Continually extra guests staying

Treena3
Level 2
Northern Ireland, United Kingdom

Continually extra guests staying

Hello All, I desperately need some advice and guidance please....

I started hosting a 2 bedroom one bathroom apartment in June of this year and have had 4 bookings so far. In each case I ask specificly how many will be in the party so I can set up the apartment accordingly.

In 3 cases already I know for a fact that 1 extra guests stayed and in one instance an extra 4 guests stayed there than what was actually booked? What do I do?

In the last case my apartment was booked for 4 adults and 1 infant, yet I believe 4 adults, 1 infant and 2 children stayed.  Communication with this guest prior to their arrival was vague  and she sent her mum to collect the keys - it was then I saw the extra 2 children. The guest then asked for a late check out which I facilitated, but she left early before I could actually speak to her in person. I strongly feel she knew that she was over loading the apartment and planned her departure before I could speak to her about it.

Do guests book believing that they can fill all available beds regardless of informing me at the booking stage as they have booked the entire apartment?

I am becoming very disheartened as I feel guests are taking advantage and don’t want to put off future guests by insisting that they are completely honest with me at the booking stage. How do I address this recurring issue without offending potential guests, it can be very awkward opening the door to 3 people when only 2 have booked without jumping to the wrong conclusions.?

I have yet to write a review for that last guest stay with the 2 extra kids as she says via text that she will be back to stay again - how do I make my house rules clear and not prevent future rebooking?

any help greatly appreciated,

thanks 

6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Treena3  Welcome to hosting!  Seems you are off to a good start with your first listing, right?  Your second listing, also an entire apartment, is much larger and is that the one you are having trouble with? For both listings, I notice there are no rules.  Perhaps you skipped that part of the listing.  Under that part you can list about smoking, pets, parties, etc.  You can also state that only registered guests are allowed to be on the premises and that violation of that will result in an immediate cancellation.

If you are able to greet and orient the guest at the time of check in, it does give you a better opportunity to confirm the guest numbers.   While there are those guests that are trying to get something without paying for it, there are those guests that think if a place holds 8, then they can have up to 8 and no questions asked.  Need firm education about how this all works.  

I hope you are clear in your listing rules and refer the guest to those rules during the booking process you will have more trust in the guest, but of course you will always have to inspect what you expect 😄

Treena3
Level 2

Thanks for that Linda. I went back and beefed up the house rules section more to make it clear that about the extra guests. I contacted Airbnb also for support and they said to make it quite clear also at the enquiry and booking stages so that guests are fully aware of what is expected of them. They also said they can contact guests direct on my behalf should extra persons turn up to the property on the day and make it clear the policy about extra guests.

I feel better now having posted on the forum and got good advice from you all, I just need to be firmer with guests and not feel bad about being clear about the extra persons charges. I’m still very much learning....

Julie1076
Level 3
Victoria, Canada

@Treena3 Repetition we find works. Include it in your house rules, as well as house manual. Perhaps include an exerpt stating that extra guests cost x$ and will be charged on arrival if not accurately booked. This may scare off potential rulebreakers 🙂 As an automated custom question for confirmed bookings you can say 'Have you read and agreed to our house rules? In particular the rule about number of guests.' 

As @Linda108 said, confirming in person is always best if possible.

If you do all these things most guests have had several chances to see you mean business and are firm with your rules. This is our approach to it, perhaps it scares off potential guests but my theory is it scares of more potential 'dishonest' guests than honest ones.

Treena3
Level 2

Hello Julie,

Thanks for your advice, I will definitely be using it.

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Treena3  I assume you live close to your rental. Mention you are just moments away if they need anything. I do large groups, but I can see both rentals on my property and the amount of guests there are. So before they show up I tell them I am on the property and can be there in a second if you need anything or have issues. A booking for 8 that does not have extra guest fees, suddenly be comes a booking for 12 with 4 extra guest fees included. 

Treena3
Level 2

Hello Letti,

Thanks for replying. We actually have the apartment upstairs from the one that is currently renting, but unfortunately not always there so cannot watch all the time. 

I just have to make sure that there is no confusion around extra guests staying, that they will be charged.