Don't make it mandatory for new hosts to use Instant Book

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Don't make it mandatory for new hosts to use Instant Book

I think BnB shouldn't make it mandatory for some new hosts to use Instant Book. This has led to new hosts having to take on unsuitable, guests or being penalised because they don't understand the system and cancel guests who aren't a good match. It has also led to concern from existing hosts that it will be made mandatory for all hosts.

It isn't a good introduction for new hosts to being on BnB. There are numerous complaints on the other forums and social media.

I have contacted BnB via social media and the other forums to try and understand why it is doing this and get a response on behalf of new and existing hosts. However BnB refuses to answer and just says it will pass my comments on (to who?) or that new hosts can use house rules to filter.

It never answers the simple question - why have you introduced manadatory Instant Booking for new hosts and will you allow hosts who are uncomfortable with this to turn it off?

As we know no house rules can cover all bases and it is often when communicating with a guest that you understand whether they are a good match.

Response from Airbnb

Instant Book is not mandatory for any host - although we encourage hosts to give Instant Book a shot.

If you do decide to turn on Instant Book, there are safeguards in place to help make sure that you’re only accepting bookings from suitable guests. You can choose to only accept Instant Book from guests who have been recommended by other hosts, you can require Instant Book to accept guests who have government-issued ID, and all Instant Book guests must agree to your House Rules. Plus, you can cancel Instant Book reservations immediately without penalty of any kind, if you feel uncomfortable with our guest or with someone who breaks your house rules.

Many hosts find that they get up to two times the reservations when they turn on Instant Book.

You can find more information here.

61 Replies 61
Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

Airbnb's facebook page, tell them how you feel. i did and they responded "Thank you for your feedback. We will direct this to the right team."

Let your voice be heard.

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

^ I don't think this needs raising in public especially if in a confrontational way.  It's fine being confrontational, but then in relatively private channels for hosts such as this one.

The reason they're pursuing this is likely related to a couple things: pursuing the business market means that a faster response to an inquiry or booking is needed, with 'instant' being best.   

--> Suggestion: link 'business ready' with instant book, don't force it on everyone and especially not hosts who live in the same place.

Another reason:  avoiding any and all opportunity for racism.  Perhaps that (somewhat flawed) research paper and media attention a couple months ago shook them more than it should have, and the current overreaction is the result.

--> Suggestion: admit the obvious, that it would be nothing short of a miracle if AirBnB hosts were any less (or more) racist than the general population.  (Is anyone complaining to Mark Zuckerberg that there are a few racists using his service?)   However, do 'reasonable' things to reward hosts that show to be welcoming to people of every creed.  (Collect guest demographic data, then rank these hosts higher in the search results)  And just spread the word generally.

What I'm saying is that improving AirBnB for everyone (hosts, guests, the company's profitability, legal issues, moral stance) is a complex discussion, not something to just rant about in public. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

If this move is to outlaw racism, then in my (European) opinion it's only white-washing the problem. By forcing ANY guests on hosts, esp. in their private homes, other problems incl. racism will only fester underground until the whole boil erupts. If I were forced to take any guest, you can bet your bottom euro I would in fact become an even stricter host.
Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

Another thought:  I don't think I've ever actually refused a guest for any reason other than things that were clearly not matching with my listing to begin with.  

The ONLY reasons I've ever hit 'decline' were: 

* Guest put in an inquiry for different dates than the ones he's asking about.  (When they don't fully understand availability apparently. So then I have to tell them the 'actual' dates are unavailable and decline.  As an aside, this happens really a lot, yet it's not a reason you can select when declining a booking.  I think it shoudl be included, not just 'other'.

* Guest asks if it's okay to visit with 7 adults and three kids even though my listing says I have spacce for 5 people.

And then there are other cases where during the inquiry discussion it emerges that my listing isn't a good fit, for any reason.  It's really good to have the opportunity to dicuss this prior to booking..

So I guess I would be more comfortable with Instant-Book if there was a really easy way to cancel it when it emerges that the listing just isn't a good fit, due to too many people or any other requirements.  Currenlty there is NO penalty for declining, but a severe penalty for a host to cancel a confirmed booking.  

If Instant-Book becomes the new normal then the above needs looking at.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thank you so much for everyone who has responded to my intiial thread. I am glad to see that my concerns about instant book are shared with my fellow hosts.

@Jiw0 I'm afraid I don't agree with your comment  "I don't think this needs raising in public especially if in a confrontational way.  It's fine being confrontational, but then in relatively private channels for hosts such as this one".

Having headed up communications and campaigns teams for national and international bodies for the last twenty years, my opinion is that putting public pressure on an organisation, along with pressure through these host forums, is absolutely the right way to go on an issue like this, if we want BnB to reconsider its position.

I contacted BnB through private message on twitter and FB before going public asking a very simple question 'Why are you making IB mandatory for new hosts? ' and explaining my concerns around safety and other issues for hosts and the reputational impact for BnB.

They refused to reply but simply continued to tell me they would pass my message on. If there is a robust business reason for doing this, why don't they let us know?

@Jude and others thank you for articulating concerns around this issue.

As established hosts we are part of a wider community and I think we should be supporting our new hosts by raising awareness of this issue and lobbying for BnB to listen to its host community and remove IB.

Once again thank you all.

Dee9
Level 10
Moriches, NY

All who are reading and who have posted. After I complained, I received a call from an Airbnb rep today. He informed me the "experiment" is not going well so far many complaints. He assured me he was documenting my complaint (even asked me to talk slower so he could type what I was saying). He said currently, due to the complaints, they are not penalizing hosts for cancelling. Anyway you need to MAKE YOUR VOICE HEARD. Not just in this forum, there is nop guarantee they are reading this forum. Email them, call them directly. I've even seen them respond to complaints made via FB and Twitter. They want to know WHY you are against it. HOWEVER they are also aware this "storm may pass" and people will get over it and get used to it. So DONT BE SHY! Its an election year get out there and cast your vote lol! 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Diane0Good to know this, thanks for sharing!
Jenny85
Level 4
Reading, United Kingdom

Hello @Dee9

Interesting that the rep you spoke to said that hosts (presumably those who have had instant book imposed on them?) are not being penalised for cancelling. That was certainly one of the things a rep told me they could do for me i.e. make some kind of note on my listing that I had not chosen instant book and that I would not be penalised for declining any bookings. I stood firm though; I told the rep I appreciated that she was trying to be helpful but that, to me, just having the 'lightning bolt' on my listing sends out completely the wrong message. And, to be honest, I only had her word for it that I would not be penalised. My property will remain unlisted until or unless I can remove instant book!

I posted on their FB page last week - and got the reply that they were 'very sorry I felt this way and would like to help'. The suggestion was that I should telephone or email the help centre - which I have done numerous times and know that they are unable to help! I will continue to do so from time to time but, in spite of all the complaints, at present those who make the policies aren't listening. 

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

I agree with you completely, @Helen0. Having been involved with large organizations before, I am so clearly aware that the success of any organization has to do with every player - from CEO to worker bee, considering themselves a valued and valuable part of a team. I also know, from experience, that communication is the key to empowerment and success.

I have admired your style of communication, @Helen0, because I have found it to be articulate and supportive, not derogatory and confrontational. I also have tried to communicate in these forums in the same way, because I feel that it's through communication that change will occur. And who knows better than us - the ones who are in the field.

I have been loving the Airbnb model, and the richness it has added to my life, in addition to the financial rewards. But the one aspect that has been the most disappointing, the most disturbing, and actually the most alarming, has been the seeming lack of communication, and interest, between admins and us worker bees in the field, a lack which you mention as well, @Helen0.

I started reading these forums because I was so excited to be part of the Airbnb experience as a host. I was stunned to discover the pervasive frustration, anger, confusion, resentment, and powerlessness that is communicated through posts over and over again. I can't recall ever being part of an organization that had such pervasive negativity as part of its underlying core. And the part that is so disturbing to me, is that what seems like a lack of interest in responsiveness from admins, is the exact opposite of what we, as hosts, do our best to uphold.

It's such an easy fix! Communication is one of the easiest and least expensive fixes to deploy. Because I also know that the cost of negativity is beyond what can be measured in monetary terms.

Organizations succeed based on the feeling tone of those whom an organization serves. Excitement and satisfaction builds more success - because customers and clients are the best asset any business has. But in the same regard, negativity snowballs into an avalanche of destruction, and I would hate to see the decline of the Airbnb model based on something so easy to fix.

I realize this is a bit off the thread of making instant booking mandatory for all hosts, but I believe @Helen0 uncovered a more pervasive problem through her comments, one highlighting communication issues between Airbnb admins and those Airbnb serves. I think if you look at almost any of the suggestions that have been made, they all have at their core a lack of responsiveness on the part of Airbnb.

I, too, like Helen have had my comments forwarded to non-identified others with never a response. To me, that response translates as thank you for contacting us, there's nothing we can do. And that flies in such contrast to my outstanding experience offering hospitality to guests, which causes me to feel less than confident about the organization that brings guests to my door.

If someone were to create a similar concept, but one based on good communication models, I would flock to that organization, as I believe would many other hosts. I don't feel respected by Airbnb, which makes it difficult for me to respect Airbnb in return.

However, I'm not looking to jump ship, as Airbnb has an infrastructure that already works in many regards. I would much rather see channels of communication being opened, in a transparent and encouraging manner, rather than exploring alternatives to what has worked for me in other regards. I'm all about communication that uplifts, not complaining meant to take down. Were a model of open dialog created, I'd be one of the first to support its growth, in a positive, collegial, and co-creative way. Because if Airbnb succeeds, so do I.

And so I ask (again) - is anybody listening, and does anyone care?

Jude

Jenny85
Level 4
Reading, United Kingdom

And I completely agree, @Helen3, that the surest way of bringing about a change in this policy is to put public pressure on the company! 

Regina38
Level 10
Wilmington, DE

I would drop out if I had to have instant book.

Jiw0
Level 10
Chiang Mai, Thailand

I just added a listing and it looks like this is still continuously reworked.  Right now Instant Book is turned on by default, but you have a checkbox to only allow guests with past stays with positive reviews from other hosts.

And then there is a somewhat more hidden link to completey turn it off, which then tries to scare you into not doing it.  (I.e. talking baout being ranked lower in the results and other things.)   

There is also additional verbiage about guests who instant book having to specifically confirm the number of people and the house rules.

Wouldn't surprise me if it'll remain something like that also for new hosts.

Karen1
Level 10
St Johns, FL

As a host who wants to maintain superhost status, Instant Booking would do me in. Location: so important that realtors always mention it in threes. Location is the one aspect of my listing that I cannot change or improve. It is the one category that I got marked down on in "stars" when I first started. So now I make it absolutely clear to my guests before they book where we are located. I don't want disappointed guests. I also mention our location in my listing, but not everyone reads before they book. That is my number one reason that IB won't work for me. 

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Thank you @Jude0 and others thanks for your kind words of support ane information about your experiences.

On a wider issues, I agree with @Jude0 and am constantly suprised at just how poor BnB is at communicating with hosts and other stakeholders, who are so crucial to its business success.

It's website structure is counter intuitive and trying to contact it, is like wading through treacle.

@Han&Jiw thanks for the update on how the system is working for new hosts.

I'm going to paste a link to this thread on their FB to increase awarenss of this issue.

Jenny85
Level 4
Reading, United Kingdom

Hi @Helen3

Thank you for continuing to keep this discussion going and, hopefully, channels of communication with Airbnb.

Just one point: I don't think @Jiw0 are new hosts; they have just added a new listing.

As a new host I can confirm that it is my profile that is affected by mandatory instant book which will be on any listing I create. There is no link - hidden or otherwise - that I can use to switch it off.

This has been confirmed by a helpful Airbnb rep to whom I gave permisssion to make my listing live for a few minutes to see if she could turn it off. She couldn't. She then suggested trying to make a new listing of the same property in the hope that mandatory instant book would not apply to it. It did. Another rep I spoke to said it was the profille not the listing.

Best wishes

Jenny