[Debate] Curtains make a room more cosy, blinds are clinical. What do you think?

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

[Debate] Curtains make a room more cosy, blinds are clinical. What do you think?

Curtains.jpeg

Hello everyone,

We all have our preferences for decorations, furnishings and appliances at home; carpet or floorboards? Wallpaper or paint? Gas stove or electric hob? The list is endless...we all have our reasons for our choice, whether practical or decorative, and I thought it might be interesting to exchange our opinions in the form of a debate! 🙂

We recently discussed whether to carpet or not to carpet and I think at the moment, not to carpet is definitely the winner...you never know though, there maybe some carpet fans out there, take a look here.

The theme for this debate is windows and what we use to cover them: “Curtains make a room more cosy, blinds are clinical. What do you think?”

It would be great to hear your preference below and why, feel free to share photos as examples too!

I’m looking forward to seeing which one will be the most popular!

Thanks,

Lizzie

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.

18 Replies 18
Melissa442
Level 2
Wales, United Kingdom

Blinds for me.  My listing is rural so my guests don't need to cover the windows until its dark, maybe not even then if its a starry night. Curtains get in the way and make rooms look smaller.

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

Curtains.

Beautiful place Sandra.

Rebecca181
Level 10
Florence, OR

I think it really depends on the style and architecture of the dwelling itself. A plantation style house pairs best with plantation shutters; an industrial, urban dwelling might benefit from minimalist window treatments of some kind, in black or white; a Victorian-era or Parisian flat pairs well with voluminous drapes, be they patterned, colored, or discretely neutral. Allowing the space to speak to you and dictate the choice is, in my opinion and experience, always the best way to go when it comes to interior decor and design.

Give me some simple, informal, transparent cotton curtains, and I'll be a happy woman, but give me drapes or flannel tents "country" and you'll get the worst from me.

I do not like the shutters: if I have to choose, I prefer the interior ones, equipped with slats, provided with hinges that allow the opening, while unfortunately in Italy the most common type is that external to the window.

I do not like blocking the light of day. I do not like covering the windows with shielding. Some windows do not need to be "dressed", they are already beautiful in themselves: if I want to shield the sunlight or I want more intimacy I use a roller blind that creates a delicate architectural festoon: I use light colored fabrics.

I detest frills and trimmings, tassels, gallons and fringes. I love light, transparent curtains (not necessarily white): similar to frosted glass, they create a relaxing and soft atmosphere.

If you want to create a fun and decorative effect, sew in a row on the fabric some square pockets, in some of which you insert your small favorite items.

If you want to add an original touch to your home, to a pair of white cotton curtains apply with Velcro strips detachable vertical stripes in bright colors. You can make changes in rotation depending on the season, your mood or the festivities (Christmas, Halloween, etc.): the effect is surprising.