Free infants, up to 5 free infants? In a listing that is set to a total of 4 guests?

DragonflyHill-Collective0
Level 10
Desert Hot Springs, CA

Free infants, up to 5 free infants? In a listing that is set to a total of 4 guests?

This is really messed up. Now when hosts indicate that our listing is suitable for up to X guests, it's really X guests + 5 free children under 2 years old, and there's no way to adjust for this. This is outrageous. 1. We should have a say in who comes in our homes for free, 2. We should determine the total number of guests. 3. FIVE FREE INFANTS? REALLY? FIVE? THAT'S A WHOLE PRESCHOOL CLASS. EVEN PRESCHOOL CLASSES HAVE A COST AND THOSE KIDS GO HOME AT THE END OF THE DAY.

WE want our home to be comfortable for children and welcoming, but when we said we could only accommodate up to 4 people, that didn't mean up to 9 people if 5 of them were under 2 years old. It didn't mean free lodging for ANYONE.

You could allow hosts to offer free passage to children, in a discount setting. You could allow guests to search for "chlldren are free" or "infants are free" in a search feature.

You absolutely have to allow hosts to determine how many people they can comfortably, affordably and safely lodge.

My email, because you always ask for that, is [email address removed] But then you never message.

We've added the following statement to our listing:

"While we are children friendly, we cannot provide free accommodations for children OF ANY AGE.  We welcome your children into our home but all fees and total number of guest limits apply.  We love and welcome children but at the prices we are offering, we cannot afford to have extra people of any age here, without compensation for our labor and resources. "

15 Replies 15
Marit-Anne0
Level 10
Bergen, Norway

@Jane542

It is a crazy concept - I suggest you contact airbnb and ask them to cancel penalty free. Inform your guests over the platform what is going to happen and explain why.

I have the same situation with a small holiday home that sleeps 4, so I had to tick the "not suitable for children/infant boxes.  Anyone entering more than 4 will have to send a request, which in turn needs to be declined.  There is no room for a baby bed.

I have also mentioned the fact in the description and the house rules.