Flights were cancelled, any recourse for guests for lost nights?

Flights were cancelled, any recourse for guests for lost nights?

I have a situation I'm not sure how to proceed. Also, with the Airbnb Support I only see an option to decisively request refunds.. But not inquire about initial due process... So I turn here.

My son and I had four nights booked with a host in New York City. Our flight to New York however was cancelled at the last second by the airline. We got tickets for the next day on another airline, but that flight was also cancelled, due to weather and airplane crowding at La Guardia.

So we missed two of the four nights of our stay, though these circumstances were totally out of our control. And the amount for those two nights adds up to hundreds of dollars.

Do we have any recourse for a refund for those lost nights? I'm not sure where this stands in terms of policies or etiquette. Thank you-

31 Replies 31

Why is it bold when it's weather related and out of the guests control? As a business owner the hosts must accept there is risk in their customers traveling that is force majeure. Many of you talk as if it's the guests fault and they knew they booked during a flight cancellation. As business owners know your risks and price your products accordingly. I'm disappointed in the majority of the host replies here. I'm a landlord myself and know that if the roof collapsed due to a blizzard it's not the tenants fault. Please understand your customers.

Well today my insurance company told me they could not reimburse me for two of 16 nights. 

no insurance covers cost of accommodation if the airline cancels . Unless it is a reason out of the airlines hands..such as weather, strike action, fault.

If the airline cancels because of overbooking, under staffed insurance doesnt cover it..

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Christopher, this is really between you and the airline or your travel insurer, not the host. It is also possible that your home insurance (most certainly if you are Swedish) or a VISA card will carry basic travellers insurance without you having to do anything at all. Check. I really cannot see how this is an Airbnb issue? Sorry.

I didn't say anything about the host! This is how internet commenting goes out of control. I DID NOT SAY ANYTHING ABOUT CHALLENGING THE HOST. I asked about whether there might be recourse from Airbnb, and how to contact them. I've already gotten a refund from the airline about the flights. Jeez Louise.

Contact details would be on your confirmation. ABB are a booking service, they keep part of the charge and pass the rest on to the host.

I suppose they could refund their commission but sounds a long shot.

David
Helen3
Level 10
Bristol, United Kingdom

Christopher why are you getting so annoyed? You have already been given the phone number to contact BnB earlier in this post. It's also on your booking confirmation details.

I am not sure why you don't call the number if you want to get in touch in BnB for an answer, rather than posting on here in an increasingly irritated manner.

No you're not sure are you? I haven't called because I am in the middle of the Atlantic Ocean and I don't have a phone. I just finding people chiming in with digressions and assumptions to be rather irritating. As soon as I get home I will resolve this. 

Please let us know what you find out.

David
Fiona0
Level 5
Bournemouth, United Kingdom

If ABB agree to extenuating circumstances, (which I don't think they will for a cancelled flight), they will give you your money back, less the ABB service fee, and the host will be out of pocket.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Travel insurance....did you not have any?

doesnt cover it....

Steven19
Level 2
Boston, MA

BUY TRAVEL INSURANCE NEXT TIME

If you ask for money back from Airbnb and they decide to refund you they will take that money from the host.  That is why people are replying that you should have had travel insurance or that you should not ask for a refund.  Because any refund will not come from 'big faceless internet company Airbnb' but will actually come directly out of the tiny pocket of your host, who reserved the room for you in good faith and of course was unable to rerent it for those nights because 1) you did not cancel your reservation so the nights were not available to rent out and 2) it was too last minute to rerent the room anyway. 

So while you are asking what you should do to get your money back, money you are out because of the behavior of the airline which caused your travel interruptions, other hosts (almost everyone on this forum is a host) are thinking that it is pretty entitled and unfair of you to expect the host to pay for your losses so that you do not have to.  That is why they are not encouraging you to ask Airbnb for a refund.

Neil589
Level 2
Cardiff, United Kingdom

doesnt cover it clever cloggs