Doesn't pass the "sniff test"

Cody29
Level 2
Hartford, WI

Doesn't pass the "sniff test"

On October 4th I had a potential guest contact me wishing to book October 20th to January 20th for a 12-week Employment contract at a local hospital as a Cardiology nurse. Everything about her seemed OK so I pre-approved her. She informed me after preapproval she doesn't have enough money on her debit card right now and gets paid on the 15th and does not have a credit card. She would like to book after the 15th for her reservation starting the 20th. My monthly rate is about $750 w/ taxes & fees and she says she doesn't have that much money to her name 2-weeks prior to her arrival. I'm worried about hosting a squatter but in my mind she shouldn't have any problem making what she needs to cover the Monthly rent. If she was paying by credit card and was more emphatic about booking the listing I would rest easy. I've already informed her that I could accept a 3rd party reservation at any point prior to her confirming her booking, during her requested dates and that would make her stay impossible. She understood that. So my question is, do I accept the short notice booking and hope she makes good or do I tell the guest that I have concerns about her ability to pay future rent? 

6 Replies 6
Steve2743
Level 10
Calgary, Canada

In my opinion, that would be a hard pass. I understand wanting to be sympathetic to her financial issues, but this sounds like it's going to be a very difficult guest to deal with. Possibly asking for a huge discount if/when she does finally get the money to book. And will probably result in a mediocre review. 

Steve
Paula-and-Gill0
Level 4
New Paltz, NY

Nope, nope and nope. Don't do it. If it doesn't feel right, then don't risk it. 

Joanne30
Level 2
Kailua-Kona, HI

If it were me I would be just say no. 

Not worth the risk. 

Elaine701
Level 10
Balearic Islands, Spain

@Cody29 

Guests who have money issues or pay the lowest price are often the least satisfied with the accommodation. 

Or there's something that inevitably costs "more", because they're trying to "save money".

Just one example... we make it blatantly clear that showing up without a car will leave you pretty isolated. By car, shopping and restaurants are only 2 minutes away. By foot, it's minimum 1/2 hour each direction, and it could be oppressively hot, or chilly & rainy in the off season. But they still occasionally show up without a car... presumably to save money.

So, they end up paying ridiculous taxi fees or walking long distances in the hot sun, and naturally, are unhappy. And ultimately, it's always our fault. 

Nowadays, if an inquiry or request (particularly the "no profile, no history" type) exhibits money issues, I clarify in detail what they're paying for, and ask if it's really suitable for them. They usually say yes, as long as they get a discount, which I won't give. Sorry. 

I just recently scared away two inquiries who requested a discount from an already heavily discounted off season price. They're trying to book a spacious 8 person villa.. Fully heated in mid winter ...for two persons, and they think it's too expensive. I can pretty much predict that they're not going to be happy with the price, and that will likely lead to other dissatisfactions, real or imagined. They should be looking at a one bedroom apartment or something. 

So, help them make the right choice. One they'll be happy with. 

Laura2592
Level 10
Frederick, MD

@Cody29 a cardiology nurse that can't pay a $750 rent? No thanks. Either this is a really irresponsible person or an untruthful one. 

This is another reason not to do long term stays. I was a landlord for years. All of my tenants got a credit and background check. Sometimes I required proof of funds. I had a lease and local laws about eviction. On Airbnb you got nothing but the word of a stranger. 

Just say no. 

@Laura2592  As an aside, a few years ago we got a request that magically filled up about 3 months of calendar almost to the day of reservations on either side.  The proposed 'guest' was a blond woman who claimed she was a med student coming here for an internship [but the dates didn't really fit the typical school year]...she was going to be working all the time [ahem], almost never home [ahem] and she coincidentally also had a cat [like we do].  I thought it had SCAM written all over it, so we declined her.  It might be my paranoid nature but it seemed 'oh look, its the totally perfect, safe, future female doctor animal lover guest' what could go wrong??? I always assume if it looks too good to be true it is.