First booking, hated every minute

Michelle1180
Level 1
San Antonio, TX

First booking, hated every minute

My first booking was booked, and it was for 30 days. I looked up previous booking, seemed like a nice young man, military young man, very polite and to his self, but the stay is costing me too much( probably exaggeration just feels like it ) he washes 2 loads of clothes everyday, and uses our laundry soap, never once thought about buying his own, the new couch I just put in the suit is stained, I’ve had to enter the room twice to take out the trash because I could smell it outside the room, I have baskets of trial size bathroom essentials like tooth paste, body wash, mouth wash, so that guest don’t have to rush to the store that are staying more then a week, yet he’s gone through all the trial size things and doesn’t go to the store to get his own, uses my coffee cups for eating chili out of, leaves left over food sitting out, it just goes on and on....do people not have common sense, we are here to provide every single thing needed. Never again, one booking, last booking!   thank god he’s only got 6 more days until the month is over. 

7 Replies 7
Ana1136
Level 10
Ohrid, Macedonia (FYROM)

@Michelle1180 it is your responsibility to enforce house rules. It would be amazing if everyone had common sense but that is not the case. Each hosts has his own rules and if a guest doesn't follow you can terminate his reservation in any time. No host gere would stay quiet for a month in their own home. And not every guest is like this, he just saw that you don't say anything and took advantage of you.

Mark116
Level 10
Jersey City, NJ

LOL, maybe don't give up yet.  You could lower your maximum number of days to 2 weeks....I find that guests who stay 3+ weeks, if you don't really like them, will get on your nerves, and we don't even rent a shared space, but it's the same house. 

Gregory87
Level 10
Minneapolis, MN

Welcome to hosting via Airbnb @Michelle1180!  Your listing looks fantastic and I'm sure you'll have lots of guests who want to book in the future.

However, from your description both in the listing and here, it sounds like you're providing the services of a hotel.  I agree with the suggestion of @Mark116 that you limit stays--at least until you get a handle on how guests treat your space and what is comfortable for you.

Also, @Ana1136 is correct that you need to set expectations and limits with your House Rules.  Don't wait until check-in (as you mention in your introduction) for visitors to read the Guest Book.  Many don't do so AND you want them to know what they can and can't do as well as what you will or won't provide during the stay in advance.  

Laundry is acceptable in my rental, but many other hosts either charge for the use of facilities or expect guests to provide their own detergent and other supplies.  Perhaps state that guests may use your facilities, but should replace the supplies they use.

I state that long-term guests are responsible for taking out the trash/recycling and detail the day and how to do it (as well as the location of replacement bags).  Cleaning service is not provided during the stay and if they would like it, an additional charge and scheduled appointment with my cleaner is required.  Towels and linens may be requested once a week during the visit.  Toiletries are provided once for the number of guests.  Anything additional must be purchased from a local store.

Reiterate your main expectations/rules upon initial confirmation of the booking and again prior to check-in.  Enforce your policies during the visit and update your rules afterwards as necessary.

Don't give up yet!  You can do this. 

P.S.  You might want to correct this rule:  "Will consider travel pets under 20 lbs with pet deposit. Pets left in home without guest must be crated, and out of respect for future guest, pets are allowed in the bed." to read that "...NO PETS are allowed in the bed".

Roger103
Level 2
McDonough, GA

Hang in there!  Everything new is a learning experience and I think some fellow people here have already given you some good advice.

Good Luck!!!

Letti0
Level 10
Atascosa, TX

@Michelle1180  If you want to met up for lunch to discuss guests from H E double L hockey sticks let me know, I'll buy lol. Message if interested. You really need to enforce rules and list them. This guy was miltary, he was obviously off base for a reason and it wasn't family, he wanted to be a slob and be caterered too. He probably looked for a new host he could walk all over for fear of a bad review. If he's military he's traveling alot would be my guess. As a new host please do not agree to long term rentals, you need some experience behind you before attempting them. Texas gives you great options for removing guests immediately for stays under 28 days after that they fall under the tentant laws, so don't do them would be my recommendation. The first time this jerk was making you uncomfortable with his actions you needed to confront him about them ASAP. I am sorry, but I am not your maid you are required to clean up after yourself. You dirty dishes you wash them, you are required to keep the place in the condition it was prior to your acrivities. No food allowed in the bedrooms or any other room other than the kitchen  under any conditions you may eat it at the table only. Limit in your rules 1 load of laundry allowed per 7 days/week. Period. Put in bottles of shampoo and bar soaps, but that's it on supplies for a long term rental. They are not required by AirBnB or needed for you to provide. State starter items provided for long term rentals only. You need to take back your home. They are not in control of the situations, you are. 

Sarah977
Level 10
Sayulita, Mexico

@Michelle1180   Don't let this first bad egg destroy your desire to host. Other posters have given you great advise of how to vet renters, word your listing description, and be firm and clear about house rules and expectations.

If you are taking care of the guest's towels and bed linen, there is no reason anyone needs to do more than one load of wash per week. There have been many reports here of young (especially) guests who will fire up the washing machine on full load on a daily basis to wash a pair of socks, a tee shirt and some underwear. And then the dryer, of course.

@Michelle1180 My suggestion to new hosts is to start out with a low maximum stay (1 week, for example) for several reasons. First is the steep learning curve - it can take several guests' worth of practice to figure out which types of stays are the best fit, how to vet guests properly, and what rules and boundaries you need to communicate upfront. But another good reason to stick to short stays for awhile is that it helps you get a bunch of reviews on your listing quickly and build up a reputation that attracts the best guests.

However, if you prefer to have longer stays with less frequent turnover, it's best to eliminate the hotel-style services. Guests who are staying more than a week or two are basically housemates. They should be expected to be more independent when it comes to supplying their own toiletries, food, etc and keeping the place tidy.

Since @Letti0 says tenancy kicks in after 28 days, that should be your absolute maximum unless you are prepared for a legal nightmare with a guest who won't leave.