Difficult experience with a guest

John467
Level 2
Atlanta, GA

Difficult experience with a guest

What to do when a guest has, in their minds, a bad experience and does not allow you to make it right? A recent guest said my place was dirty but that came from him wiping the underside of the toilet bowl. He made claims directly to Airbnb instead of asking me first to remedy the situation and he did that at 2am meaning I didn't see it until I got up the next morning. I responded immediately and did everything to make it right even though I didn't see the same things he was seeing. I had the place re-cleaned, washed all the sheets over again and invited him back. He was "too traumatized" and claimed to have cut his visit short. Then he gave me the most horrific review. I'm not sure what to do or if I should reach out to the two reservations I have to cut this off at the pass.  Any suggestions?

Thanks

**[Post Title Updated]

3 Replies 3
Huaai0
Level 10
British Columbia, Canada

Sounds like there are so many weirdos in the USA. Have never run into any bad Canadian guest like that in Canada.

Deb7
Level 2
Scottsdale, AZ

Hi John,

I had the same experience once.  Similar situation as he also didn't give me a chance to remedy.  All you can do is give a very responsible answer to his nasty review.  Here's what he wrote and what I wrote...

User Profile Image
Joe
March 2015
The place is basic and simple. 3 beds is a generous description. The hassle of this place was all the manual controls that were necessary to enter the home. Had to give our flight info, call the host upon arrival and then meet the property manager.

Helpful

User Profile Image
Response from Deb:
Hello Joe, I'm surprised and disappointed in your comments. During your stay you never let us know you were unhappy. The home includes a gas grill, pool (including pool floats and an electric blower to inflate them) two TVs with premium sports and movie channels, two brand new beds purchased in 2015 with hypoallergenic covers, high-speed internet, a kitchen stocked with just about everything a chef could ask for, and a welcome binder full of useful information about the house and the city of Scottsdale. The first page of the welcome binder has a letter to our guests encouraging them to call us if we can do anything to improve their stay. You never called. For the safety of our guests we don't leave keys under the mat. A quick call is all it takes for us to meet you at the house and provide you the keys-- which we did, without delay. To be fair, we also accommodated your request for early check in at 8:30am instead of 3pm... but you neglected to mention that in your review. The happiness of our guests is very important to us, but please understand, if you don't let us know you have an issue, you provide us no opportunity to resolve it. All the best, Deb
March 2015

So now, while trying to resolve this mess, Airbnb send me a notification that I'm at risk of being suspended for 30 days. I don't get it. I've been hosting for almost 6 years and never had a bad review. A 1 star review now puts ME at risk and there's apparently nothing happening to the guest.  And Airbnb, in order to maintain "fairness" is leaving the review in place not taking into consideration that the guest, for all intents and purposes, was lying about it all.