Damage to our home

Damage to our home

Greetings Everyone

I am sharing my story because I feel all hosts need to know how important it is to protect your home from unruly guests. We recently had our first guest in our vacation home on the Columbia River by the Gorge Amphitheatre. Sadly our first experience did not go very well. We met the group coming in (a party of 😎 , we went over the house rules walked them around our home and felt like we connected with them. Our home is a special place in the world, and we really were hoping to attract people that would enjoy it! Unfortunately our guests decided to host a party there and had over 50 people in our home.Our floors subsuquently were damaged (over $14,000). We contacted airbnb , we were directed to message the guests to see if they would pay for the damages, after 3 days of no resolve we were allowed to escalate this to a case manager and seek coverage under the "Host Guarantee". Our case manager asked us to get a bid from a contractor as well as furnish them with the original cost of the flooring (not the easiest thing to find but we did), they had us send pictures of the damage to them as well as getting a professional statement from the contractor. We did all of this (keeping in mind we live over 2 hours away from our vacation home), Airbnb emails us with this; keep in mind the damage is over 800 square feet

Hi Bryan and Lisa,

Thank you for your patience throughout this process.

After careful review of all related documentation and communication, we have issued a $50 security deposit payout for the reported damage. You can view this payout in your Transaction History.

While the documentation you provided far exceeds this amount, Airbnb is only able to reimburse for fair market value of the damaged areas in question. The average laminate flooring costs from $2.40-$4 per square foot and since you have higher grade flooring, we've issued the payout based on $5 per square foot for the 10 feet of estimated damage.

It's been a pleasure to assist you. Please let me know if you have any further questions or concerns regarding this case.

Best regards,

Sydney
www.airbnb.com/help

$50 on damages over $14,000 (we have a $1500 security deposit on our rental who knows were that went) and no further explanation as to how they came up with $50. We have emailed, called and have gotten no support or help, I am shocked as a frequent airbnb traveler I have always had a good experience. But as a host this can't be the way business is conducted, we are devasted. Does anyone have any thoughts or ideas as to where to take this issue?

Sincerely 

Bryan and Lisa

45ac1303-ec46-4997-98ec-871b0d35a8f1.jpg

30 Replies 30
Anna758
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

It seems you can do 3 things. 1. Twitter, don’t know response rate.

2. Your Facebook page. This means usually gets a response from airbnb

3. Local new station. In The Bay Area a house had fire damage and they couldn’t get money out of Airbnb. Either ch 7 on your side OR I am almost positive it was  ch 3( consumer) investigates, got them to pay.

i have made one claim and jumped through the same hoops with no payout.

If you can get  a lot of friend to like it and respond. All the better.

good luck.

anna