Electronic Door Locks

Elise28
Level 2
Draper, UT

Electronic Door Locks

I don't live near my rental unit and would love to put an electronic lock on the door; one that I can change the codes from my devices.  Has anyone had any experience with these?

58 Replies 58

Thanks Elise.

Elise: Did you end up getting the LockState lock then or someting else? I need to replace a lock in Scotland because they lost the keys and called and left a message with Lockstate and no reply yet. It does not seem that most hosts are happy with their products. To purchase in Scotland will make the LockSTate device almost $500!

I did go with Lock State.   And the model I bought (LS 6i) cost me $500.  It hurt to pay so much, but it was the only one I found that really met MY needs.  I'm very glad I have it!! 

Of course, I keep a lock box outside (with a key to the back door) on the patio JUST IN CASE there is a problem.  Had to use that once - but I change the lock box code every 6 months - so I don't worry about it.   

k

Hi Elise, please, can you let me know what model did you use? Seems like the ideal for our home.

Thank you

Lock State LS-6i

There may be cheaper options, but I'm not very tech savvy and this works perfectly for my purposes.

Nevermind. I see now by reading further on that you use Lock Safe.

What modle is it?

Lock State LS-6i

Quick update on our Schlage Sense locks.  We have added them to additional personal homes as well as an elderly parent’s home.  We have iPhones that interacted with the lock via blue tooth or Apple TV through wi-fi but Android was an issue for one family member.  Recently we found the Schlage Sense Wi-Fi adapter for iOS and Android at Lowe’s.  We installed and it works great for us, maybe even better than the Apple TV did.  Also I have been asked about battery life.  The batteries have been great and have lasted nearly 2 years so far without replacement and with moderate use.  Hopefully this info is helpful for other hosts.

Hi Karen & Will,

Thank you for your repeated posts! How long have you had the Schlage Sense? It looks like you've had it for a good long while. Some amazon reviews talk about this unit working really well initially and then breaking down after 6 months. We installed a schlage keypad that isn't wifi-enabled and the buttons keep getting stuck. In addition, the manual key operation is so complicated that the entire situation gets very frustrating for us and for guests. For a new unit, I don't care so much about the wifi capability, as the keypad functioning well, and the manual key working more simply. Your input would be much appreciated. 🙂

I have the exact same setup but I'm not able to manage the codes from a distance, only from Bluetooth range.  How do you manage that part?

ReRe0
Level 2
Chicago, IL

I use VirtualKEY ([link removed]) This software supports multiple different smart locks, keypad locks and WiFi locks like Remotelock, Dana Lock, Lockitron, Schlage, Okidokeys etc. It is also integrated with Airbnb, HomeAway, VRBO etc. The reservations are synced automatically and lock is programmed for the guest and house-keeper automatically. You don't have to manually generate codes or digital keys using the lock app. It saves you time and keeps things stress-free. I don't like to be worried about remembering to create codes and send emails to guests.

I also like one more feature that VirtualKEY Software provides. You can automate emails you want to send to guests like arrival instructions, request a review, guide book etc. I don't like to be worried about remembering to create codes and send emails to guests. I started offering instant booking after switching to VirtualKEY.

Could you share how much this service costs?

Krzysztof5
Level 1
Gdańsk, Poland

We were looking for a remote solution as well and in the end, we came up with our own! 🙂

I would like to bring your attention to RentingLock, an electronic lock for property owners which doesn't require WiFi or electricity. Forget about key handovers and late night check-ins, it enables you to give access to your apartment remotely from an online control panel.

It's possible to generate multiple codes for different time periods simultaneously and then send it to your guests. What's more, RL can code & read NFC cards so your customers don't need to remember the digit numbers. 

One time investment, no additional fees.

Look it up, maybe it's something that will suit you.

Have a nice day!

Chris