Extra Guests now staying!!

Extra Guests now staying!!

Lately I've had alot of bookings where extra guests end up staying compared to how many were actually booked for OR they want more rooms than paid for. What is your advice on this?

My policy/payment system is below. It's clearly stated in my Guest Access and in my House Rules.

2 guests = 1 room

3 guests = 2 rooms

5 guests = 3 rooms

If guests are needing an extra room for example 2 mates are away for work but they want 2 rooms, they are charged per night for the extra room. 

I have guests not wanting to pay for this extra room even though it clearly states this. When a guests books I kindly let them know/remind them that if they'd like an extra room or extra guests end up coming that there'll be extra charges and I'll need to unlock the rooms. With this some guests obviously release the other rooms are indeed locked (because they haven't paid for them) and then either want to cancel because they're not happy to pay the extra amount. 

I sometimes offer a discount if they're staying a few nights or have a few people staying. I don't like doing this as I'm losing money but I'm worried that they'll do a bad review so feel I have to give a discount even though I know they're trying to rip me off. I don't have this issue with any other booking sites only Airbnb. I've had guests say to me that they'll give me a bad review if I don't let them cancel or give them a discount. 

Being a Superhost this is a massive concern of mine. What is your advice and have you had a similar issue. Thanks

17 Replies 17

I installed Unifi cameras in front of the entrance of the unit. So in case people lie to me about how many staying, I can kick them out and cancel their reservation even if they are there. in my listing I "SPECIFICALLY" stated that if these rules are broken, i will kick them out without refund. I put it as a house rule and other parts of Airbnb section and put another physical note inside the unit. I also said theres cameras by the entrance. So yeah. 😄 

Good luckl

Louise0
Level 10
New South Wales, Australia

It's such an easy fix.  Just put locks on the bedroom doors and if they book for two, lock all but one room.  If for three, lock one room.   Not sure what you do for four guests.  I agree, it's confusing and not surprised at Airbnb's response.

The other option is what I do.  Offer three separate listings.  One has one bedroom, the other has two, the other three.  Simple.  Very, very simple.   The guest books  the version they want.   And of course, you also lock the rooms not included.

Kristy43
Level 5
West Moonah, Australia

We've had issues with people bringing in extra guests..... the solution that has really worked is installing wireless  security cameras at the front and rear entrance (We don't live on site).  These are clearly disclosed in our listing and in our house rules.  I send the house rules through prior to check-in and this seems to prompt people to 'fuss up' before getting caught on camera!  Also handy to monitor when guests have checked out so you can get in to clean earlier!!!