Families with kids and wetted sheets :(

Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

Families with kids and wetted sheets :(

We usually do not host children. We did , we regret it and stopped, then made few exceptions, regret it again and we are now officially done with hosting children forever. It is (also but not only ) because EVERY family we hosted had at least one child who peed in bed. And I am talking about kids 3 - 5 - 7.... y.o. , not about infants. 

And NOT THE SINGLE ONE told us about the accident! 

Some of them just left all wetted beddings hanging on the door or in a pile on the floor so we could only guess why they did it, what's happend and on which bed. Others just covered wetted sheet with a duvet hoping we will not notice (??!!) and one of them even turned over the mattrass!

Of course we had to notice it first and then spend significant amount of our very narrow cleaning time to check all beds and all beddings to see what is wetted and to replace it. 

What is wrong with those people? What is wrong with kids today? Do they pee in bed until puberty??? 

We do have water proof sheets on all mattrasses but what bothers me the most is that they don't say anything and don't ask for new sheets . They just transfer their kid to another bed  ... 

Funny thing is that the last family instant booked for all adults (!) and then mentioned 3 small children only in a message. I didn't cancel just because they had all great reviews.  Then they asked for a discount for children (!) and for late check out (!) . Luckly I denied othervise the apartment would not be ready on time for another guest . 

Now I had enough and decided to mention wetted bed in a review and to warn future hosts about it .  Any help with a review is much appreciated , thank you...

36 Replies 36

Oh, @Linda0 And Richard That is something I cannot handle! Vomit! At least they cleaned it up - somewhat! I had a family visit a cat petting place. My nose picked up the stink of cat urine right away. My hallway stunk! Only skunk spray is worse. I asked them to spray the soles of their shoes with vinegar water. It helped. 

Joanna105
Level 3
Vancouver, Canada

I have dealt with soiled sheets/duvet and pukes and even blood in my apartment. Sometimes it's just unfortunate this happens but when your place is family friendly that's just bound to happen. I learned to carefully remove bed linens the hard way now instead of just grabbing them onto my body!

My tips:

- I wrapped all my mattresses with waterproof protector, and I always have just 1 extra set of duvet/bed linen/pillow and waterproof protector on hand when I go clean, just in case I have a tight timeline.

- Baking soda and vinegar on top of detergent works wonder on getting rid of the smell and odor

- Every once a month if you have free time, clean all possible towels and linens and duvet with baking soda and vinegar combo. Just on the safe side.

As soon as I know any children are arriving, I put on my mattress plastic protectors on my futons. My matresses are always covered. Some parents have their children in bed with them with munchies. All of my pillows are covered with quality pillow protectors and I wash them regularly.    My last group had two heavy set kids 5 and 12. As they were walking in, both had bags of chips in one hand and soda in the other. Disgusting! They were munching whenever I saw them.

My rule prohibits food and drinks in bedrooms, but that was ignored. Of course  when they left, I had to do a thorough cleaning job everywhere. Found sticky candy under carpeting under beds! They will not be welcomed here again. I usually have the registered guest sign a copy of House Rules which requires to list all the guests. 

Today, I shall make a large legal size copy of it and post it on a wall as well. I didn't want to be an enforcer, but I have no choice. 

Usually it is not but depends on hotel policy, but it is rare, and can be washed with a dry clean, not having to replace some money  https://bit.ly/2LBQtew, https://bit.ly/2w9toKe , https://bit.ly/2MO1tXy ,https://bit.ly/2Mna2f1 , https://bit.ly/2x90PgB

Jayesh5
Level 6
Hervey Bay, Australia

@Branka-and-Silvia0

I understand your point about children being more work, but, for new hosts who are reading this, I do not feel that these statistics are universally accurate.   

I just checked and we have hostecd 6,035 sets of guest across multiple booking sites since we got the software that tracks this maybe 9 months after we started.  We have had exactly 2 children wet the bed.  We have bought a product that you mix to a ratio with water and it is good for about 20 minutes.  It is bacteria that eats bad bacteria.  We have waterproof covers as well but spritz this on the mattress and as soon as it dries it is good to go.

We host a lot of children on the weekends and during school holidays and it would be a shame for hosts to not feel that their property was not suited to children for this reason alone. 

You can also get double bed mattress protectors for a single bed which will protect down the sides as well.

Love you Branka & Silvia but we have a differring opinion on this one!   Lisa

All my  beds have zip on waterproof covers and mattress covers. Thus far I have not had problems with bedwetting children, but a few grown savages drinking too much beer... My House Rules forbid food and drinks in the bedrooms, but it's difficult to enforce it. I always check thoroughly all bedding, under the bed, etc. I attempt to be present at check in time to set a proper tone. House Rules are posted on line. Also, in the House Rules manual. Upon arrival, I have a copy printed which requires the booking guest's signature. Most of them sign it, but a few ignore it. Finally, I've decided to make up a large framed artistic copy of House Rules to post on the entrance  hallway leading to bedrooms, bathroom,  living room and kitchen. Print will be large enough for children and seniors to read. No one can ignore it! 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

I read a travel blog from a family who uses Airbnb a lot, and they will no longer choose listings with pale coloured sofas after their child wet one. Stain was too visible, despite them turning the cushion over and covering with a throw. No they did not mention it to the host, and were surprised when they were billed $50 for the damage. I would rather have the sofa un-peed and not have the 50 myself.  Yup. thank you, guests. So now they only choose dark sofas! They recommend asking for a discount whenever they travel. Yup again. So if you have a dark sofa and get a family asking for a discount, look out.