Concern as guest books and cancels last minute - and therefore has all my home manual info

Aiveen0
Level 2
Ireland

Concern as guest books and cancels last minute - and therefore has all my home manual info

Hello

I have an unusual one: Today a guest booked last minute - they have government verifications, but no reviews (so really could be anyone doing anything) but I accepted it as she said she was in the area for her fathers funeral, and I felt bad for her! As soon as I approved it she then started saying "oh is your property not the enitre home, I can't stay if it's not private because of the grief" to which I said no we live here (it is listed as private room in shared household) and that we are rarely there, and I said it was up to her to cancel which she did.

CONCERN: She would have been sent the house manual - with alarm codes ( yes I changed it) but my address and all the info, and I'm just very concerned about this.

ALSO RE REFUND AND REVIEW:  I got this from AirBNB" per your cancellation policy, your payout has been updated to €155.06. Your guest was refunded €185.98."  which is fine, but she immediately asked had I already taken the money, and I said it's all down to airbnb and I wasn't sure how it worked.  I see I do have the option to full amount and that's the dilemma:

a) Should I?  If it's genuine, I would, but I don't if it is.  It  did cause me hassle as I started cleaning, dropped everything etc

b)If I don't can she leave me a bad review? And now she has my address, just turn up on the doorstep and be mean / do something bad?

I would love your thoughts!

7 Replies 7
Aiveen0
Level 2
Ireland

Oh also - yes I've tried contacting airbnb re my concerns but they seem to have made it almost impossible to just message them! was sent around in circles with drop down menus in the help centre! 

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

FIrst - let AIrBnB handle the review - tell your guest you have received no money

I would be less concerned about the fact that she has your address. In fact she knows that you will be home, so it doesn't really make sense to think anyone is turning up to break in.

If she did turn up, you just say that unfortunately AIrBnB has cancelled the request and she will have to contact them to find alternative accommodation and obtain a refund.

My suspicion is this: it was someone looking for a party house, or similar, and saw yours without realising you live on site. 

If she has cancelled then she cannot leave a review as she did not stay.

You may wish to change your settings so that you have at least one day's notice of a booking in future

Good luck

Thanks - yes I'd actually told her I was out from 4 and would leave the key for her.  This is the second time someone has assumed they've the whole place - and I'm wondering if this happens to other people often? Is it me? OR them thats the problem!?

Kathie21
Level 10
England, United Kingdom

Perhaps it woukd help if you added the words 'Double room in a' to the beginnong of your description-  otherwise the first thing a prospective guest reads is 'Spacious, stylish, warm apartment...'  You really have to read your listing very carefully to realise that it's shared space.

Thanks! That's a good point - previously when I'm travelling I choose shared or entire, and just filter it that way. So that's helpful! 

JoAnne229
Level 1
Auburn, WA

I'm a relatively new host and had a late day - last minute reservation that I accepted around 8:30PM.

Texted the guest to request his ETA and no response from him, waited and waited finally I went to bed around 10 PM. (I have a security gate that I have to let people in)

Received a text from guest around 10:15 that he got a hotel room and wasn't coming.

Looks like Air bnb sent his payment to my bank, but he didn't stay. Will Airbnb automatically refund the payment back to the cancelled guest or do I have to do something to process the refund. The guest did not notify Airbnb that he was cancelling.

It seems VERY difficult to notify anyone at AIRBNB directly and it is frustrating when you have a simple question. 

and no their non-personal Q & A is not helpful.

Chi-ching! Free money!

You don't have to do anything. You held up your part of the bargain