Damage In House Theft Host Guarantee??

Fabs0
Level 4
United States

Damage In House Theft Host Guarantee??

Hi Everyone,

We have been hosting for about a year and have had great experices so far. We have 6 properties on Airbnb and everything has been Great, Until last Sunday we rented one of the homes to a group with no feedback but seemed ok ID verified ect. When we arrived for checkout the following day it seems that we where targeted, by a group of thives it looks like they rented the unit just to gain access. The house was ramsacked several items where stolen damage to lots of the furniture the smell of marijuana is so strong that we need a professional smell removal compay to get it out and the list goes on. It took a few days to finally get someone from Airbnb to get the process going and an adjuster should be here monday. Has anyone had any expirence with the host Guarantees so far it seems that it will be an uphill battle, I will keep everyone posted to how the process goes along
15 Replies 15
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

How awful for you. Unfortunately it seems to me that claiming against any insurance policy is an uphill battle - not one specific to whichever company Airbnb uses for its host guarantee.

My only slightly useful comment based on experience from a tortuous claim on a policy is that insurance companies try to limit their payout and you don't have to say yes to the first offer if it's not enough. In addition in many countries you can, after discussion with the insurance company and failing to reach agreement, involve an insurance ombudsman who will assess both sides case/evidence/policy scope etc

It really depends what you have the appetite for! Good luck

Hi so sorry to hear that before I joined Air Bnb I take an upfront damage deposit of $700 and therefore there is 100% complete respect for my place this day and age you just can't trust anyone I joined Air Bnb and cointinue to still take the damage deposit to protect my property I would do this going forward just be upfront with your guests this way your weed out anyone that should not be renting from you good luck!
Regards,
Mike
Amber1
Level 7
Key West, FL

This sounds sooo similar to the girl in Montreal who just reported the same thing - house reeks of weed, stuff stolen. She posted on the community....

Luke25
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

For what it's worth - we had a near identical situation a few months ago.

Damage was around £700 including stolen items.

At that point we hadn't figured out the security deposit option and so had to use the host guarantee.

The process was a little ambiguous - with some parts of the flow not working properly on the Airbnb site. Throughout, and despite the agents being friendly via email, I had the expectation that we were not going to get anything back.

About two weeks after opening the claim though we were paid some £650 by Airbnb.

I consider that a good outcome and I was happy with it.

We supplied a lot of photos as evidence and it seemed quite clear that the account used to book was fraudulent (new account, cell phone number didn't work).

Hopefully you get a similar outcome! Let us know!

Luke
Luke25
Level 2
London, United Kingdom

For what it's worth - we had a near identical situation a few months ago.

Damage was around £700 including stolen items.

At that point we hadn't figured out the security deposit option and so had to use the host guarantee.

The process was a little ambiguous - with some parts of the flow not working properly on the Airbnb site. Throughout, and despite the agents being friendly via email, I had the expectation that we were not going to get anything back.

About two weeks after opening the claim though we were paid some £650 by Airbnb.

I consider that a good outcome and I was happy with it.

We supplied a lot of photos as evidence and it seemed quite clear that the account used to book was fraudulent (new account, cell phone number didn't work).

Hopefully you get a similar outcome! Let us know!

Luke

Luke,

It's great to hear that you had a positive outcome am hoping we have a similar outcome but our damage and items stolen are a bit more the 700 this is why the are sending an adjustor but you are right I think the process could be better especially in a moment when you are in distress clearer communication I think would have made me feel more at ease
Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

@Fabs0, what happened was awful for you, definitely you appear to have been targeted. If the people whom you invited into your premises caused the damage & theft it's a criminal matter & should be reported & investigated by police. It's not just something to refer to Airbnb for financial recompense.

Going forward you would be advised to have a substantial security deposit since it costs nothing to good guests & deters vandals & opportunistic theives, who will take your property & sell it to recoup their accommodation fee. As hosts who have 6 properties I would suggest that you have placed too much emphasis on filling your calendars and rooms rather than putting in the hours learning how to use the hosting tools to best manage your guest interactions and minimise your risk. Hosting places you and your property in a vulnerable position and there are steps you can take to mitigate risk. 

Never just rely on a verified ID, it does not ensure guest behaviour will be a match to any expectations. Conduct your own background check via online conversations to ascertain the identity of the guest and ask for information about associations, employment connections or community service connections which you can check on. Just having the conversation sets the tone f expectation for all guests contributes to an atmosphere of transparency in the whole community and reduces the perception that as a host you are vulnerable to accepting bookings without really knowing or checking who your guests are. There are individuals who go fishing for hosts who have minimal barriers to entry and hand over access without supervision  during the stay. It reduces the need for break and entry and it even reduces the charges at law when they can claim they were invited. 

If hosts research the online tools, read FAQs and the Help Centreguides, research media stories about Airbnb disaster guests and problems as well as video guides on hosting tips and as much and as many of the Airbnb blogs as you can squeeze in as after dinner reading. No one wants to have a negative view of hosting, but by reading about problems we can formulate strategies to manage them out as far as possible. Its not guarranteed but it is responsible and part of our due diligence. If we dont attempt these things then we are being negligent and increasing our own heartache and overall costs of doing business to ourselves and others. I am not a stooge for Airbnb they would probably be a little less direct, but I guess that's why they have the forums, so that a range of real life tips can be exchanged and weighed up by other hosts and readers. We can blame the guests, they appear to have acted with forethought and malice, but we cant stop at making claims for compensation from Airbnb. We need to see what adjustments we can make going forward, and what gaps may have existed, what things we overlooked or ignored, and thereby contributed to  the possibility of these events occuring/ risks being increased. 

I hope this reflection is not too upsetting, I am not blaming the host for other people's actions, simply pointing out

Good tips and yes the police is involved I also meet ever guest that checks in and ask questions ECT not sure what other step could be taken with professional thieves.
Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

🙂@Fabs0, glad to hear that you mention you meet all guests, this is excellent practice & will assist with any prosecution or claims. 

A security deposit is good hosting practice, & has the added benefit of assisting Airbnb to get funds back quicker to themselves & thence to you. When a guest books, a test is done on their payment method to ensure they have the capacity to pay any charges you might levy, this includes your security deposit. Thieves are discouraged by the thought that they may have to pay for things & the knowledge that you have the capacity to bill them. 

A little bit of ironinic tongue in cheek humour is included in the above host to host exchange. Best wishes going forward. Let us know how things work out in the long run..

Regards, Christine 

Christine1
Level 10
Glenbrook, Australia

Ask for a reference from their Mum.... 😏

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Fabs0

So sorry to hear you had this bad experience.

Other hosts have given you excellent advice.

What I'd like to add here is that other host forums have stated and warned much more clearly than CC that this is a new thieving practice on the verge of going rampant in some areas:

target an IB listing and once the door code is known they cancel upon check in and rob the place.

Hopefully the silver lining on these dramas is it will cause Airbnb to stop pushing IB so much as to almost make it mandatory for getting sufficient bookings. Opening up private homes to absolute strangers can be scary enough. Letting them simply check in unattended is downright opening oneself up to robbery. It's a wonder that thieves hadn't come up with this easy-pickings method before!

Gene-And-Lainie0
Level 1
San Diego, CA

I have been on Air BnB for years and just hosted some guests that damaged my rental home leaving thousands of dollars in damage. I have been trying to contact Airbnb since the day they left, March 16th. I have been given the runaround and not been able to get anybody on the phone for 3 weeks. As of today, I am not one step closer to receiving any reimbursement or the Trust and Safety team assisting me. The Host Guarantee program is in place for hosts just like me in situations where there is excessive damage. I cannot believe that I have not heard from anyone in 21 days to help resolve my issue. I have uploaded pictures and video of clear detailed evidence of damage.....I have even contacted a local San Diego rep from Air BnB that I met at one of the conventions..... and still no assistance. I have called every single day multiple times only to hold for 30 minutes and get a customer service rep, that tells me that someone will be contacting me..... not to mention that it is spring break my second busiest month of the year (a $7000. loss this month) I'm not able to rent my place due to the severe damaged by these guests. As a host with 100% rating I expect resolution, it's been 21 days. im looking at $7000. in lost rental income plus $13000. in damages....ugh its been awful

I have gone through this my self and it can be frustrating, a few things you should be doing twit @airbnbhelp a few times per day the reps that are in that team are part of management and they will get your case moved along trust me it works also email joe.gabbia@airbnb.com with all your replays to trust and safety copy Joe he looks at the emails, I can tell you that the turn time for a case is 14 days from when a case manager is assigned to when the resolution is reached it may take more than a week for a case manger to be assigned so start twitting it gets there attention. My damage was about 20k and they took care of everything

Sent from my iPhone

On Apr 6, 2017, at 6:27 PM, Airbnb Community Centre <community-support@airbnb.com> wrote:

wil

you have to be persistant, and be prepared for some really weird responses, if it comes to it there is an Aribtration process, please keep us advised how things go.

David