Credit Card Fraudulently Charged on AirBNB by AirBNB

Answered!
Pari1
Level 1
Seychelles

Credit Card Fraudulently Charged on AirBNB by AirBNB

Hello,

I am trying to seek help/assistance from someone here who has had there creditc ard swiped without approval and then during the conversation with a support rep has had them very rudely state they have the authority to charge credit cards at leisure and also block hosts/travelers for arguing

Case History:

A claim reqeust logged by host for my stay with my friends in BCN in February 2018 was under investigation. The claim was made for EUR 15 and was agreed upon on email by host & traveler (me) and AirBnB was supposed to reply on how to proceed making the payment. Almost a month and no response and then there are multiple attempts to try and charge my credit card for EUR 30 approx (double the agreed amount) without any communication or information provided as the solution for the case in point above.

On alerting the AirBnB support team, i am told the original case manager has left, and another person took over - who as smug as ever sends me a scripted response with no apology. When i ask them to respond to why the card was charged and no communication was sent - another scripted response followed.

So am i to assume that as AirBnb support members are authorized to charge my credit card without my approval and authorization? Is this your AirBnB trust & security policy?? What stops your team from fraudulent use of my card?

The host requires a security deposit  as mentioned on booking -  'required but not chargeable unless claim is made' - a claim although made was never accepted and/or offered to me by AirBnB arbitrators for a possible resolution nobody bothered communicate in this matter.

the support member also said 'My department conducts all of its correspondence via email since we deal with sensitive financial issues and written documentation of our communication is required. I hope you can understand the need for this caution.' - No email was sent to me or no communique was sent to me prior to charging my card.

Please note here that i am not refusing to pay - i have consented to charge of EUR 15 as per the original email and submitted screenshots of my chat with  the host for their review

As an organization that promised me a resolution which is acceptable and approved for payment by me, AirBnB had to request/contact me before charging my card for the proposed solution - not charge it and then expect me to be happy with the resolution.

In the end i am left with the following reply:

'I hope this finds you well. This case has been closed, as we haven’t received a response from you.

A note of this incident has been added to your account. If similar reports are received in the future, we may take further action on your account, including suspension or removal from the community.'

1 Best Answer

@Pari1 - the community forums are manned mostly by other hosts, not anyone from Airbnb.  Check your email settings to see if you have notifications turned off.  Check your spam folder for Airbnb correspondence.  Go to the Resolution Center on the Airbnb platform to see the claim made by the host. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/225/why-didn-t-i-get-my-email-notification

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/280/how-do-i-edit-my-account-settings-or-profile

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

Based on what you said above, it sounds like the host made a claim against their security deposit, which, when Airbnb decides is an appropriate amount requested for the damage done, will charge your credit card.  You agreed to this practice when you signed up for Airbnb and again when you booked a place that required a security deposit. 

https://www.airbnb.com/terms#sec11

11.2 If a Host claims and provides evidence that you as a Guest have damaged an Accommodation or any personal or other property at an Accommodation ("Damage Claim"), the Host can seek payment from you through the Resolution Center. If a Host escalates a Damage Claim to Airbnb, you will be given an opportunity to respond. If you agree to pay the Host, or Airbnb determines in its sole discretion that you are responsible for the Damage Claim, Airbnb Payments will collect any such sums from you and/or against the Security Deposit (if applicable) required to cover the Damage Claim pursuant to the Payments Terms. Airbnb also reserves the right to otherwise collect payment from you and pursue any remedies available to Airbnb in this regard in situations in which you are responsible for a Damage Claim, including, but not limited to, in relation to any payment requests made by Hosts under the Airbnb Host Guarantee.

View Best Answer in original post

5 Replies 5

@Pari1 - the community forums are manned mostly by other hosts, not anyone from Airbnb.  Check your email settings to see if you have notifications turned off.  Check your spam folder for Airbnb correspondence.  Go to the Resolution Center on the Airbnb platform to see the claim made by the host. 

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/225/why-didn-t-i-get-my-email-notification

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/280/how-do-i-edit-my-account-settings-or-profile

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/767/what-is-the-resolution-center

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/264/what-do-i-do-if-my-guest-breaks-something-in-my-place

Based on what you said above, it sounds like the host made a claim against their security deposit, which, when Airbnb decides is an appropriate amount requested for the damage done, will charge your credit card.  You agreed to this practice when you signed up for Airbnb and again when you booked a place that required a security deposit. 

https://www.airbnb.com/terms#sec11

11.2 If a Host claims and provides evidence that you as a Guest have damaged an Accommodation or any personal or other property at an Accommodation ("Damage Claim"), the Host can seek payment from you through the Resolution Center. If a Host escalates a Damage Claim to Airbnb, you will be given an opportunity to respond. If you agree to pay the Host, or Airbnb determines in its sole discretion that you are responsible for the Damage Claim, Airbnb Payments will collect any such sums from you and/or against the Security Deposit (if applicable) required to cover the Damage Claim pursuant to the Payments Terms. Airbnb also reserves the right to otherwise collect payment from you and pursue any remedies available to Airbnb in this regard in situations in which you are responsible for a Damage Claim, including, but not limited to, in relation to any payment requests made by Hosts under the Airbnb Host Guarantee.

Pari1
Level 1
Seychelles

Hi guys! Thank you for the reply. I never received any email from AirBnb and when I contacted them I was given in writing that they will send me the next step of instructions. Unfortunately no email ever came apart from write a review. 

The last email prior to attempting the charge on my card said "Thank you for the explanation. We will contact you soon on the the next steps in regards to settlement"

If AirBnB as is saying they can charge credit cards without communication or approval it amounts to fraud where I live. Even the host when booking was courteous enough to inform the steps. Unlike the customer support manager who was very rude and smug.

I have already escalated this to the bank and my legal advisor. Moreover I never received the email where the resolution settlement payment option was given until I raised the issue of my card being charged. 

@Pari1 - While it is clear that you believe Airbnb is in the wrong for trying to charge you for the damages you caused in the host's home, either because they have decided that the damage amount was more than you agreed to pay or because they didn't ask your permission, I'm sorry that you think this has legal merit or constitutes fraud.  It doesn't look that way to me.

Based on what you've said above, it sounds to me like Airbnb did contact you several times.

1. when the claim was made because you responded to it,

2. when they thanked your for your response to the claim,

3. when the communication was made that "AirBnB was supposed to reply on how to proceed making the payment", and then

4. multiple emails after the attempt to charge your card. 

Of those, the first three were all before trying to collect damage-payment from you. Perhaps you misinterpreted the emails?

The way I see it, by agreeing to the terms and conditions of using the site, you did agree to let them charge you for damages... "Airbnb also reserves the right to otherwise collect payment from you and pursue any remedies available to Airbnb in this regard in situations in which you are responsible for a Damage Claim".  

I'm sorry that you feel wronged and wish you well in sorting this out.  Airbnb will likely miss you as a user since I'm sure you won't ever use them again after they've done this to you.  

@Pari1, I understand not being happy with how this has gone, but I don't think even where you live you would be able to charge AirBnB with fraud.

You have mentioned "If AirBnB as is saying they can charge credit cards without communication or approval it amounts to fraud where I live."

As @Alice-and-Jeff0 has pointed out, you did agree to let AirBnB charge you for damages that it felt were your fault. It is very similar to having your security deposit withheld.

You can continue to be angry at AirBnB, and you can continue to disagree with their assessment of what you are liable for, but to feel AirBnB is commiting fraud on you does not match the facts at hand.

Pari1
Level 1
Seychelles

Thanks Matthew, Alice & Jeff for your comments. I have already found a resolution for this issue and have been in touch with AirBnB payments office. We have found a resolution and it's being taken care of. Rest assured I won't be leaving AirBnB - I work in the travel industry and It's learning for what is right and what could be better at the end of the day.  Thanks for your help and time in providing clarity.