Getting a recommendation

Rich35
Level 2
Providence, RI

Getting a recommendation

As a new host -- 2 upcoming bookings -- but no reviews -- I see I can get

recommendations for my profile from my friends and colleagues. But the link to request

recommendations just seems to send the recepient to the air B and B main site -- with no further guidance and no 

regard fr whether someone has actually used Air B and B before. Please advise

11 Replies 11
Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

@Rich35

Cant really answer your query - but what I would say is the reviews from your first two guests will be a hundred times more valuable than a recommendation from a friend. It's important to get those two first guests to leave reviews - so when they are leaving just tell them you'd really appreciate them taking the time to proved a review as it will help you as a new starter on Airbnb

Exactly -- I did do that and he promised to do so.  But that was Saturday, it's Wednesday, so I am going to send hima  gentle reminder as I have not heard from him.  Thanks

Lois-and-Darryl0
Level 10
Rochester, WA

@Rich35:  I totally agree with the other commenter that your first two or three reviews will set the stage and have significant more positive impact than a recommendation.  I felt just like you last year when I started, and am glad I didn't go with a recommendation to begin.  I did leave a little personal note for the Guests (and still do with most of our Guests), and I actually asked them if they could leave a positive review - if they were comfortable with that - that as Hosts just starting out on Airbnb, the reviews are very important to starting up this little business.  In exchange, I received the most wonderful reviews.  They were beautiful, and well worth the wait!  Good Luck!  Lois & Darryl

Thank you L and D. Great Idea!

I didn't do that with my first guest but I did  talk  to him later about something else and he said he was going  to write me a good review. That was Saturday -- I reminded him again yesterday via text as I had not heard from him.  We already wrote him a good review and we are still waiting.

Thanks

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Rich35

When I started out as newbie without any reviews I was able to send reference invites by emails to all my friends and family who had over the years stayed with me. But now it's only thru Facebook. I'm thinking that what you're experiencing is a temporary glitch.

It's true as @Gerry-And-Rashid0 say, references aren't as valuable as reviews, and references also disappear further and further down as new reviews appear.

However in my experience several of my first guests remarked on my "good reviews" because they didn't know the difference.

And when I see how esp. newbie hosts are targeted by all kinds of bad guests who wouldn't have a chance with experienced ones, I think that having a number of references can give your listing less of a newbie look.

You didn't hear this from me, but you could do the following: invite family or friends to book maybe for a night, even at the lowest amount Airbnb allows in exchange for a review. Reimburse them every $ they paid to Airbnb, and it's a small investment for some good reviews. 

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Plus it allows you to get some real feedback without having to be afraid of them claiming a refund if something isn't as good as expected 😉

Hi Andrea,

thanks for your response here. I am looking for friends who have stayed to offer reviews. Can you suggest how it is done through Facebook please?

Does it mean that the listing must go onto my Facebook page as I did not want this. 

Do you know the link to the way it was formerly done through airbnb please? It might just send me to the right section as I've been hunting around the site for far too many hours now and I don't seem to find a place to offer this link to frinrds / colleagues wanting to review. 

I have a new listing which I manage for my Dad but he as a realestate agent was able to holiday let the place for years before airbnb so it would be great to set the tone with a few of these recommendations. 

Many thanks in advance.

Kind regards

Jodea

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jodea0

There's a function normally under the section where you can see the reviews you left for guests that also allow you to invite others to write a reference for you (doesn't influence your star status but helps you get a foot ahead and not look like a newbie without reviews). At the time of the start of this thread last year it had been changed to invite thru Facebook. 

But since the ABB site website is continuously being changed I just spent almost 10min cycling around trying to find it for you. Unsuccessfully. It seems they've taken it out. 

If you want friends to leave you a review, have them book and stay. Maybe give them a friend reduction as enticement...

Hope this helps.

Thanks Andrea,

I could not find either and I am guessing if one goes through FaceBook it means to put the property for those to see on FaceBook?

My FaceBook is just not so appropriate for this being my fathers property is all and me not being friends with any of his clients having stayed there so I really don't want this on my personal page to then become a function of somethign that I feel should really be handled on the ABB site?

you time is most appreciated.

Many thanks

Jodea

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Jodea0 

I think FB is only meant to be used as log in option. I personally don't want to connect it in any way to ABB, which is why I use email log in. Means if I started out now and didn't connect ABB with FB I wouldn't be able to invite friends thru FB to write a recommendation for me. But I'd prefer that than the invasion of privacy that linking the two would mean (like the major FB hack this summer, meaning a potential possibility of getting your ABB account accessed by bad players...

I prefer erring on the careful side, so in your case I'd suggest don't link your FB account, esp, also since it's your father's property. Then if you want reviews quickly, invite a few friends to book at a reduced price and leave a review. If you wish to reimburse them privately, that's up to you.

Also, I'd turn off the default Instant booking for the listing until you get used to the system and have a better feeling for guests and possible scams or other problems and how to vet guests. That way you have the option to accept/decline every single booking request. Then after 6 months or a year you could decide to turn it on,  just make sure you check off the strictest option (good reviews, ID...)

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

Ammendment:

"wouldn't be able to invite friends thru FB to write a recommendation for me" - that is, if this is even still possible.