Disappeared Guest Protocol?

Disappeared Guest Protocol?

It's now been 4 hours since my guest said they would be arriving. They're coming in tonight for a 3 night stay. They said they would be taking an Uber or Lyft, but I haven't heard from them for the last 5 hours. I've called her number (it's "no-longer in service") and I've messaged her repeatedly to contact me. I haven't been given any reason to believe she's changed plans or is canceling... etc.

What's the protocol in this situation? Should I:
- call in a missing persons report
- check with the airport? (she gave me all the flight info etc)
- be calling Airbnb? (I'll be trying this after this post)

All help appreciated, thanks!
- Jonathan

18 Replies 18
Barb6
Level 10
Stevensville, MI

I would just wait. It could be a delay from the airport, traffic or they decided to eat or shop before they came. Is the guest international? The last guest I had were international and their phones would not work here in the States. We just waited. They came 6 hours later than expected.

Its really not up to you to find them. Unless you have plans, just relax. If you have plans then you could leave a note as to how to get in or reach you. If they were staying at a "hotel" , it wouldn't matter to them. They are not your worry till they arrive.

They are international, but they held consistent contact with me until they messaged "I'll be on my way in 30 minutes". This was after they already arrived in town and she had specifically asked for an early check-in. (so there are a couple things that make me worry that that isn't thew case)

Nas0
Level 1
New York, NY

Give it a little time before calling in missing persons . Flight status sounds lIke a good move 

They've already communicated that they landed and were headed over shortly though. That's that sticker.

Barb6
Level 10
Stevensville, MI

He said they messaged him after they were already on their way, in town. I would still just wait. I still feel its really not your worry. Things happen.

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

You will get no shows, sometimes you will find out why, sometimes not.

David

Good to know it's not uncommon. I haven't had it yet were they completely stop what seems like good communication though. (I am a noob of course)

@Jonathan120 Here's another possibly. I have heard from other hosts of guests who pulled up in front of their house and just didn't like the look of the place and turned around and left. Read a good book, watch a terrible movie, take a deep breath - count to 10 and exhale slowly ... and wait. They are not your responsibility. If they show they show. I already put your place on a wish list if I ever need a place to stay in Omaha, good luck dude 🙂

Haha, thanks James. I will remember your advice.

UPDATE :

As most suggested, everything is perfectly fine. My guest arrived just a moment ago.

Thank you for all of the input/recommendations!

- Jonathan

Yay!

Whew!  It might be interesting to know the reason for the rest of us hosts but if you can't because it might disclose your guest, that is fine too.  Barbara

It turned out that (according to them), neither their uber or lyft app was working. Then on top of that, they didn't have data or my number saved. They ended up getting a rental car and heading to a cafe for a bit (I would've done a lot differently in their situation, but that's my bias). They ended up being a great guest though, full of deep valuable discussions, and they treated me to dinner 🙂

New experiences, different mind-frames - can't complain...

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Jonathan120...Wow, look at the trouble they went to, to get to you! I bet they turn out to be amongst the best guests you will ever host.

And thank you Jonathan for the caring way you have treated this whole thing. You have shown a genuine concern for this guest that no hotel/motel/lodge, or any other form of accommodation would ever show....

You mate are a true Superhost...cheers....Rob