Cleaning Fees

Tsotne--Tut-0
Level 2
New York, NY

Cleaning Fees

I believe that is very unfair to the guests and to the hosts as well that the long-term guests have to pay as much as the short term guests pay. cleaning fees should be charged on 1 week or 2 weeks bases. 

I have 3 rooms and shared common areas. I have 1 months guests and 4 days guests at the same time. It is not fair to me that I have to provide ongoing cleaning and essential to long-term guests who stay more than one week when cleaning in New York costs no less than $75. this is a serious mistreatment of the hosts and unfair to the short-term guest. THIS SHOULD BE ADDRESSED IMMEDIATELY.

NUMBERS DO NOT MAKE SENSE - MINUS THE CLEANING AND ESSENTIALS EXPENSES MY INCOME EQUALS TO LONG TERM LEASE ARRANGEMENT WHICH I AM SWITCHING TO SLOWLY.
6 Replies 6
Barry-and-Lera0
Level 10
Sarasota, FL

Every situation is different but we have found that the shorter the stay the more of a mess a guest makes.

I agree with you but this is not about who makes more mess, this about the additional cleaning expenses I have to provide free of charge.   I hire a cleaner (which I have to sometimes) and takes up a good chunk of money and or I have to clean by myself because cleaning service in NYC is unaffordable. I did not start Airbnb to become a cleaner ( cleaning for yourself and for someone else are two different things) 

2 of the rooms I have already switched to 1-year tenancy and I will do the same with the rest.. too much work and after deducting the stress and expenses it totals up to the same number. this issue was brought up on the summit but CEO did not address it.   Airbnb is trying to run a cheap hospitality business at the expense of the hosts. 

I agree with you but this is not about who makes more mess, this about the additional cleaning expenses I have to provide free of charge.   I hire a cleaner (which I have to sometimes) and takes up a good chunk of money and or I have to clean by myself because cleaning service in NYC is un-affordable. I did not start Airbnb to become a cleaner ( cleaning for yourself and for someone else are two different things) 

2 of the rooms I have already switched to 1-year tenancy and I will do the same with the rest.. too much work and after deducting the stress and expenses it totals up to the same number. this issue was brought up on the summit but CEO did not address it.   Airbnb is trying to run a cheap hospitality business at the expense of the hosts. 

Actually in my personal opinion, there should be no separate cleaning fee - it should be built into the nightly rate. 

Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Tsotne--Tut-0  You bring up an interesting point about the cleaning fee.  I know that hosting long term and short term are very different in many ways and you are mixing the two in a single home, right?

I do not want long term guests but if you are defining long term guest as Air BNB does, then the pricing, payout and cancellation is different from short term.  You have either a tenant or a roommate instead of guest in that case.  Most long term hosts will come to some type of accommodation regarding the cleaning expectations of both the host and guest.  Usually there is no host cleaning as often there is a long term weekly or monthly reduction in rate.  New linens and towels are provided at least weekly or the guest is allowed to wash their own linens and towels.  

The cleaning fee in my mind is really a room set up fee in which the guest is presented with a clean room at the beginning of their stay.   Some host don't charge a fee but include cleaning in their nightly rate.

If you prefer the long term tenant, then you can develop a separate rental agreement that would address the cleaning issue.  I don't agree with your opinion of Air BNB running cheap hotels as that is not my experience at all, but I agree that it appears that the platform leans more to the short term stay rather than the long term stay.

Linda, by Long-term gests I mean the guest who book 3 weeks and higher., max a 1-month to 2-months. Clearly, I do not mean 1-year tenants. and I do have 1-year tenants as well and I have an agreement that I don't have clean for them.

I mean the guest who books 1 -2 months and pay an only one-time cleaning fee and expect me to provide the cleaning throughout their stay, while 4-day guest paying the same thing.