Discrimination Policy

Donna37
Level 5
Gourhel, France

Discrimination Policy

I just read the email from Brian Chesky that came with the new Discrimination Policy. Sounded a lot like bullying tactics to me! I live in the home where I rent out a room. If I continue to do that with Airbnb, I no longer have any say in who comes into my home. This is NOT okay. I will no longer feel safe if I cannot have interaction with potential guests. This my home and I have enjoyed the Airbnb experience using it, but not under this new policy.

36 Replies 36

I haven't received the e-mail so it's a but unfortunate to have to piece it together from news articles.  You'd think they'd inform their hosts first, who by and large understand AirBnB concepts a lot better than journalists from most media publications.

But one thing that was mentioned is that when you reject a guest, those dates will then be automatically blocked for any other guests.

That's a huge problem because the only cases where I've so far rejected guests is when the guest didn't understand that the place was booked and put in fake dates just so he could get his inquiry in.   After I explain that it's already booked for his real dates, that would then result in his fake dates also getting blocked.   

I've pointed this out many times to AirBnB in feedback, that this should be a reason for rejecting an inquiry, as 'not actual dates' has never been listed as a reason.

Don't users have to pay up front? If someone puts in fake dates, let them cancel or pay you for days they won't be there. Seems like a win-win to me.  Why would you need to cancel?

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Not cancel an actual booking: decline an inquiry.

It was unclear at the time if merely declining an inquiry would end up blocking those dates.

It turns out (very likely) that only certain reasons for declining will result in blocked dates.

Merrill0
Level 3
Oakland, CA

Donna,

I am also a woman renting out a room in the house in which I live. It doesn't seem like I am going to be able to feel safe with airbnb if they push everyone into Instant Book. I am opening up my whole life, but don't even know the first thing about the guest other than, "Hi! I'm (insert name)!" The briefest of bios gives me confidence that I'm not going to be renting to ... I don't know exactly who, but I still know I want to know more about each guest.

I used to live in the Middle East and didn't rent to single male ME guests because my neighbors would've been scandalized and I would not have been safe with those guests. I know this looks like blatant discrimination, but I lived in that culture and knew what was what there. Airbnb did not and should not assume to.

By the way, does anyone in the company ever read these posts are are we just blathering?

Daliah0
Level 1
Chicago, IL

It looks like I am not alone in my feelings about the new potential discrimination policy. I think it's one thing to enact policies for "entire apartment" listings but it makes no sense to have the same requirements for people listing a private room. I am also a single woman who rents a room in my apartment. I ask potential guests all sorts of questions about their stay, why they're coming and pay close attention to the reviews.  I also rarely rent to single men staying without a woman. I'm failing to see how it could be important to FORCE people sharing their actual home where they are living to host guests "indiscriminantly," when their safety and comfort (IN THEIR OWN HOME) can be easily compromised.

I also didn't like that I had to read about this in a news article and there has been no direct communication by Airbnb to their hosts. (I did not receive the email from Brian Chesky.) I guess what happens remains to be seen. It would be unfortunate if I had to end my hosting relationship with Airbnb...especially since I've met some wonderful people and have received great reviews. Hosting as also been the reason I can pay my rent on time during some months!

@Daliah0  Please look at my response in which I copy the part of the policy that exempts shared housing spaces.  Might make you feel better.  That you didn't get the email might be related to settings.  Check your settings for communication from Air BNB.

Hi, thanks for this info...for some reason I'm unable to find this comment.

@Daliah0  OOOPS  my error in referencing my previous response.  I mis-remember what discussion thread I was responding to.  Anyway, here is the Air BNB Non-Discrimination Policy link.  Please note the policy for shared spaces.

https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/1405/airbnb-s-nondiscrimination-policy--our-commitment-to-inclus...

Thanks very much! I'll be interested to see how Airbnb differentiates shared spaces from entire homes in the actual handling of reservations.

Julie104
Level 3
Christchurch, New Zealand

This only has specifics related to the US so doesn't look like what we may have to sign tomorrow.

The email says it I don't sign it my future bookings will be cancelled.

My property is mine and I should have the ultimate right to decide who stays. I don't, and have never discriminated except to decline 6 17-18 year olds wanting to rent at New Year - an absolutely unacceptable booking.

But I should still have the right to choose as long as I am clear and respectful in my reasons for declining?

This policy really concerns me

What settings? Can you please be more specific? It looks like 90% of hosts did NOT receive this email. And I am amongthat large majority.

Jude-and-Michel0
Level 1
Byron Bay, Australia

Are we in Australia required to agree? Happy to, but cannot find the button. Slightly weird when we have only two days to agree, unless it applies only to other countries, such as only US.

I found the answer - the Agree button will be activated this Tuesday 1st November.

Julie-And-Keith0
Level 1
San Diego, CA

I've been a super host for a couple of years. I rent rooms in my own home and I am very discerning regarding who I rent to which has resulted in a great experience for me. I do this because I enjoy it! I will not be made to feel like I am doing anything wrong by being selective about who I rent to. By the way, I have rented to people from all over the world. That policy needs to be rewritten in my opinion. I won't sign it as written.

From the e-mail I received yesterday it's also not clear what happens exactly when you don't sign: 

=====

=====

So it seems that if you decline then you can still host the existing bookings that you've accepted.  It does not mention this specifically and immedeately begins about account cancellation, which would clearly cancel your existing bookings and inconvenience your booked guest.

Has anyone seen the exact final text though?   It's not difficult to accept to not discriminate based on ethnicity, gender, etc.   It only gets complicated due to AirBnB's insistence on conflating it with that InstantBook feature.   (So just signing the agreement in itself isn't actually all that controversial IF it's actually an anti discrimination policy without any business policies mixed in.

If it's ACTUALY just the following (also from that e-mail) then that's a complete no-brainer to accept: 

====

What is the Community Commitment?
You commit to treat everyone—regardless of race, religion, national origin, ethnicity, disability, sex, gender identity, sexual orientation or age—with respect, and without judgment or bias.

====

The above doesn't even state that you can't decline a person from a particular country, it just says you have to do so respectfully.  (I can't imagine that being the case though.    That email raised a lot more questions than it answered.)