Condition of rental when visitors leave

Lesley173
Level 2
Arboleas, Spain

Condition of rental when visitors leave

This morning I have had two guests literally 'disappear' without saying goodbye, (very odd, as we had been chatting yesterday afternoon & they said they were having a great time!), then send a message saying that one of them had  taken ill and they were going to visit the hospital.....  and the keys were in the gate.  On finding the keys & going into the apartment, I found someone had been violently sick down the side of the bed & all over the floor, (plus under the bed as I found when I moved it!).......   they had also been smoking, cigarettes & cigars, (in a non-smoking apartment - clearly stated on posting and in guest manual), and had broken some crockery too.  Clearly, someone had been ill, but whether they actually went to hospital or just 'did a runner' to avoid problems over the state of the accommodation, I don't know.  Certainly, although I have managed to clean up the worst, the bed will need to be replaced at the end of the season as will some of the bedding where I can't get the stains out!

I have sent them a message expressing my shock at the state of the accommodation & telling them that they should have told me what had happened, but could any more experienced hosts, (this is my first year and I've had 'perfect' guests so far), tell me if this is a regular occurence that I will just have to chalk up to experience or whether I should take the matter further?

1 Reply 1
Lisa723
Level 10
Quilcene, WA

I don't think this is a "regular occurrence" but it's not unheard of either. The one thing here that is clearly out of bounds is the smoking.  Accidents and illnesses do happen. You can try requesting reimbursement via the resolution center (send/request money) and involve Airbnb if they don't agree to pay. Keep in mind that if one of them is indeed extremely ill this will not be their first concern at the moment, so I would lead with an expression of care and concern for their health.