FYI hosts, run your own background checks- Airbnb’s ‘checks’ not accurate

Jess78
Level 10
Eugene, OR

FYI hosts, run your own background checks- Airbnb’s ‘checks’ not accurate

Hello everyone,

I’ve been through an ordeal this past week, details of which are in another thread that I won’t launch into here, but you can certainly search for it if you’re interested.

i had a guest that left and I discovered lots of illegal drug use, possible manufacturing, in my home. This was NOT just pot, which is legal here in Oregon. 

The result of a lotof grief with Airbnb about this over the past week is this: 

-I Ran my own background check and I found criminal activity in August of 2015 that was not a traffic offense 

-no contact from the Trust and Safety team, despite 3 promises that they would contact me.

-i received $50.oo in damages due to the ‘odor’ left and nothing else

-I consulted with a hazmat team and followed their instructions,  it there was no advice or contact from Airbnb concerning guest health and safety or my home’s safety. NONE!!!

- no help from Airbnb in getting the drug criminal removed from using this service— he Is probably staying in someone else’s home right now. They said they ‘flagged’ him which only internal employees can see, not potential hosts. Again, HE HAS A CRIMINAL HISTORY and is known to have injected drugs in his body in a host’s home and he is still out and about on this site. 

The local cal news has been contacted about this, even though I hate to do that. All I wanted was a little support from trust and safety and I got absolutely nothing. And now other users of this site are at risk. 

Delisting my two properties as soon as it’s possible and I would recommend the same to others.

63 Replies 63

If airbnb doesn't cover bed bugs (which to be honest is much more likely given the demographic), then forget about meth lab coverage. I've seen comments that even if the guests urinate on the sofa and bed you will get nothing 😞

Airbnb is a somewhat risky way to earn a high multiple on a rental. The risk needs to be tightly managed by intercepting it early and often.

With my normal long term rental all of the risk is taken up front with real background check, employer references, pay stubs and several walk thrus in which you assess the candidate against the field and pick the best. Then you hold 2x rent as well in case you were wrong 🙂

With Airbnb you have constant churn, but much higher risk. i try to do the best assessment I can, which means always meeting them, asking about why, what plans, when etc. it can sound helpful, but in reality if they don't have plans or a purpose I start to keep a close watch...

"What would you do if a guest set up a drug lab" ? I would do what exectly I supose to do CALL THE POLICE !!!

Deb125
Level 10
Lahaina, HI

Agree, and if you decline anyone as a guest,  in your own home, then you're the bad person.. that received a mark against you, not fair

Ma0
Level 7
Los Angeles, CA

Did you report that guest to the police? did that guest booked your listing via instant book? 

Ma0
Level 7
Los Angeles, CA

I hope you wrote your guest from helll a review waring other hosts.

Did you report that guest to the police? did that guest booked your listing via instant book? 

Rose164
Level 2
Windsor, CT

Thanks for sharing, this is some pretty scary stuff. I agree, there’s no help from Airbnb when needed. I also had a bad experience with a guest and I got no where after contacting  Airbnb. 

Very sorry you had to go through such a heroin experience. I’m left with the same feeling about delisting my property. 

Oomesh-Kumarsingh0
Level 10
Pamplemousses, Mauritius

I believe when there are illegal drugs dealing or use of illegal drugs on your property you should contact the cops instead of Airbnb.For Airbnb its all about cash!They rarely ban guests.

Yes, obviously you should contact the police on illegal activities. You should also contact Airbnb as well since they do have the ability to ban users for illegal activities and do a better job at initial screening of users. AIrbnb will lose money from people who 1) start to catch wind that it harbors and coddles guests who are up to no good 2) it puts its own hosts at known risks that they do not disclose, 3) does not support (or believe?) or provide customer service to guests or owners who have contacted them with potential or actual safety/health  matters.

Can't seem to tag (ARGH!)

I'll start a new thread. I've contacted ABB customer support to find out if a current guest had issues with other hosts before and CS said "We can't release that information to you.."

WTF! Yes, release that to other hosts. We need to know if he/she is a danger, liability, problem or overall mental before we allow them into our homes!

Do you think ABB wants to expose itself to a potential lawsuit?

No, they can't release internal records.

Wendy429
Level 2
Happy Valley, OR

That’s scary that I haven’t thought about.

Donna294
Level 3
Orlando, FL

What exactly are the suggestions for performing a background check?  Since the beginning of the year, most of my guests have booked after just joining Air BnB, thus they have no reviews for me to rely upon   I have had guests who only listed their first name (no last name) on their profile, so I did not even have a full legal name for a potential guest.  A second one only listed her name as the letter "A" with no last name.  Why does the system permit people to join without completing all the information, especially their full legal name?  I live approx. 10 minutes away from my rental home.  Should I begin personally meeting them upon check-in rather than a lock-box situation?  From a distance it is appearing there are more guests in the home than initially booked.  I am now assessing how tough and strict I need to be in order not to be taken advantage of?  I try to give my guests full privacy unless they ask me for help, but I am wondering if I should start checking on them to make sure everything is on the up and up?

Hi Donna,

Well it seems that’s since Airbnb’s not supplying us with full names sometimes, not always background checking them, not supporting security deposit requests, not advising us or available at all when safety and health issues arise, not honoring the host guarantee, not blocking guests who are known to have committed illegal acts in other hosts’ homes, and not releasing information on guests when hosts request it, YES. Do your own diligence.  “I’ve have wonderful guests for the most part!”  This is true, until you don’t. And then you’ll kick yourself for not being more aware, I know I am. 

I live about 5 minutes away from the rental myself so I know it’s not always super convenient to look after things very closely, but i’m making an effort to meet everyone now, and go by especially if I don’t hear back from them when I message. 

I request copy of their State IDs before check in ( of everyone who is going to stay at the BnB, that's the person who books and any other guest registered, and I make clear only registered guests with state IDs can stay at the home) 

If a potential guest had their name as A, then I would ask them for their real name - they can see mine.  Likewise with a photograph - I once told a guest that I don't rent my spare room to ducks as I don't have a suitable pond.  She changed her photo of a duck to one of herself, booked, and turned out to be a nice guest.  She was also a first time airbnb user.

You have to chat to your potential guests before they book.  Definitely meet them at the door - if it's more personal, and they like you, then they will take more care of your place.  10 minutes is really close, just hang out on fb while you are waiting.

Sometimes their full name shows up in the email from airbnb, but guessing this is an error on their part.

You can also ask for their full name and check them out on face book.