Greece, house right on the sea

Greece, house right on the sea

Hello everyone, plain and simple: I am the owner of a very cute house with an incredible sea-front position in northern Peloponnese, but it does not seem to attract much interest. I have spent nearly all my savings to make important works (the whole new roof, external walls, new hidraulic connections + whole bathroom of which I'll post new photos asap, etc.), but: nothing. It is very sad and disppointing. Suggestions highly appreciated. Cheers, Stefanos

10 Replies 10
Elena87
Level 10
СПБ, Russia

@Stefano425

You could...

Stop cancelling bookings ; from your reviews it shows you've done this twice lately. You will be seen as high risk.

Don't hide behind a picture of a cat in your listing

Re-think your listing photos - 90 plus pics is too many, you need an editor. A picture is worth a thousand words but a thousand pictures is zzzzz

Pricing in August..you have got some hidden add on costs in your listing in the small print, maybe this explains the cancellations. This lack of transparency would deter bookers.

Your availability looks quite limited, not so sure why you are sad. Always look on the bright side etc

that's my two-bob's worth.

Hello Elena, thank you for your interest and reply.
I had to cancel the last booking because the reconstruction works in the house did not end on the date that had to end, and the workers needed another month to finish the job: I explained this to both the guests and to Airbnb with one month anticipation (not the day before check-in) and they did not even answer.

Anyway that policy of ''marking'' the owner with the cancelled sign, like a sort of funny delinquent, is not so nice and helpful, looks like you do it on purpose for some kind of personal fun and it doesn't really make any sense! Period.
Thank you for the other suggestions and tips, I sure take note and proceed. Of course you are welcome any time in the house. Cheers, Stefano

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Stefano425

Stefano, you have a very nice listing but mate.....92 photos!!! You have 47 pictures of the ocean! People get bored, they want to see what they are going to be offered.....apart from the Mediterranean! 

As @Elena87 has said guests get scared when they see a cancellation or two, Guests don't want to spend a lot money getting to their destination having their heart in their mouth wondering if the booking can actually proceed.

One cancellation is bad enough but two in six months Stefano, is the 'kiss of death'! I haven't cancelled a reservation since I have been hosting.....215 guests through here without a cancellation.

You need to do a bit of work on your style Stefano, dump about 60 of those photos and restrict yourself to a few of the best. A really nice photo can be spoilt, first time it looks gorgeous, after the fifth similar shot the guest says.....bugger this, lets move on!

It will take a leap of faith for those booking request to return from your cancellations though! This latest one in April, it may be worth getting onto CS in Greece on +30 211 1989888, explain your situation, why you had to cancel and see if they can remove you from penalty.

The other thing you can do is get a bit of activity happening on your profile to lift your visibility in search rankings. The algorithm that governs search placement responds to activity. Keep changing a few things around on your listing, add a house rule, lift the price by $1 one day and then drop it again the next...keep something happening and that will improve your visibility.

I am sorry that things have come to a standstill Stefano, but I have the feeling you may have shot yourself in the foot here.

Cheers.....Rob

Hello Robin, thank you very much for your interest,

I've been a professional photographer for many years, maybe that's where the 'problem' starts 🙂 Ok I will delete half the pictures if that's a big obstacle, I thought it may be attractive and I was wrong.

As I said above, the last cancellation was due to delays in the reconstruction works (I explained it and got NO answer), while the only one other previous cancellation was requested by the guests himself, so?.. what should I do when it is the guest himself that ask ''please can you cancel my booking'' and I do it because I am always super nice and always available to my guests?

I am 'under punishment'?.. Very cool indeed.
Anyway thank you so much again for your kind reply Rob, you are 100% welcome. Cheers, Stefanos

Hi Stefano

NEVER, NEVER, NEVER cancel for a guest.  Let them do it or you are the one penalised.

Good luck with your property.

Mel

Hello Melanie, thank you for your interest and kindness.

So it seems I was the one who even played to fool here, wonderful.

Cheers anyway, all the Best from me too 🙂 Stefanos

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Stefano425

There is no acceptable cancellation of a guest reservation by or on the part of a host Stefano. If a hosting cannot take place you must contact CS and ask them to relocate the guest.

What will happen then Airbnb will contact the guest and give them three options.

If you have a problem that is going to impact on a guests stay (which falls outside the extenuating circumstances clause) you can contact CS and ask them to relocate/refund the guest. CS will then contact the guest, explain the situation and ask if they would consider a relocation.

The guest can either say...

A/. 'I would accept a relocation' to which the agent 'may' offer a monetary 10% relocation offset as the cancellation was a result of the hosts inability to proceed.

B/. 'I will accept an alteration of dates for your reservation'?

C/. 'I would like to cancel my reservation.'

CS would then return to you with the guests decision and the reservation would either proceed, be changed in some way, or would be cancelled.

Where the grey area comes in is, in some instances guests do not automatically get the Airbnb service fees refunded if they cancel and CS may advise them that if the host were to cancel the reservation there would be no penalty to them, the guest, and you would receive a 'request to cancel' email which makes you responsible for the cancellation.....and this is what happened to you last year....you received an email saying the guest would like to cancel and you said ok and hit cancel!

I would really be having a go at getting this last cancellation penalty removed Stefano...after all circumstances were beyond your control and you will find your reservation requests will come back if you do not have that black spot remaining in your reviews.

CS are living breathing humans with a heart and with feelings (unlike computer programs) and if you go about this in a passive way there is every chance you will be successful in having this last cancellation removed from your record.....All the best mate!

Cheers.....Rob

Thank you very muh Rob!.. I will act in that direction. Btw I have already deleted half of the pictures, specially the ocean ones 🙂 Cheers, Stefanos

Fred13
Level 10
Placencia, Belize

@Stefano425 Also, read everything pertinent to you or of interest here in this forum. We have analized every hosting angle you can think of already. 😉

As to the pictures, best to come from the outside in, first putting the setting of your place in perspective (just north of a city, but detached?) and then take the guest on the 'walkthrough' you will be conducting with them, skipping minutae. As is, is a personal photographer's photo show, should be a lodging journey.

Hello Fred and thank you very much, I will try to have also new pictures with that perspective, thanks again, all the Best, Stefanos