Gift Card purchasing error

Laura714
Level 1
New York, NY

Gift Card purchasing error

Whenever I try to buy a gift card for someone, I keep getting the following error message:

"You are not eligible to purchase a gift card at this time. We are sorry for the inconvenience."

Has this happened to anyone, and do you know how to resolve it?

Thanks.

18 Replies 18
Maria2135
Level 1
Chicago, IL

I'm trying to purchase a giftcard and it keeps just spinning endlessly after I've submitted my payment info...doesn't airbnb want people to purchase giftcards? Confused why this issue has been going on for a year.

It's been a problem for a few years. Currently I've decided to order Airbnb gift cards from Staples but, it's already been 3 days when they say it should take 24 hours for email delivery.  Guess Airbnb is getting so profitable they don't care about service anymore. 

Forget ordering Airbnb gift cards from Staples. They go through a third party and it's no better than the issues with the Airbnb site. 

Amol3
Level 1
Mountain View, CA

@Airbnb Please look into this matter ASAP. Kindly make this your high priority as your customer experience is being affected. 
Today, I tried purchasing a $300 gift card but my Chase Sapphire card got declined since it needed an additional verification step through Visa. I called Chase and they mentioned they did not block the transaction. It's a data transfer problem since it goes through Airbnb, Visa and Chase servers back and forth. I could have used another payment method but I want to use this specific card because I earn travel point with its usage.

Also, some people are complaining about redeeming the gift card. Now I'm wondering if I should even risk buying the gift card if my friend won't be able to redeem it.

Your business just lost $300 and more from all these disappointed customers. Please work on your user experience!