First-time AirBnB users/Falsely stating reason for stay

Rob184
Level 2
Oklahoma City, OK

First-time AirBnB users/Falsely stating reason for stay

We are experienced host with two venues for about 4 years.  It's been our policy to always consider first time users (folks with no reviews) because guests have to get started 'somewhere'.  Our listings are complete, accurate and our house rules are repeated in our listing three or four times.  The most important rule to us is no parties and no partiers and accurate number of guests.   Everything has always moved along well untill recent months where we have agreed to host with clear conversation and undertanding (always within AirBnB messaging for a record) about our house rules.  These new folks are downright liers!  We have had to evict parties at 2am and more recently to women who set up a studio and pirated our internet to perform on an adult online sex chat.  AirBnB has been remarkable working with us to get these folks off our property and off AirBnB.  Is anybody else out there experiencing this problem?  What can we do in the inquiry phase to be insured we don't have repeat creeps?  Thank you,  Rob in OKC 

4 Replies 4
Branka-and-Silvia0
Level 10
Zagreb, Croatia

@Rob184 uh.. you could browse through CC forum and will find posts with similar topics and suggestions.

Some are: higher prices, no instant bookings, surveliance cameras and similar gadgets like wifi locks etc... be present on check in, take their photo ID and make a picture or photocopy of it... just don't forget to mention it in your house rules.

You could also set that only people with positive reviews from previous hosts can instant book but then you will lose all new users and there are a lot of them

Regarding internet you should put in your house rules something like: "It is forbidden any illegal behaviour including illegal internet download. The guest is responsible for any fees." As I've seen here on CC it should release you from any responsability.

Jana953
Level 2
Round Rock, TX

Thank you for your suggestions. We had the very same thing happen. She said ‘booking for family reunion stay’. Well it was a teenage underage full blown puke birthday party. My bio does say NO PARTIES! The cleaning took 2 trips to complete with 2 people for 8 hours. I don’t believe the original booker was even there. Battery ran out on our ring. I did arrive 15 minutes before check out and waited down the street. All I saw were teenagers- high school, 1 of them left her school ID....? I don’t want to put in a cleaning fee, maybe a refundable deposit? I will add the rules more than 1 time as suggested. We have self check in and check out. We live 1 hour and 15 minutes away. I will contact my DIL or a friend that lives close to check ID’s. Thank you for your great suggestions. 

Jana953
Level 2
Round Rock, TX

I need to check my internet for inappropriate or illegal use too. I have not even thought about that nugget. The posting of a sign is something we will do also. Thank y’all from Texas. 

Joy127
Level 2
Brisbane City, AU

Hi I had a similar experience with homeless people booking and then refusing to leave and not paying for additional days and I have needed to get police involved. I changed my automatic listing acceptance to really strict with everything including past ratings turned on. Others can still enquire but they need to have the conversation via Airbnb before they can book. It doesn’t stop it happening but it does at least provide written proof that things have been explained when things go wrong and I need to provide proof to get police involved