Excellent Forbes article about the weakness of the Airbnb star system

Jude7
Level 10
Rhinebeck, NY

Excellent Forbes article about the weakness of the Airbnb star system

@Andrea9 - A big Thank You to Andrea for sending me a link to a recent Forbes article that captured  my frustrations in another post about the confusions of the star system.  I know........  this is a topic that is repeatedly discussed.  But perhaps the reason it keeps getting discusssed is because of the frustrations caused by the flaws in the system.  The Forbes article says EXACTLY what I was trying to say!  How timely!  And in Forbes, no less.  Just last week.  If it has reached the pages of Forbes, it must be a real issue. How can Airbnb be oblivious to the confusion the star system is causing?

Here's the link to the article:

http://www.forbes.com/sites/sethporges/2016/06/29/the-one-issue-with-airbnb-reviews-that-causes-host...

The point of the article (for those of you who hate to click links!) is that hosts see the star system as a measure of meeting guest expectations.  Some guests, on the other hand, see the stars as a way of rating the luxuriousness of their accommodations.  In other words, a modest place that is fairly priced, with over-the-top attentiveness and excellent  host support might still never rate more than 2 stars from some guests' points of view - because on their scale - it's not, and can never be, a 5-star luxury hotel.

Until there's some consistency in what the stars mean, this system will never be fair.  Until I started reading some of the posts on this forum, it never occurred to me that a star rating was anything other than a reflection on how well expectations were met.  But as I've been reading, and now supported by the Forbes article, I can see that some guests think it's a system meant to rate the category of the accommodations, not expectations.

I'm still holding my breath before reading a review - even if I know the experience was a lovely one.  I'm finding hosting to be a wonderful experience that has far exceeded my expectations as to what it would be like.  I'm discovering that I'm really good at providing hospitality, and that I like it!  But I'm also discovering, as the author of the Forbes article pointed out, that this poorly defined star system is creating a stress that I didn't expect to find.  And what frustrates me the most, is that it is a situation that can be easily rectified, simply by defining what the stars actually mean.

I'm thinking that I might educate my guests as to what the stars mean from a host's point of view - in other words, a reflection of expectations.  My place is an upscale camper that is sure to exceed expectations.  But if a guest believes the rating system is similiar to that which rates luxury hotels - I'll never be rated more than a 2 - in spite of my over-the-top attempts at providing for my guest's needs. Because I am a camper in the woods, after all.

Maybe it's time to revamp the system?  So again I ask - does anyone from Airbnb admin read these forums?

Jude

43 Replies 43

Thanks @Michelle140!  I had noticed those stats, but since they weren't identified by guest, I wasn't clear who had left me what response.  I now realize that if I check my stats after each guest leaves, I'll have a way of knowing who left me what.

I'm starting to also learn how frustrating it is to do everything I can do make sure a guest's stay is a good one (fresh flowers, a bottle of wine, upgraded linens and bedding, firepit with freshly cut firewood ready to go!) and still have a guest feel it's less than a 5 star experience.

Sure wish there was a rating system in place that described the meaning of each star, so that there would be a chance of some consistency.

Jude

Raffaele-and-Astrid0
Level 10
Coogee, Australia

Hello everyone!

I love all this discussion and I read the Article of Forbes, I not really agree, but anyway...  I would liked always share my opinion about the rating, so here we go:

I think you all overreact a little bit...
in every kind of work, there's stress and anxiety, so why don't should be also here? especially in hospitality job.

I work in a 5 star hotel, and trust me, here the guests are very, very, very worst!
in tripadv. we have complaint for everything, even if we deliver a great service and every single thing is shiny e clean.
why they complaint? because maybe a receptionist didn't smile enough when they checked -in. so in revenge they give us 3 star for cleanliness.
this is normal? no, but it is what it is... so deal with that and do better with the next one.

everywhere there's a rating stars from 1 to 5, even the kebab shop has his rating, so what?

If you can't get a 5 star each time, maybe is because you don't see the things with the guest eyes.
the guest didn't tell you about something? why YOU didn't ask if everything was ok, here and there?
why YOU didn't anticipate the guest needs?

what you think, that the managment hospitality school of $20K a year is there for nothing?
I think most of the Host in Airbnb should do a step back in how they see themselves as a host.

another thing, the guest give a 5 star not for what they get, but for "what you are." and "how you let them feel" ... and really doesn't matter the price!

we get 5 star 90% of the time, from the beginning, 1 year, 4 time in a row superhost, and doesn't matter if they pay $50 a night or $200 a night.
our top price was $300 in high season 2 person, 2 nights for a private room of 10sqm, sleep in a bunkbed. = $600 - they give us 5 star. why?

what we have for a 5 star? some candy, some milk and coffe in the morning and a bottle of water? 😄 a nice view? maybe.. this worth $600?? in a bunkbed?

c'mon is not for that!!! but is for us, it's for what we give to them a "human level."
maybe i'm wrong but this is what I believe! and it works! 🙂

we get a 3 star one time, and we know why:
in this occasion we were distracted from other things, we had also a birthday party at home, few people in the lounge room, the guest wasn't really happy about it,
The guest even told us that everything was fine till the end, till the check out! but later on, in the private review, she destroyed us, 3 stars in everything! 😞

we took it, and we learned the lesson! focus on the guest, not matter what, this is the job! no excuse!

Really doesn't matter what you have, a camper or a luxury house, in the end you get the guest that you deserve according with your listing.
if someone booking for a camper, they know that they don't gonna sleep in a 5 star Hilton, and if they don't want to sleep in a camper, simple they don't gonna book a camper!

So in conclusion, don't blame the rating system if you can't get what you think you deserve, maybe your expectation are too high for what you are really capable of.

and when you get less than 5 star, just ask them nicely: "why? please help me to do better next time."
we do that everytime and we know where to fix the problem. 🙂

peace everyone, this is just my personal point of view, and I hope that this going to help you to see differently your goal.
Cheers Raf

It doesn't sound like you actually read the article. The point is that some guests seem to rate your listing accoridng to how fancy it is (ie - they think the stars are for fanciness levels, when they should actually be rated for how good your place is in relation to how it is advertised). My place should not be rated as a poor location because it is in the middle of nowhere, as that is how it is advertised (I specifically state that I am 30 minutes to the perimeter of two cities). You are right, some people complain about stupid things, but that doesn't mean we should like it. And yes, it is frustrating when someone rates you poorly and never explains why. The guests say constantly during and after their stay that everything was great (yes, most of us ask during the stay to make sure everything is good and if they need anything), and then you receive a poor rating, which leaves you confused. You inquire with the guest to try to understand the reasoning so you can fix the problem, and they never answer you. Yes, it is frustrating. Why did my last review rate the accuracy only a four? I have no clue. He won't answer me. I want to fix what caused his displeasure for all future guests, and I cannot. Your mentioning of hospitality school is a moot point. This is airbnb, NOT a hotel, and we should be rated accordingly. If people want hotel level service, go to a hotel. Even if they want full on "bed and breakfast" level service, they should go to an official B&B or tread very carefully on airbnb. Most of us just offer a room and maybe a light breakfast or coffee. This is very clear on our listings, and yes, it is frustrating to be rated in comparison to full service locations. The point of the article is that we should be rated in relation to what we are advertising, and that is not made clear on airbnb for guests before rating a host. And yeah, I think it's stupid for someone to book a room out in the middle of nowhere, with clear indication that there is not unlimited internet, and then review the place saying the internet sucked and rating the location low, saying that it is 30 minutes from the city.

Hi @Michelle0
(sorry my answer is long more than what I expected, take your time for read)

just for be clear, I'm sure that everyone do and did the best that they could do, and I'm sure that everyone is passionate and sensitive about their service, and I'm sure that you did everything that I explained as an example in my previuos post.
I know on my skin that the people when are guest, sometimes are wierd too, and sometime people are just unhappy by nature.

having said that, what I meant simply was, don't make the mistake to think that everyone miss understood the rating system, if the guest complain for the location even if he knows exactly where it was the house before booking, that maybe mean that something went wrong during his stay at human level.

Maybe they don't know how to explain that, or maybe they don't want have a discussion with the Host about it, so what they do? poor rating, that poor is not, because 4 means GOOD! please understand this, 4 means GOOD!
Or simply, after their stay, they realize that the location not was what they imagine in first place, or simply for them is just a "good" location but not a "great" location. what's the problem with that?

I'm sure you did everything for make them at home, but maybe was not enough for a 5.
people rate in base at how they felt, not in base on what they saw. remember that.

we recieved 2 times 4 stars on location, do you see where I live right? now think how we felt when we saw the rating. just without word, but we understood that somenting went wrong, and who rated 4 in location, give us also 4 in Overall and 4 in value even if they payed a really cheap price too.... so what that means? means that everything was good, but not "great", why? maybe beacuse we didn't do that little something extra, that little extra attention to them, or whatever, maybe is just what they though at the moment of the review.
this is the fault of Airbnb? I don't think so.

I asked to them: why you rate overall 4, do you think that we can do better? if yes where? he answer: I don't know, I really appreciated everything, I just though that 4 was good, normally I don't give 5 in anything, I did wrong? oh sorry,  can I still change my rating?
...funny eh? 🙂

So Airbnb could explain better the value of the stars to the guest? yes! I agree this can help our work! 🙂 ..maybe.
this thing, going to change really something in relations in how pepole rating? no I don't think so. because: people rate in base at how they felt, not in base on what they saw. remember that.

We can do something before this thing going to happen? yes we can!!! just talk with your guest and explain to them why the 5 is so important for you, if you can't talk, write them a message after the check out, and make them really comfortable all the time!

You know, after I read all complaint about the system rating, seems like that the superhost are superhost just by luck. no is not just luck! unfortunately not everyone knows what they doing, and said that you are not at hotel or a professional BnB, sorry but I thing is wrong, you get payed and the guests are not your friends visiting you. so act according to this.

if you think that you give just a room, and the guests shouldn't expect anything more than just a room, because you are not a hotel, maybe you have to reconsider your listing on airbnb, and read more about hosting.

ok now I stop, it is 2 am, and i'm tired, thank you for your time, and for reply to my previus post, in any way we gonna put this I really think that we make the difference and not our room, I have prove of that everywhere in the world, just look the airbnb search result and look around, fancy house with 3 star rating, **bleep**ty hole with superhost badge! it's you the 5, not the room or the scramble eggs for breakfast. 😉

A big hug, and good luck! I will read you tomorrow 😉
cheers raf

Just one thing that comes to mind, the term Bed and Breakfast. The meaning I know varies by country.

In the US it is usually used in a relatively upmarket sense, it would be something over an above a regular Hotel.

In the UK it is a lower level of accomodation often than a Hotel.

I used to have reviews enabled on Facebook, took them off as I started getting some really weird comments from people I knew had not stayed her, they just liked trolling people I guess.

David

@Michelle140

I looked to your listing, and you have all good review and rating, what's the problem?
your last guest Leon, just let noticed to the next guest that internet could be slow sometimes, is not a complaint but a fact, why you are annoyed by that?

if you can't give a good internet service, write on your listing that is slow, like: Internet is not unlimited for streaming or big downloads, because is not really fast, but you can check your email without problem.

or just take off from your extra service.

On fact, Leon just said what you didn't write, is a honest review. if I'm a guest I'm glad that he wrote this, because maybe my business requierd fast internet, but in the same time I would like to take a short holiday in the middle of nowhere, and if your internet is not fast enough for my needs, actually this is a great advice. but also for you, because avoid that I write a bad review about it, if I come in your place, because you didn't specified.

consider that can give you a 3 star accuracy.

if you are not clear, not be surprise about low rating. 🙂

cheers Raf

Yes. I removed the internet from the amenities a while back, but it has always just mentioned checking email with it and not unlimited for regular use (and I NEVER had wifi listed as an amenity, only internet, so people shouldn't even be asking for my wifi password). My internet is not typically slow. I work remotely for work at home all the time and rarely have an issue. Plus the fact that he never actually used my internet, ha. He was just using the cell reception. I never ended up giving him my internet password because he was finished doing what he was doing before I even had the chance to give him the password. Irregardless, your looking to book my room to conduct business and requiring steady internet would be yet another irresponsible booking without discussing with me first, since I make it clear that the internet is available in only a limited fashion for checking email.

But yes, very lucky he still gave me the full five stars for overall rating. I almost denied his inquiry because of his history of reviews at other places (which I've read other hosts can do sometimes to protect their reputation). He is very nitpicky. He docked me a star on location and noted in his review that I'm 30 minutes from the city (something which I state clearly in the listing). He also only gave me a three for cleanliness, but never told me what the problem was, so I have no idea what to fix. And a four on accuracy, but won't answer me to tell me what is inaccurate in my listing. And a four on value as well, which is just frustrating as a host (as it is for any host I would think) to think that people want to throw pennies at you for all the time you put into the space and airbnb.

It is my opinion that he actually only complained about things that should be already clear in my listing. I am 30 minutes from cities and the internet is not for 24/7 use. Nowhere do I indicate that the internet is available for someone looking for 24/7 use. I'm sorry that you (and he) disagree. Everyone else who has come, has come knowing that internet had limited availability, so I don't know where the disconnect was with him specifically, because he won't respond to me explaining what the problem was or for me to defend myself. Maybe you can help. Why would you read my listing and think it would be ok for a business trip requiring fast internet without inquiring with me first about that intended use? I fixed it up a little bit, but I still would not have booked my listing without asking me about the internet, given I noted its restricted use.

Airbnb is different from a hotel. I think it would be frustrating for anyone to have someone say over and over that everything is great and they don't need anything else or that they have any problems, and then have them return to complain about something and/or rate you poor in an area that you could have fixed if they had let you know.

Hi @Michelle140

I totally understand your frustation and you point of view, we have had the same experience in the beginning, and actually I put on (what before was the "group" of Airbnb, now is the community) the same thought about teaching to the guests what the stars means, but after I realized than that is not the solution to the problem, but is how we constantly communicate with our guest.
the article in Forbes make not sense at all.

1. about internet and please notice that this is just a conversation for talking:

ok, so everything is so confusing. you don't have as an extra service, but is wrote that they could check the email, and you last guest mention about internet slow,...now see what's happen? confusion, I'm confused. 

2. you talking about irresponsabile booking, oh you are so naive 🙂 .. we recieved 4 times Overall and Accuracy 4 stars, you know why? because the guests didn't check the pictures or read the listing, so they didn't know that we have a BUNKBED. they just stopped to the first picture with the view, and booked! so when they arrived, for them it was a surprise that we had a bunkbed!!! O_O

I had to write a note on top descriptions for be sure that the pepole be aware to the fact that we have a bunkbed, and I had to reorganize the sequence of the pictures for be sure that they at least see one pic about the bed, and everytime we get a request, I underline the fact that we have a bunkbed, and after that we have had lots of requests not completed, because of the bunkbed, so what that means? means that the pepole don't read! 🙂
but now think if I didn't said that to them durinrg the request, now I wasn't a superhost.
Actually that was god for both parties, because we didn't recieve another low rating, and they found somenthig else better for them.

antoher example: so many time at the check in guest asked me, "do you have internet?"  when it is very specified on top listing that yes we wifi!... pepole don't read, keep in mind that most of the pepole don't read.

look last example for let you to understand that people should be keep by hand all the time, as a child:

yesterday night, just before my first posting, at the hotel we have had a guest that walk in with a "dog", tha manager said to her that the dog are not allowed inside the hotel, and she said that she read about on the website that we allow pet (no), even when is not mentioned anywhere that, so she completed the booking online with this thought.

what you think is going to happen to the hotel rating? a 5? no I don't think so.. 🙂 I think she gonna write a long complaint about how the hotel let her on the street because we are insensitive B@ST###D!!! ...when the truth is that we have a "no pet policy" that is really well clear on the website.

I hope that you understand what I means, there's nothing against you or other, and Airbnb can't do nothing about, it's only you can improve this situation, by following your guest as a child.

have a nice day.
cheers Raf

@Raffaele-and-Astrid0

When I started this comment I was reacting to some of your earlier comments. But now looks like you aren't so happy with the rating system either.

Not sure if you feel the same tension with the periodical checking of SH status to see if the host's ratings have made the teacher's pet level?

If you live in a popular tourist attractive area with hundreds of other hosts, that super host status is what gets your listing further up in searches, esp. if your accommodation is not right on the beaten path.

That creates a certain amount of tension other hosts in city centers with less than 5 stars usually don't have to that extent.

@Andrea9 - 

Although I agree with some of the points made by @Raffaele-and-Astrid0, namely that guests sometimes let us know about ways we can improve what we offer, how we can communicate expectations more clearly, and that the relationships we establish with guests (good or bad) are often reflected in the ratings more than the actual areas being judged.

But I agree, with you, Andrea, about the enormous pressure being placed upon us as hosts to live up to a very high bar - one brought home because I, too, have received that ominous exclamation point and warning that I need to improve, because my last two guests gave me less than 5 stars.  

As you stated, Andrea, that has resulted in my listing having been moved further down in the search results in my area, and I have noticed a definite drop in response, even though this is high season and I'm in a popular area.  Airbnb is the only rating system I know of where a 4 or even a 3 is considered unacceptable.  

I strive, with passion, to give my guests a 5 star experience, because I understand 5 to mean exceptional, and that is actually my standard as well.  But should a guest feel like it was a very good experience (my definition of a 4), or even a good experience (my definition of a 3), how does that translate into a sub-par experience, one penalized by Airbnb?

I am loving the Airbnb experience as a host, and have had the most amazing interactions with guests who left feeling like friends.  But the angst I am feeling as I hold my breath waiting for each review to come in, is creating a pressure I didn't expect to find, one that is creating a big negative over my experience, and one I would like the Airbnb management to be aware of.  Because just like @Raffaele-and-Astrid0 mentioned in the context of guests, this forum is providing feedback to the Airbnb admins, just like guests are providing to us. I have changed some of my practices because of feedback I received that was less than perfect, which is the point I believe Raf was making.  But I can't help but wonder, is Airbnb just as responsive to us, and what numbers of stars would they be given if we were to rate our satisfaction with how things are run?

With the Airbnb Open coming up, I would hope that the review system would be an important topic of discussion between hosts and admins.  I saw lots of scheduled presentations by celebrities whose value to me as an Airbnb host was unclear.  What I would really like to see would be a forum between hosts and admins to dialog ways to make the experience more positive for everyone involved. If I felt my voice would be heard, and valued, I might consider going to LA.

Although I am not happy with the rating system as it now stands, because I think it invites confusion and anxiety on the part of both hosts and guests, I do value communication, (can you tell? 😊 ) , and for this I see the importance of a review system of some sort.  But the absence of an administrator's voice is creating a very loud silence,  one that is adding to the feeling of frustrated powerlessness that many of us feel.

Someone commented on this thread, or perhaps it was another, that we needed to lighten up about reviews. But when reviews translate into dollars, my passion comes from a desire to make this system work, for many different reasons. Because aside from the extra dollars it is sending my way, the relationships I am forming with others is priceless, as it is from relationship that worldwide change occurs.

I'm getting off my soapbox now.....

Jude

Hi @Andrea9 @Jude7

I have not feeling about the rating, the rating is the rating, it is like this everywhere, name a web site and you will find a rating system.

and like every rating system, isn't perfect, and it won't, is pratically impossibile, because you ask to put a rate to a mix of emotions. 

you ask to do math, on how they felt in your house. 
Considering that everyone are different, by culture, how you can make a global system that is good to everyone? simply you can't.

the guest that give us 3 in everything,  was because she wasn't happy about we handled her! we made mistake here and there, and we get a low rating, even if our house it was superclean, or in beautiful location. she didn't care, just 3, that's it.

I don't understand what you miss out on that?

if the guest is happy with you, is a 5, if is not, is a 4, if is not an on top of that you made mistake, is 3 or lower.

this is how you have to see the rating system, in my point of view.

you guys miss the point of this: who care what people think about the rating system? I don't care, I reallly don't care anymore, how my chinese guest intend the rating system, or my newyorker guest, or my last Australian guest, the important is that them give us 5, this is what I care.
How to do that? make them feel special. how? find your method, we can't share our secrets around the world wide web!! ahaha 😄

obviously you need to have a perfect house, superclean, super organize, tha's a how everyone should be starting, and later on, slowly you will understand how to deal with each different guest.

IS YOU that make the difference,  stick that in your mind if you like to be a superhost, and remeber that everyone make mistake here and there.
you can't expect 5 all the time, is just crazy think that, but if you get 5 all the time, good for you, you are very good!

the rating system is just the tools for be judge, the guest can decide to stick to the reality of the fact, or if you are really good at human level, if make a connection with them, they automatically gonna forget about the little mess saw in the bathroom, 🙂 they gonna give 5 to you, and not to your house, is you, is always you. You are the host, so you are the superhost, they value you. and if they don't know that, is always you that have to teach them to think like that. how? find your method.

for example:
why my neighbours are not superhost? in my building, with the same view we are in 4 Airbnb actually! why we are the only one to be a superhost? the rating system is not the same for every one? why in my area of more than 300 house we are only 4 superhost in all area (last time I checked) why?
what the difference? same view, same area, same place, same average prices, same beach...and in my case, same building! check by yourself.

...now you explain me that, without considering the human connection! 
I'll save you time, is impossibile.

Airbnb can't do nothing about that, but only you.

I hope  that I made clear my point.

cheers Raf

Leslie0
Level 6
Santa Monica, CA

One way of improving the rating system is to have guests give  brief explanation of why they give any rating that is less than five star. I would go so far as to say location shouldn't be a category at all. My house is a few blocks walk from one of the most beautiful beaches in Southern California and I'm a super host but I still get most of my four star ratings for location. Go figure.

I love that suggestion, @Leslie0!  Maybe it should be posted on the newly created host suggestions forum?

Another option, as many rating sites provide, would be a bit of a key as to what each number rating means.  With no guidance from Airbnb, it can mean anything to anyone!

I recently had a guest, and the conversation turned around to reviews.  She was shocked to discover that Airbnb sends out a warning to hosts for consistent 4 or less ratings, because she thought a 4 was really good!

A little bit of guidance would go a long way towards some consistency, and less upset.

Jude

Ingrid39
Level 3
Cambridge, MA

I had a young-ish guest in his 20s who gave me 4 stars for cleanliness. I asked him (privately) why he gave me that rating , so I could in turn give feedback to my cleaners. He said it was nothing in particular, just a "place that someone lives in and therefore not as clean as a hotel." I replied that Airbnb is not a hotel and that's the point. He said he was "comfortable" with the rating and that was that.

I completely agree that the stars are meaningless and I wish there was a different system!