Dishonest guest

Melody11
Level 1
Calgary, Canada

Dishonest guest

I got the booking two days ago,and they were booking for two people and after they booked. She sent me message said my husband and my "kids" looking forward to meet you! And I asked her how many kids she has and then she said she has"4 kids" who are 15ys boy,8ys boy,5ys girl,4ys boy,actually we have two kids too so we don't mind there are kids gonna stay in our place but I am really upset when I told her I have to charge 20 dollars more per night for her oldest son who already more than 12ys she just said I didn't say any extra charge on my page but actually I did set up for only 2people so there's no extra charge fee! They are coming the day after tomorrow how can I do...can I cancle their booking?
7 Replies 7
Ana7
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Don't ever cancel as a host (it complicates your status), but make the guest cancel! Flag your conversation and contact airbnb! 

Donna15
Level 10
Delft, Netherlands

@Melody11, do not cancel the reservation yourself. 

You can reach AirBnB via the Help link at bottom of this page.

Or via Facebook.

https://www.facebook.com/airbnb/?fref=ts

Or – if you have a Twitter account - try twitter@airbnbhelp. It’s said there’s a quick response.

Essential reading for hosts.

Contains a link with several international phone numbers (‘Contact AirBnB’).

https://community.airbnb.com/t5/General-Hosting/Community-Help-Guides/m-p/23100#U23100

Here’s the number for Canada and the US.

+1 (415) 800 5959 / +1 855 424 7262 (emergency toll-free number)

T

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

Don't cancel the booking.  She's the one who's acted dishonestly and she should be penalised, and you rewarded.   Message her back and say "As it states in my listing, the maximum number of guests I can accommodate is two.  Whilst we are keen to honour your booking for two guests, we are not able to accommodate six.  Unfortunately only two guests will be able to stay overnight.   Unless you are able to find alternate arrangements for the other 4 members of your party, I strongly advise you to cancel.  Can I also suggest you take the time to review the Airbnb Travelling with Children guidelines, and follow them.  These state "If a host adds Family/Kid Friendly as an amenity, this implies that infants, children, and families are welcome in their listing. You'll still need to disclose the total number of guests, including infants and children, accurately when making a reservation request."

Also, if you are prepared to accept more guests, then you need to change your policy to charge for every single guest, regardless of age.  As most experienced hosts will attest, nothing is more likely to lead to damage than a party that includes children.  Also, families with children, particularly infants and toddlers, use far more resources and are more costly to host than any other demographic.  Most of us would charge a premium for hosting the under 8's if we could 😞

It's outrageous. Ask her to cancel from her side as you haven't got enough space to accommodate all of them. Fyi, we always charge for kids too. They get a bed with bedclothes, towels abd eat breakfast etc. Why should kids be free?
Lori0
Level 3
Bowling Green, KY

I would send a request to alter the reservation and change the number of guests and also change the amount you are to be paid. You simply state if the accoomodations needed are more for more people,  and they have to accept the changes made to these as your expenses are also more. Personally, I think kids should be charged as a person. I love doing airbnb, but it is a service job, and more people, more to please, no matter the age.

LoriKy
Le6
Level 1
Regina, Canada

Recently a guest described the reason for their stay as a stop as they roadtripped across the country. The same day they attempted to make a change to their booking describing a change to their flight times.

I refused the change and cancelled the booking. why would they lie ?  It couldnt possibly be " flight changes " and " roadtripping" across the country

I told them I would refund any money I received.  which I did.  

Why the lie? What else would they lie about ?  Booking cancelled.

Yes it is more difficult for hosts to contact Airbnb than guests. 

this guest messaged me that they had called Airbnb and had the the refund difference settled for them, in minutes !  I am still struggling to find a contact number for Airbnb !!