Great CX experience re unresponsive guest

Nancy0
Level 2
SF, CA

Great CX experience re unresponsive guest

I've been agonizing over a booked guest since their reservation late August (for 1/19). I did not (then) have IB and did not love his terse unfriendly booking communication. But unlike many, he did have a rather detailed profile and positive reviews. So I said, hey, I've been pleasantly surprised before, I'll accept. I had no worries about safety, just found him abrupt and unpleasant, a big contrast to the norm over the past 5 years.

I sent out my customized confirmation message within a few days and requested confirmation that he'd received it plus flight details so I could project arrival time (I use the Airbnb email system for that, since I include a photo of my house and a brochure). On 11/11 when I not received any response, I sent an email via the Airbnb message system (for documentation). I decided to call Airbnb to see what kind of support they could offer should I failed to get an answer. They were terrific, would have reached out for me and/or canceled the reservation for me (w/ no penalty) given "unresponsiveness". I decided to give the guest a chance to reply and darned, he did. W/ a curt apology for the delay, he was coming and would provide flight info.

6 weeks later I'd not received further information. I grappled with myself, saying oh it's only 3 days, I can handle it, maybe I'll wait until a week before arrival and call Airbnb then. BUT, decided I do not want this rude guy in my sweet little place. He was coming for a concert and I could just imagine how loud and thoughtless he would be coming and going with the front door right by my bedroom. Plus, if I had him canceled now, he'd have more time to find an alternative (3 weeks away).

So, I called Airbnb to see if they would be supportive given the circumstances. I told the truth of what had transpired, said it seemed he would be better in a hotel. And that I really found him rude and discourteous and did not want him in my small place. The rep did not think twice, said of course they could cancel for me, with no penalties, the rep was supportive and respectful, would send me a confirmation message and open up my calendar for those dates. And, they would refund all fees to the guest and offer to help him find another place. All proceeded as described. I had another guest in 6 hours via IB, very friendly and responsive...So, there is hope and help. It does seem they have not forgotten us hosts and how to treat us with respect and kindness (at least at times..). Had to share, given all the gripes I/we had had with CX and Airbnb as they've grown. Happy New Year everyone. I am just thrilled to start 2017 free of the bad juju that guest represented.

[Link hidden]
6 Replies 6
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

@Nancy0  You might want to edit your posting because you start with saying the issue was for 1/19 not 1/17.  Good posting, though.  I have always had great customer service.  While I believe some hosts have not had an optimal experience, I am dismayed by the often very mean postings about Air BNB custom service.

@Linda0, thanks for your message. Sorry for the confusion re ck in date. It was Jan. 19th (2017). Still happy it will not happen!

Nicole183
Level 2
Washington, DC

I personally feel like the guest didn't do anything wrong as you were requesting info 2 months before he was even arriving. It sounds like you ask for a lot as a host.

ITA with @Nicole183 I have never asked for nor received flight details or other information regarding how guests are planning on arriving or departing my vacation rental. Also I have never been asked for nor provided transporation information to any accomidation where I have stayed. If OP's accomidation is a shared space perhaps knowing the time of arrival and departure is helpful and having flight numbers help in case of delays (I assume that is why rental car agencies asked for times and flight numbers), but for whole house accomidations, requesting the information and then cancelling if it is not provided seems a little extreme.

David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

Glad you had a good experience but in this instance I feel sorry for the guest. Some nationalities are blunt by nature and cancelling him n this thin premise is very unprofessional considering the time you took to make the final decision. 

Lizzie
Former Community Manager
Former Community Manager
London, United Kingdom

This is great to hear @Nancy0 and I am glad the worrying is over, I am sure the Support team would be very happy to hear this. Thanks so much for sharing here. 🙂

--------------------

Thank you for the last 7 years, find out more in my Personal Update.

Looking to contact our Support Team, for details...take a look at the Community Help Guides.