Cleaning fee added to daily price

Deena8
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Cleaning fee added to daily price

I have had this discussion with Airbnb customer service (definitely not the level of crew as in the past, many now with call centers OUS who are not as good or clear).  I realized recently that Airbnb arbitrarily started adding the cleaning fee to the daily price i had set for many years.  For example, if the cleaning fee is $75 and the guest stays 3 nights, that price has now gone to $125 from $100 per night, for example.  This new policy (unbeknownst to me until this past week) immediately has significantly reduced my getting booked.  I am in the high desert of California in Joshua Tree and the season is now, very high season, and I am not getting booked.  I do not live in the area and must have cleaning people in and it does make the place so much nicer when it is done professionally, rather than not.  Due to this new policy, I removed the cleaning fee from the fees and added notes in the intro to my place as to having to charge for professional cleaning.  I find this new policy upsetting and unfair.  As a matter of fact, I no longer can have guests pull the trigger and accept the reservation as they have to inquire first and have more hassle before getting the cleaning fee added in to the overall price.  Most casual lookers would not take my place if their maximum price is $100 per night and now is $125 if the cleaning fee is added up front. No doubt about it.  

[*Title edited]

4 Replies 4
Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

When did this start? Haven't noticed yet, but good to know.

@Fred13 - in my searches, it only adds the cleaning fee if dates are selected.  No dates selected, base rate displayed.  Select dates and the nightly rate = base+amortized cleaning fee. 

Willow3
Level 10
Coupeville, WA

@Deena8 - Have you removed your cleaning fee?  And will your guests be sent a request for $69?  The listing is very unclear and I fear you are setting yourself up for frustated guests as it's written. 

And honestly, it seems that ALL of Joshua Tree is available on Airbnb... so is it possible that there are just so much competition?  Your lead photo is out of focus and it took me forever to get to a photo of the house.  Honestly, if I weren't TRYING to view your specific listing, I would have backed out long before I saw the actual property.  

Willow, I am not sure who you are but you had some reasonable comments and I fixed alot or all of the issues you brought up to my attention.  I agree with the photo updates and I made the changes.  The cleaning fee is a must but I had to figure out how to place it appropriately as Airbnb changed things while I snoozed.  Given that the price is now shown with a cleaning fee spread out over the days, it is better to not have it included but bring it up in the first intro part of the site and we now ask to send the fee with the follow thru.  I have had two guest bookings this past week with the new set up.  When people like the site and when they read about it, they don't mind paying for cleaning.  Thanks!