Guest Cancelled on Me - Should I Worry?

Monaco1
Level 3
Atlanta, GA

Guest Cancelled on Me - Should I Worry?

Hi Everyone,

Let me first start by saying I'm new to Airbnb - I just started last week. So if I ask a dumb question, you know why.

Anyways, I just had a guest cancel on me right after her check in. I greeted her at the door and asked her if she had any questions. She said "no". The following day, I leave for work at 5:45am and notice the door was open to the room and the key was back in the lockbox. 

Later in the day during the afternoon, I get a text from Airbnb saying my guest canceled.

I tried to ask her what happend but she isn't responding. 

My question is this:

Should I offer her a refund?

How will this effect my rating on Airbnb as a host? I'm new to this so I want to get the highest marks possible. 

Thank you!

Monaco

3 Replies 3

@Monaco1 - guests can cancel at any time for any reason.  How, when and why they cancel can affect their refund.  Since she checked in, both you and she will have an opportunity to review each other - in that way it can affect your host status.  If her reason for checking out falls into one of the exception policies for Airbnb, this may affect your host status (depending on what it is).  Officially you do not have to do anything at this point since she's not talking. Airbnb will handle the refund based on your cancellation policy.  If you want to offer more that what the policy states, you can do so via the Resolution Center and this money will come out of your earnings.   Personally, I would not until I understand why she checked out.  So if she never tells you, you might be entitled to a few nights of pay for her reservation. 

Your cancellation policy is set at Flexible. 

If the guest arrives and decides to leave early, the accommodation fees for the nights not spent 24 hours after the official cancellation are fully refunded.

Make sure you read up on the exception policies where a guest might be entitled to a full refund.  

As for writing your review, there are gobs of threads here in the Community forums on how to write an appropriate review.  Do some searching and you will get lots of advice. Don't write her review until you've read several threads to get a good education on how to do this.  

Hopefully you will eventually get some feedback about what went wrong with this guest.  

Come back and give us an update on how things worked out.  

Thank you so much for your help! I'm a newbie so its nice to hear from a veteran. 

I'll definitely update this thread once I hear back. 

Monaco Jones

Peta7
Level 10
Johannesburg, South Africa

Hi Jeff and Alice,

And a novice's pennys worth: )

You message reads: "Since she checked in,....... " We have just learned the hard way that there are new guidelines in place providing for guests that cancel or that does not arrive at all the privilage of leaving a review on a listing, all in the name of transparency. We have a present post in the Help section requesting advise and will honestly appreciate your input. Thank you.

Peta