Guest Bio should be a requirement...

Beth142
Level 2
San Francisco, CA

Guest Bio should be a requirement...

...and if reserving for more than just themselves, they should also be required to introduce their group.

I'm a seasoned Airbnb guest but completely new as a host. I have 2 issues... First, my original Airbnb account was set up years ago but with my husband as the primary so all of thay history stayed with his account. I am the host of our guest cottage, so no reviews yet, but I have a complete bio and detailed listing (no surprises). Each inquiry or reservation request so far has come from somebody who is either new to Airbnb and/or has no references (which I can live with because we all begin somewhere). However, not taking the time to write anything in a bio I just don't understand. There should be a basic template offered by Airbnb for those who are unsure of what basic info a host would like to know. A GUEST BIO SHOULD BE MANDATORY!

7 Replies 7
Linda108
Level 10
La Quinta, CA

OMG, @Beth  I am moving in!  What a cute place you have!  I think your experience as a guest has made you sensitive to what guests look for and appreciate.  I think it is smart for you to have Instant Booking turned off for now while you are settling into being a host.

I also allow newbie guests and have seen the lack of profile information.  I respond to their inquiry asking for more personal information and why they are coming into my area.  I let them know that I will have to decline the request if I do not hear back within a few hours.  90% of the time I get sufficient information to feel comfortable in accepting the request.

Once the booking has been confirmed, I ask for the names of all the members of the party and also reinforce the rule that only registered guests are welcome.  

Thank you @Linda108

Yes, our guest cottage is really amazing. We actually lived in it for a bit so it is well-furnished, well-equipped, owner-approved!

After I rise in the rankings, I will increase the price. It's a bit of a deal right now.

Yes, asked a few questions about my guest and his 3 friends and within a couple of hours he replied with more detailed information so I accepted his reservation 🙂 In my acceptance reply, I also made sure he read that my 2nd bedroom is actually a loft space and verified that the beds would fit their needs. Hopeful that he read all of this prior.

Dear Linda, 

Can you guide on the kind of information that you seek from the guests, being new to airbnb; i dont want to intimidate the guests, by asking too many details.

Or what would be the kind of questions that I should ask, as a new host.

@Preeti9  I like to know something about the booking guest if there is no information on the profile; why some one is coming to my area; the names of all the people in the party and what about my space interests them the most.  I am really looking for how the guest responds more than what is written.  I want a guest or guests that I am able to meet and exceed their expectations.

When I am vetting a new Air BNB traveler, I approach them as a welcomed member of the Air BNB community.  If they do not act like it is a community and only a cheap alternative to a hotel, I do not accept them.

thank you Linda.

I am also thinking that may be we can request the guest to share his government IDs, prior to coming, once we decide on giving it to him. 

@Beth142   

Your place is absolutely gorgeous.  I wish I was planning a trip to the area.  I looked at your listing and just want to make two suggestions.   First, you may want to add a security deposit.   We know that there are times Airbnb does not support the host and trying to get the security deposit for any issues is not easy but having one at least makes guests aware that there is one and they may take better care while staying there.   The other thing is I would not mention that the guest cottage is away from the main house/neighbors as it might attract guests who do want to throw a little party.   Making them think you are close by always helps to deter the type of guests you may not want.

You a right, all people on Airbnb should have some type of bio.   You are an experienced guest so your gut feeling will kick in quick when you get requests.  At one point, we had made a decision not to take new people (after a difficult new guest).   We then got some requests from new people and decided to go with our guts and they were the best.   Definitely bring up some things in your listing during your email conversations that may be an issue for guests like the loft.  It helps by not getting the "guests did not read the listing description" reviews.

Best of luck to you.   I am sure you will be very busy as your place is just so cute.

Preeti9
Level 2
Delhi, India

I can't agree more with you Beth. I am absolutely new to AirBnB and am finding it difficult to make out whether a new guest is reliable or not.

I guess you may also consider setting up a register similar to what the hotels have, wherein they take in guest details, including their govcernmetn IDs; not sure though if this works here at airbnb