Early arrival/late check-out & leaving luggage early/late

Ryan27
Level 5
Washington, DC

Early arrival/late check-out & leaving luggage early/late

Hello Fellow Airbnb Hosts,

I've been hosting for a bit over a year and a half and have a frequent issue at my listing that is a full-home, 3 bedrooms, which attracts families and groups of friends.  The majority ask for early check-in and leaving luggage even earlier and late check-out and leaving luggage even later!  I'd say it's a bit of a logistical nightmare since I have same-day turnover with no more than 5 hours and much less with this issue to flip an entire house, let alone anything going wrong, and it's frustrating for the maid too to have little time to do so much and with lots of luggage/people around when dropping off/picking up.  I know my check-out of 10am is early so I'm thinking of going to 11am but wondering if guests will then just ask to stay even longer and check-in is 3pm so I'm thinking of making it 4pm.  Or leave it as it is, let them ask, and they feel they got an hour?  But then they still want to leave luggage earlier and later.  Even though I've added language about being firm on this due to logistics and offering where they can pay for luggage storage, it's being asked just as much and I have a hard time saying no because I fear losing the booking.  Do I just have to say NO to everyone or if not, deal with this constant difficult issue?  I'm wondering what others do about this.  Thanks so much!

Elizabeth 

17 Replies 17
Danielle259
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

Phew, I am so relieved to see that others are facing the same problems and also are just saying no. For those thinking about allowing it, logistical nightmares are the BEST of the worst that can happen. My airbnb unit unfortunately does not cover the mortgage, so I have a full time job (noted in listing) and often not available during checkin hours. I have had people destroy the apartment and blame it on previous guests with no way for me or the previous guests to prove they didn’t, leaving me responsible. I’ve had people decide luggage drop off meant early check in and refuse to leave. I’ve had people harass my cleaning ladies to a level at which they quit. And worst of all, Airbnb does absolutely nothing in any of these cases. They do not want to lose the customers, so they side with the guests.

I am currently trying to get answers out of Airbnb for how they suggest proceeding with a guest who has entered the home prematurely so that I can get it in writing and press the issue (I’ve since taken steps to prevent this such as not giving out the key pad code until exact check in time). They keep dancing around it. It’s trespassing. I’ve had it range from casually taking advantage to pure malicious behavior. Aside from reporting issues to Airbnb, who will suggest mitigation first and canceling with a 100% refund next where they will be relocated to become another host’s problem, there’s really nothing one can do. It seems that if listing rules are violated, Airbnb would be in favor of the host and if actual laws are broken, they would take it more seriously. The fact that it’s brushed off as better luck next time, is completely dissatisfying and discouraging me from continuing to host.  It also brings up the bigger issue of - for me, this was just about early check in, but what about every other bad/illegal/violating situation? It sounds a lot like I could catch a guest setting the place on fire and would have to refund them if I want to prevent them from coming back into my home. And yes, I have called the police with some of these issues and yes, I have brought that up to Airbnb in my questioning. If a person is arrested for something they’ve done on my property or trespassing, I still have to cancel the reservation if I am refusing to allow them re-entry, resulting in a full refund for remaining nights and relocation of the guest with no heads up to the new host as to what has occurred. And this is essentially what I’m trying to get them to outright say with no luck so far.

Rayisha0
Level 2
Clinton, MD

In DC there is a luggage storage company that pick up, store, and deliver luggage anywhere in DC.  Its a win-win for the host and the guest.  Its called Bag Taxi. They are pretty great and it is Veteran Owned... Gotta support the Vets!

Check them out: 

www.bagtaxis.com

Renée16
Level 2
Charlottetown, Canada

We used to have 10AM checkouts, constant requests and comments on it... and I realized that when I travel I also find 10AM difficult. Between wakin, packing, breakfast and a few work items, 10AM can be a tight deadline. 11Am is much more comfortable so we changed it to 11AM and very few peeps about it since. We were getting a ton of early checkin requests recently so I added a $25 early checkin fee and late checkout fee to allow for my gas and time bringing in the laundry, people have stopped asking as much, saved a template message explainign that yes we can do the early checkin, fee is suchandsuch and the time you can arrive is then 1PM instead of 4PM, they pay, we schedule it... all done.