Getting Guests to Read

Trey10
Level 2
SF, CA

Getting Guests to Read

I see lots of conversation topics that could be listed as "Guests don't read"

We have too often had guests who just don't read: 
*The room has a shared bathroom with one other person (our housemate), it's stated several times in the description and listed that way. We get dinged on ratings sometimes because the bathroom is shared. 
*The room is 'courtyard level' (meaning one side is half underground, the other side fully above ground). It's described that way specifically, twice. We get dinged on ratings sometimes (one recent one from a superhost, you'd expect they'd read!)
*The room is a private room, listed and priced that way, not an entire space. People (including above superhost) dinged us for that even though it's listed that way, and has 30 professional photos and a description that way. Frankly, for a private room, it has it's own kitchenette, hangout area w/ TV, etc. Might as well be an entire house but for the entrance.. but we price it as a single private room. 
*People ding us occasionally on street noise even though we describe it as an urban street TWICE in the description and  in the listing as something to consider. We provide a white-noise machine and earplugs for those more sensitive.  Still, people ding us for street noise (really, if you want an amazing urban location, don't expect woodland silence).

How do you get your guests to read the descriptions and listing so they aren't 'surprised'?

We have a 4.9 rating on that space (4.5 our our house when we are on vacation because we had a nightmare guest who left us 2 star ratings), for a total of 4.8. That's not bad, but we'd like to keep it above that?

46 Replies 46

Oh yeah, sorry, wrong listing. That one is rare, just when our college student is traveling (which he is this month), rare. Not set up for Airbnb really (though eventually we might, and probably get better photos/stuff, etc)

The listing that we use as fulltime Airbnb is “Courtyard Room in Beautiful Victorian”  or our full home when we are on vacation in summer or Christmas “Hayes Valley Victorian Home”

sorry, yes, the one you were looking at is not a great listing , but we only rent it out maybe 20 nights a year. 

The main one though could also use better pictures (even though they were AIRBNB professionals) and a bit less clutter of things (too many bookcases and things for show) as you said about the other one. It’s on our list of things to do... just need to do them.

@John1574 wrote:

@Trey10

After @Paul154 's comment I checked your listing something I don't usually do.

I am adamantly opposed to hosts putting the kind of description of themselves that includes your entire CV, all your work and educational accomplishments etc. etc. 

To each his own, but it gives me the impression that people who do that are totally full of themselves. 

I don't mean to imply that you are totally full of yourself.  That's just the impression I get no matter who does it.  It Makes me feel resentful. 

Remember, resentment and jealousy ruin the world.  They also rule the world. 

I would consider that some of the reviews you're complaining about are simply designed to bring you down a peg or two. 

A description of yourselves like you have does not in any way convey that you are humble people with a sense of humility despite your incredible accomplishments. 

No offense, but I personally would never book with anybody that has a description of themselves like you guys have. 

Then again I despise staying at four-star hotels.  I can't stand the kind of people who work there or the kind of people stay there. 

So I'm a guy with certain Picadillo's. 

Just consider that to me, and probably some other people, your description at the head of your listing is very offputting. 

It seems to have worked for you so you must make a decision on how to solve the problem that you are concerned with at the moment.

It is a constant process of tweaking, working analysis and going with the flow to absorb the changes in the business environment.

Good luck. 

in the feedback delivery dept bit personalize and overkill.  not sure that has anything to do with the issue at hand.

~~~~~~~
like nikey: just do it
John1574
Level 10
Providence, RI

@Lisa723@Trey10 

Lisa makes a good point.   Not the one about me being confused, though. 

I see the profile as part of an Airbnb listing, an integral part of a listing. 

I think Trey has received a great response to his thread.   But they are so accomplished and so successful, and they are doing everything right as they see it, and who can argue with success.

They asked the crowd and the crowd answered. 

That's called crowd-sourcing.  In some industries they call it a focus group. 

It's up to you Trey to take or leave the advice and feedback he has received here. 

Yes, most of the response has been great, even some of the response about things I didn’t ask about. 

I disagree with your response, so you are right, I’ll take and leave what is helpful.  

Judi46
Level 1
Varysburg, NY

I am having problems doing am update and better explaining accomodations.   We have two double rooms with a full bed in each and a single room with a twin bed andone rollaway bed but I don not know how to load this  more complete information at The Deutsches Haus Bed and Breakfast.  How do I do the update? Judi

Paige73
Level 6
Lansdowne, PA

You have to set up the space as if you're guests can't read or use reasonable deduction.  Extra linens in plain site, dishes on the table, verbally repeat the important stuff, no smoking or whatever. Pretend they're aliens from another planet that don't understand our ways. I still write detailed rules and descriptions in my listing to protect myself, but I'm not gonna assume they can read on the planet they're from.

Barbara1051
Level 2
Penzance, United Kingdom

Thanks for this!

It is horrible to be always repeating things in exactly the way you describe..

Then run the risk that the guest will review you as being 'bossy', 'controlling' or 'treat them like an idiot'.

It would help if they read things & didn't behave like idiots.

Claude211
Level 1
Brighton, United Kingdom

I am struggling with this too as a new-ish host. This conversation has been very useful. I think some of my problems may also be coming from translation issues. My last 2 bookings didn't understand the difference between "private bathroom"  (which it is) versus "ensuite" (which its not). I have changed the lisiting to try to make this even clearer now., but the loss of rating is huge having had only 5* till now but not that many bookings.

Good point.

Airbnb need to change this on their Space Description section...'Private Bathroom', should  also be shower or washroom or ensuite.

As bathroom also implies that there is a bath.

American English V UK English.

Lucrecia2
Level 4
Guatemala

I agree with you that not only some guests don’t read but they rate you not based on the house description that they picked but how their dream house would be. I have had guests tell me that the house is too small that if I described 3 bathrooms (1 for each bedroom) they want a 4th! I do not care the sugestions but hate it when they give me 3 stars!

I have a prewritten info where I explain that the stars should be based on the description. 

If someone rents a $10 bedroom it should not be compared to a $95 bedroom in the same area!

Zacharias0
Level 10
Las Vegas, NV

ive noticed that much as well. i think either the guests see a different version of what we are writing or there is just too much to read. im not sure how you can make it easier besides messaging every guest in advance of their stay a standard message about what to expect and leave it up to them if they want to cancel. They would surely give you 5 stars for communication.  🙂

Mary1081
Level 2
Cambridge, NY

I'm experiencing the same problem.  The description of my rental is very clear.  I have a guestbook with a written description and I meet the guests for an oral orientation. So host and guest both have a chance to ask questions, make requests or voice concerns.  We also make ourselves available for comments and discussion after the stay.  It is as if some guests ignore any attempt at communication.  This is year 3 for my AIRBNB and until this year I've not had a bad experience. So really we're lucky to have had such great guests.  But the couple of bad apples this summer are perplexing so I've decided to post a list of House Rules.  The Guest Book has a WELCOME letter that does state expectations.  But I guess for some its too nice of an approach.  

Barbara1051
Level 2
Penzance, United Kingdom

HI

I can relate so much to this.

Guest do not read prior instructions, or signage around the premises.

Despite reading & checking a 'House Rules' section on the booking page.

I do not wish to insult people's intelligence with big signs in capital letters, preferring light,funny ones to get the message across gently about cleaning, checkout, cooking smells etc.

Nonetheless, I am resorting to bigger ones, and have increasing trouble delivering the same message verbally in a polite way after a whole summer of back to back bookings, & repeated ignoring of house rules and signage.

The whole thing is embarrassing and frustrating.

Guests seem to expect a helluva lot for not much money.

They complain about things that I have made clear in photo's and the description.

I live in a high end tourist area, where hotels are very pricy.

People seem to expect the same standards and facilities that they get in a 5* hotel, for a hostel price.

When they have a fridge, kettle toaster & breakfast food, hairdryer, usb charger etc in their room, a private shower, and often private time slot use of the  huge kitchen; Use of the garden, free local parking, wifi etc

And then choose how much of the house rules they obey and what time they leave...treating me like I am their servant, not that it is my house & home, & that we have to share the space & look after it equally.

Adults should behave like adults.

Hosts need more support from Airbnb with guest self responsibility, and consequential host respect.

It seems like the hosts have to toe an increasingly strict line, whilst being patronised by Airbnb and guests alike.

Really good to be on a forum that hopefully will resolve these issues for everyone, all round.

Jill2
Level 8
Franklin, TN

Guests not reading is definately one of the most annoying things about hosting.  Fortunately my 3 casitas are independant units with own front door...really feel sorry for the hosts who rent a room in their home who have to deal with the guests thinking they get whole place!

I do still however send a message always over airbnb or VRBO platform that says.  Please confirm the following....blah blah blah.  Always in bullet points.  Guest have to confirm before i accept reservations.

I also do not accept bookings until they have told me a little about their trip ie. business or pleasure, etc. etc.

Jill

I’m in the beginning of the host story but I’m already changing attitude. First guests who didn’t read made me feel angry. Now I start laughing. The latest: IB from host (!). He is coming at 2 pm, planning to drop off his luggage... He didn’t read even the first two lines of the description and house rules! Check in is from 9 in the evening! No drop off amenity in the listing. I’m afraid I should contact CS to cancel this reservation.