Extra Visitors - Guests of our Guests!

Answered!
Joshua289
Level 2
Denver, CO

Extra Visitors - Guests of our Guests!

Hello, 

I've listed my home a few months ago and it has really been a rocky road for me. I'm currently dealing with Airbnb regarding a couple of incidents that damaged my home.

Additionally, my question for this forum is this: 

Several of the guests have booked my home and indicated a certain number of people on the reservation. However, my home is rather large and can accommodate up to 10 people. I've noticed on our surveillance systems that monitor the communal areas (as our home is in a multi-family dwelling) there always seems to be more than the registered number of guests that either stay the night in my listing or that use the space during the day. 

I would not normally have any issues with my guests having a few visitors after 8:00AM and before 10:00PM, but I've been told by my cleaners that more resources are being used by each booking than initially anticipated. That means that more towels are being used, extra bedrooms are being occupied, extra blankets, sheets, more toilet paper, paper towels, dishes, etc. So, the amount that I've been charging for cleaning the unit after each booking doesn't cover the actual costs. Cleaning after a group of 8 (even if only 4 spend the night, but an additional 3 use the showers and kitchen and bathrooms, etc) is far more work than cleaning after the group of 4 listed on the initial reservation. I don't have surveillance systems in place within the unit itself, as I don't feel comfortable monitoring private areas. So, when I've asked a guest directly if more people have been utilizing the home than the number of people listed on the reservation, I always get a ‘no.’

Basically, no one has been following my house rules in their entirety.

When I actually try to address the issue with the guests, they get annoyed and I risk bad reviews out of spite, too. So, I get stuck with really high cleaning fees and bad reviews. I'm not sure what to do at this point and I'm thinking of just renting out my home on a long-term basis with a rental contract- as fully furnished.  

1 Best Answer
Huma0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Joshua289

It can be very awkward to confront a guest about breaking house rules. Many friendly people will suddenly become defensive if caught out and take their resentment out on you, or leave bad review because they then suspect they are going to get one too. 

If I was you, I would take some preventative measures. In my experience, it is much easier to get guests to agree to follow rules while they are trying to book with you, or if they think you might cancel the reservation (most guests are not aware of the cancellation penalities for hosts).

So, make sure you include in your house rules that no one outside of guests on the booking will be permitted on the property and this is Airbnb policy. If guests want to have additional people stay or use the facilities, they need to adjust the booking to the correct number of people and pay for them.

I would also state that there is CCTV at the listing and that guests who appear to be breaking this rule, i,e. if any unregistered people are seen entering or leaving the property, they will automatically be charged for the maximum number of people and an additional cleaning fee. Of course, you need to know what your registered guests look like for this to work. Do you meet them on check in?

You need to make all of this crystal clear in your house rules, also because you are more likely to get back up from Airbnb in a dispute if you can prove that the guests broke rules that you had listed.

I would also make sure you reiterate all of this before a guest books or as soon as they book if using IB. You can phrase it very politely: "Just a gentle reminder that it's against Airbnb policy and my house rules for non-regestered guests to enter the property, so do make sure you include the correct number of people on booking, even if they are only visiting for the day. It is much more economical than having to face penalty charges later!" 

I would also find a way to remind them before they come that there is CCTV. You could say it's "for your own safety as well as my peace of mind that no one other than the guests are entering the listing".

I do hope you sort this out. It's really important. You do know that having unregistered guests there can invalidate any claims you might need to make under the Host Guarantee?

View Best Answer in original post

60 Replies 60
Michelle914
Level 2
New Orleans, LA

I also think that, as hosts, we need to stick together.  When this has happened in the past to me, I've requested the extra funds and so far the guests have paid them, so I don't mention it in the review.  I think from now on I am going to mention it in the review so that other hosts can see it. I know that if I saw that in a guest's reviews I wouldn't rent to them.  These people need to have some consequences.  I can still leave a positive review, but also just tack on "Mr. Smith did bring extra guests that were not on the reservation, but when I requested the additional funds he did pay it immediately." 

Thoughts?