Damage to Bench top

Claire637
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Damage to Bench top

Hi All - I've just arrived to clean our property, and unfortunatly, it appears one of the guests used our stone kitchen bench as a bottle opener.

I have contacted the guest via Airbnb, and sent a note to Airbnb.  I received an automatic response from Airbnb saying to send a payment request to the guest.

I'm trying to arrange a quote to fix/repair (my guess is it isn't fixable) - but I suspect it will take at least a  week or so to receive a quote.

What should I be doing?  

Would appreciate any advice please.

First bit of real damage in over 20 stays 😞Bench.jpg

3 Replies 3
Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Claire637

Hi Claire, so sorry you have had this experience, it doesn't happen often but, obviously you have been caught. 

There is possibly a fortunate aspect to this in that, being stone, the benchtop can be repaired. I am not sure about Melbourne but there is a company in Adelaide called 'Stonecraft' and they competently attend to repairs like this! I am sure the same sort of facility as this would exist in Melbourne....maybe a Google search would be a good place to start.

You have contacted Airbnb so, there is a record of this incident with them, and that is important. Make sure your photo evidence is date stamped. You have 14 days to compile quotes for the recification of this damage and submit a claim to the resolution centre.

1. Go to the Resolution Center on airbnb.com
  2. Choose the relevant reservation
  3. Under Select a reason, select Request compensation for damages
  4. Click Continue to submit details about the damages and associated costs on the next page.

If your guest agrees to the amount you requested, Airbnb will release the agreed amount to your payout in 5-7 business days.....assuming the guest gives access to the funds!

If your guest declines or doesn't respond within 72 hours, click Involve Airbnb in your Resolution Centre case. If they require additional documentation, you'll have a further 72 hours to provide this documentation. Make sure you respond to all correspondence promptly and within the timeframe given. If you don't meet a communication deadline Claire, the Resolution Centre may close your case with no further right of reply.

Sorry this has happened to you Claire and I hope it gets resolved equitably for you.

Cheers......Rob

Claire637
Level 2
Melbourne, Australia

Hi @Robin4 - thank you for such a detailed reply so quickly!

My worry was the whole kitchen bench would need replaced - but I have got in touch with someone similar to who you have mentioned and they mentioned it might be around $200 to repair.  They did say it wouldn't be a flawless repair though - but as long as it's reasonably good, I suppose that'll have to do!

Thank you again - I really appreciate it.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Claire637

Claire, the repair will be good, we have granite benchtops which did suffer similar damage to yours....the dropping of a cast iron cooker...... and the repair, while not being totally undetectable would need to be pointed out in detail for an observer to notice.

As that is the case and you already have a quote I would suggest you contact the guest via the message page (keep all communication through Airbnb messages, do not respond to personal calls or messages) and ask if they will assume responsibilty for the cost of the repair. If they agree, on the message page with this guest hit the send/request money red field at the top of the page.

A box will appear asking for a reason you are requesting money and an amount. Click 'Submit' and when the guest approves, the amount will automatically be taken from the guests payment method and forwarded to your account. This is quick simple and painless and does not involve the resolution centre, it all happens automatically.

If the guest denies any responsibility or refuses your request, then proceed as I deatiled in my first reply.

All the best with it Claire.

Cheers......Rob