Extortion inquiry

Extortion inquiry

I am new to this forum. Want to thank everyone for sharing so much info here. Just wanted to double check and get the view of experts. So guest stays, checks out writes a bad review with no specific reason. We contact him asking if there is a way for him to revise it and he says that he can do it if we will refund him his stay. Obviusly we do not agree. Can this be counted as an extortion policy violation?

6 Replies 6
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@AZ-Housing0 AirBnB will view both of you as being in the wrong - you can ask a guest to change their review, but on what basis? Is is against any AirBnB policy to post a bad review ? It's not. 

As for the guest being accused of extortion  - it would not meet the standard. If they had contacted you and  said give me a refund and I will write/change a review, then you have extortion

It says in the link that hosts are not prohibited to ask guest to leave positive reviews. https://www.airbnb.com/help/article/548/what-is-airbnb-s-extortion-policy And our guest actually had plenty positive experience.

• A host from asking a guest to leave an honest positive review or rating reflecting a positive experience
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@AZ-Housing0  Reviews can't be changed once they are posted.

Yes but the can be taken out by case managers.

Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

What you can do is report to Airbnb that they guest agreed to change their review (the can't) in exchange for a full refund. Do it by phone hitting the report button is unlikely to do much.

It sounds like you have set up your listing without fully understanding how Airbnb works if you think a guest can change their review.

Do read up on how host and guest reviews work on the Airbnb Help Centre and while you are there read up on the other Q and As to help you better understand how the platform works.

By the way if you are offering two bedroom apartments you should  provide two sofas, not one sofa and you rather uncomfortable looking dining room chairs. Would you really like to sit on those of an evening, say to watch a movie or relax with friends?

I did not ask him to change it. I asked him to revise it, meaning to give airbnb permission for it to be taken.