Dishonest about number of guests and destruction of property

Dishonest about number of guests and destruction of property

My current reservation is for 4 guests.  For a 5 bedroom house.  We charge extra for each person after 4 people.  Our door alarm went off.  I check the camera footage to the front front door.  There were dozens of ppl came in and stayed.  I notified the guests that they are in violation.  They replied by saying to will stay within the agreement.  The next day I got another notice.  We check and the door was left open.  We come to the property and found.  All the doors were opened we had no choice but to inspect our home to make sure everything was okay.  We found all beds we slept in.  All of our pillows and blankets are used on sofas ( we don’t allow our guests to sleep on sofas per our house rule).  Temperatures set to 98 degrees with the cold weather in Chicago this could have destroy our furnaces.  My husband talk to the guest they don’t deny more than 4 slept there, but wouldn’t confirm how many.  Any advice where to go from here is helpful.  As I am typing this message another alarm went off.  HELP!

5 Replies 5
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Kim-and-Bob0

Point of no return has already been reached and beyond. You have to take action, stop being weak and submissive.

You must contact airbnb urgently to discuss, but more importantly you need to immediately get over to your property, terminate the trip and eject the occupiers and take back control.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kim-and-Bob0

I would ask them to leave immediately when I would discover they are breaking my house rules and brought unregistered guests to the property. Kick them out now!

I would also contact Airbnb to shorten their stay / cancel the rest of this reservation. The best is if you do that after they evacuate.

I would inspect the property for any damage, make photos and videos for the evidence and file a damage claim through the resolution center. I would ask for extra people fee + all the damage done if any.

In my refund claim I would attach all photo evidence + video footage showing extra people enter the property.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

I am not quite sure why you didn't ask Airbnb to cancel the booking, when  you saw there were many more people arriving at the property then had booked.

What do you mean by  'they replied by saying to will stay within the agreement'.  Surely they had already broken the agreement by having all these guests. You couldn't have really believed that they weren't going to stay???

So to minimise further breaking of your house rules. Contact Airbnb tell them that the guest had violated your house rules by having many more people book than had paid (even though they had assured you this would bethe case), presenting a security risk to your property by leaving all the doors open,and putting your furnance at risk by having the temperature too high.

Ask them to cancel the booking straight away so you can ask your guests to leave.

Thank you everyone for your advice.  I had a simulator situation before, Airbnb had been most unhelpful, that’s why I turn to you for help and your wisdom is greatly appreciated.

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Kim-and-Bob0

I didn't have such situation before so all I can tell you is theoreticaly. I've heard here on CC hosts are complaining how Airbnb was not helpfull and need to much time to react. This is why I said it would be the best if you kick them out and then call Airbnb to shorten/ cancel the rest of their reservation

But, if you can't do it for some reason you can cancel / shorten their stay through Airbnb and then if they don't want to evacuate you can call the police for trespassing. Also, Airbnb charges double nightly price for overstay .

Code locks and security cameras are very usefull in such situations.