Day 28: Bringing families together

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Day 28: Bringing families together

serious-request-maandag-9.jpg                                            *The 3FM Glass House* 

Hello everyone!

I hope you're all well.

Today, I want to share something about an interesting event called 'Serious Request' that I attended to a few days ago.

During the Dutch Serious Request, three popular radio DJs are locked up for six days in a small temporary radio studio which is a glass house, placed in the main square in a different city each year. Living on a juice-only fast, the DJs make an interactive, themed broadcast around the clock.

Funds are raised in a few different ways. While the DJs are in residence, they play songs requested by listeners and visitors, in return for their donations. Celebrities and artists also donate personal possessions or performances, which are auctioned off. Straightforward donations are made to the project's bank-account, and by physical visitors depositing cash and cheques into the house's letterbox.

This year the Serious Request was organised in my hometown Apeldoorn and the goal was to raise funds in order to help families finding their loved ones in disaster and conflict zones. I was shocked to hear that worldwide, more than four million family members have lost each other due to a disaster or conflict.

Isn't it great that there is a team of people capable of bringing families together again during this special time of the year? Do you have similar events like Serious Request in your area?

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

7 Replies 7
Emiel1
Level 10
Leeuwarden, The Netherlands

Belgium has a similar event:

Music for Life. From 18 - 24 december 2017.

https://dewarmsteweek.stubru.be (Dutch language)

Kimberly54
Level 10
San Diego, CA

Hi @Quincy, Very weird and very cool.  Nothing like that here, but I had about a gazillion frequent flyer miles nearly ready to expire and I donated all of them to one of the organizations working on the recent (numerous!) disaster places to be redeemed for anything--food, clothing, lodging, etc.

The world really is a community, lest we forget that sometimes!

Best always!

Kim

@Kimberly54 You are such a kind and generous person and I wish this world had more people like you :). The world would be a better place! 

Honestly, @Oomesh-Kumarsingh0, I think a lot of us here are very much this way, and why we reach out like this.  :-))  Open homes = open hearts.  (Haha! All I see we need to work on is communication!) ;-)))))

Happy to be part of this world, and so very glad to know you!

Best ever,

Kim

@Kimberly54 You are absolutely correct communications is very important. We need to be more like a community than simply individuals! 

J-Renato0
Level 10
Rio de Janeiro, Brazil

@Quincy
I think it is a beautiful event the ones you have described. It can really help people in serious difficult. Moreover, it can attract atention to some problems that are not very noticiable, the ones that people in general even do not know that it exists.

I like you story. Happy New Year!

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

@Quincy Great post! Generosity is becoming a rare gem.