Concerned about the new host measurement "reservation percentage accepted" with a goal of 88%

Paul594
Level 3
Gilroy, CA

Concerned about the new host measurement "reservation percentage accepted" with a goal of 88%

I noticed a new host measurement that tracks the percentage of reservations you accept and the goal is set at 88%  Currently my rating is 66%.  My concern is I NEVER turn down a reservation request unless the guest has specifically asked to break one of our house rules.  As a rough guees 70% of the requests I decline are for children.  Our listing says not suitable for children or infants and I have it spelled out in the details as well.  20% are for extended long terms stays of more than 8 days.  I also clearly have this listed that we do not rent out the unit long term.  10% are for people requesting to use the property for a party, and again we clearly say no parties.

I have three points I guess:

1: Airbnb is supposed to have guests agree to house rules before they can book.  Why do they still send these requests through to me instead of blocking the guest from making the request?

2.  In such an instance the decline really should not count against my acceptance percentage.

3.  Finally does anyone have any tips on how to stop these requests?  I've tried being specific and detailed in my listing over and over again but 1/3 of the requests I get still start with" "Hi I see you have some rules and I want to break them."

19 Replies 19
Ivy44
Level 2
Portland, OR

Is there even any penalty being enforced for less than 88% acceptance?

I’m a super host, and have 5 stars across the board. But due to security issues that instant booking  thru Airbnb allowed, I now diligently screen all guests. I eagerly decline anything that I’m not 100% comfortable with. Airbnb’s lack of security  and instant booking actually allowed criminal to enter my property. They stole and damaged property. I’m so disappointed that software is trying to dictate my ranking rather than happy satisfied and SAFE guests.

Has as anyone been contacted by Airbnb or penalize for a less than 88% acceptance?

I have contacted them on this issue and gone around and around.  They just keep suggesting that I update my rules (which have been clearly stated from the beginning).  CS finally told me, “what would you like us to do?”  Has anyone else had better luck?

I'm wondering if all these changes is because there are now so many hosts on Airbnb that they can't afford to payout the benefits they originally set up for hosts. So following the money...if they have 1million hosts reaching and keeping super host status for a year and qualify for $100 travel credit that's $100 million that  Airbnb will not make in revenue. So there's no incentive for them to help hosts maintain super host status because they take the same fee regardless of the host status but have a revenue hurt to superhosts. One could almost say this is Airbnb pulling some moves out of the Uber playbook. Net, if I had to guesstimate the trajectory of these changes, it's only going to get harder to become a super host so I guess we're all going to need to decide if it's more important to have our own personal hosting standards or try to meet Airbnb's criteria even when it doesn't line up with our needs/desires? Sadly that might mean the small time business owner loses out (in a superhost filter as an example) while only the big time corporate Airbnb hosts who can afford to comply with their standards can keep winning...ironically making Airbnb the same as hotel chains in the long run? 

I have to agree that Airbnb's software algorithm leaves much to be desired. I am a Superhost with a 4.8 rating.   My 26 reviews consistently gave me excellent 5star reviews but my 27th review gave me a 1 star because the guest took it negatively when we called   her attention about  breaking  many house rules -  very late chk in with no pre arranged notice, bringing of pets to a no pets allowed house rule,  making extreme noise during quiet hours set,  broken and lost items in the house.  She just decided to be vindictive and now I have been lowered immediately from a 4.8 to a 4.6 with 1 unverified review with  no bearing to the 26 consistent excellent reviews.  I thought Airbnb gives importance to honest ,   accurate reviews?  With what happened I don't think that's the case.   

Michelle2137
Level 4
New South Wales, Australia

so for some reason I've only just seen this acceptance of reservations. maybe because it was 100% so didn't really notice it.

but now its down to 88% and im flagged. I have accepted every reservation and every request. Many of my requests seem to be just people asking questions and they have let the request expire.

One was requesting a weeks stay with a dock. Nah don't have a dock. I've had several requests because guests have asked to stay even though im booked. They usually request if anything changes to let them know. I know I had one who repeatedly booked the wrong dates or dates that didn't suit her while I was going out of my way to make it possible for her to book when she wanted. she got airbnb support on that because I was already booked for the dates she wanted.

So why am I now penalised. it seems more than ridiculous. Is it because even though they requested they didn't actually book?

oh and on the note of bookings, I keep getting instant bookings with no id and no reviews even though I request it.