Airbnb charge the client and detract them form the total but they never paid me 😞

Hello.  This is my first time hosting and I’m wondering the same thing about cleaning fee. What about using the deposit feature  Instead of the cleaning fee?  It would be awesome if you could set the cleaning fee for a per day amount. If they stay one night it won’t be $75 to clean it... but if they stay a week it’ll be more than $75 Jennifer

Penny86
Level 1
York, United Kingdom

hi I am hosting in York UK i charge a £20 cleaning fee which the guest is paying but air b/b are not payning me this fee. how would i go about retriving the money i have lost and ensuring this is in cluded in future transactions .

regards Penny

Carmen203
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

Hi Penny,

I've a similar issue.  Did you have any feedback from the community?

If I charge R200 for cleaning fees and someone is staying 8 nights is the cleaning for everyday or just 1 day?

bearing in mind a cleaner costs R200 a day

Kari6
Level 2
Tacoma, WA

For me, it would work best if there was a daily rate for cleaning.  People who stay longer leave more mess and require a more strenuous cleaning job so dividingi the fee over many days doesn’t balance out and I end up charging more to the single night guest to make up for the difference.  

Cleaning Fees should be per reservation if less than one week, or per week if booked for more than 7 days. I had a couple stay for 4 weeks: they would only allow me in to the apartment for 1/2 an hour once a week...so I had to buy a double set of everything and clean VERY quickly! After 4 weeks, I can tell you my $20 cleaning fee (total) had NOT covered the cost! Now, I won't take guests for more than 7 days and have increased the cleaning fee, so 1 and 2 night stays (most common) are paying more by comparison. 

absolutely agree and I believe that is very unfair to the guests and to the hosts both that the long-term guests have to pay as much as the short term guests pay. cleaning fees should be charged on 1 week or 2 weeks bases.