Fake/misleading host using underage son to run her air b and b

Sian34
Level 1
South Australia, Australia

Fake/misleading host using underage son to run her air b and b

We booked an air B and B that looked like a tidy town house owned by a middle aged woman. Turned out to be a student flat with only her high school aged son running it and his young flatmate. Naturally it was as messy as you’d expect a student flat run by teenage boys to be and not at all like the ad. But the boy was really nice. So I complained to the mother but she kept directing me back to her poor underage son who I felt quite sorry for. Not sure if this situation is even legal or what to do about it?

5 Replies 5
Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Sian34  I would report this listing to Airbnb. It's not okay. No matter how sorry you felt for the son. It's false advertising and the flat was not managed or cleaned to snuff, even if the kid is super nice, he has no business hosting. If it was managed by an underage child of the owner and that kid knew how to present a place for guests, I wouldn't make a fuss, but that's not the case here.

Sian34
Level 1
South Australia, Australia

How do I report it to air B and B?
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

There is a button on the listing you can use but unless there are lots of reports Airbnb are unlikely to act on your report @Sian34. far better to call them. 

If the mother is shown as the host and the listing wasn’t as described , Airbnb says on your booking confirmation you should flag this with the host and Airbnb within 24 hours of arrival.  Did you contact them? 

Not clear from your post . Is the mother shown as the only host - or is the son the co-host? You say he is under age- so you mean under 18?

Also  not clear - are you saying you didn’t know the son and a flat mate where living on the premises? And that the listing said you would just be sharing with the mother? 

If this is is the case please leave an honest review and a thumbs down. 

Quincy
Community Manager
Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

Hi @Sian34,

Welcome to the Community. 

I am sorry to hear that this has happened. I could see that Sarah has recommended informing Airbnb about this listing. You can contact Airbnb by clicking >here<. 

-----

Please follow the Community Guidelines // Volg de communityrichtlijnen

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

I suspect the son wanted to list, but isn't old enough to open an account, so mom opened it in her name. She probably picks up his dirty laundry and washes it for him, too.