Guest Had Airbnb Delete Negative Review

Stephanie636
Level 10
McKinleyville, CA

Guest Had Airbnb Delete Negative Review

I had a difficult guest who broke the house rules, showed up with more guests than she paid for, and left a mess. I left a review accordingly, specifically stating that I did NOT recommend her to future hosts. She called Airbnb claiming my honest, objective review was “unwanted contact” so they removed it citing harassment (?!). I’m utterly stunned. So much for integrity, Airbnb! If hosts can’t forewarn other hosts about bad guests, what’s the point of reviews?! Feeling abused and unspportd as a host, I’m compelled to delete my listing altogether. This is shameful.

207 Replies 207
John1080
Level 10
Westcliffe, CO

@Stephanie636 @Amanda634, I am becoming more concerned something like this will eventually happen to me as well. Short of quitting hosting, I guess we can just be more diligent in our vetting process, although I feel even that is not going to prevent the odd terrible guest. 

I have considered not allowing any newly signed up guests to book, but most of my guests have been newbies. So far, I have had all good experiences except one, and I did have some odd feelings from the beginning, when she didn't communicate well with me. The only thing I feel I can do is trust my gut and try to be selective, even if it means missing out on a guest or two.  

In your cases, did you have any 'odd' feelings about these guests when they inquired? 

@John1080 @Stephanie636 @Amanda634 Its exactly how you describe it. Trust your gut. I did miss out on large bookings because i check reviews they left for their previous hosts and its quite shocking.

@Syl11 @Stephanie636 @Amanda634, I think it's for the best. Who knows what you would have had to deal with if you'd accepted. Exactly why it's so imperative that we hosts leave honest reviews of poor guests. 

And of course it isn't 100%, but I have really found that poor communication is often a flag for other negatives such as messiness or avoidance of house rules. 

Hey @John1080 - I hear you, and I don't want to succumb to this bad one, trust me. Just really discouraged by this eye-opening experience. To know you have no recourse, just plod ahead anyway, is disheartening. My struggle now is exactly what you say - how to vet guests when I know the review system isessentially guest-curated, biased and subjective. Anything they don't like, Airbnb will remove. Doesn't sound like what we all agree to when we use Airbnb and consent to the terms & conditions. It also doesn't provide any assurance to hosts about guest quality. It's actually misleading and fraudulent to expose hosts to a guest pool wrought with unsavories who manipulate the system into concealing them. (Imagine if restaurants could request removal of any/all negative feedback from their Yelp reviews - places with cockroaches, mold, and attrocious service would just appear glowing, and we'd unwittingly spend our money there). This is the same! Truly, the only real purpose of Airbnb reviews to me at this point is to affirm the mutual warm-fuzzies of great guests. I just hate participating in a process that I know has zero integrity.

Many of my guests are newbies too; again, tough to vet. The only assurance we really have is that they're likely not commiting identity theft when they book. I gauge the quality of the communication, and hope for the best, believing that people are generally good. Most have been great, a couple have been mediocre, one has been ferociously terrible. (I'm hosting guest #28 right now so if they're 3.5% bad, I guess that's ok though I'd like it to reduce). Regarding gut instincts, yes of course, it's just unfortuante that my only real booking diligence is now left up to intangible feelings when there's a perfectly good system that *could* be in place. I've turned away guests also who inquire about bringing both pets and kids (even "good ones"), so I do have standards and am happy to forego where I don't think it will be a fit. I hope this means I've dodged a couple bullets. The guest o' misery was friendly and normal in her initial communications with me. Sadly, I can't point to anything that would have been a signal of her cataclysmic badness, even in hindsight. Just keep on truckin' and hope for the best, I suppose.

@Stephanie636 Yep, you said it! The system is really stacked against us in so many ways. If a guest asks to bring a few more people at the last minute, we are worried to say no; if a guest leaves the place a mess, we are afraid to say anything before reviews have come out, etc. 

Some will take advantage and some will be honest I guess. Hard to vet as you said! 

The one who damaged my home, yes I had a strange feeling from her. My other guests showed a lot of gratefulness and she did not. I shrugged it off and went on with my day job. I came back to clean my home to see shards of wood on my floor from a small animal that tried to claw it's way out of my house through my front door. I didn't even know she had a pet dog with her until I looked at the itinerary. Once I did I knew who the culprit was, and I wasn't at all surprised when she said she had a small yorkie. She went on to say her dog isn't a "puppy" and that is was trained. Well once I started to clean my house I noticed her dog peed in several different places of my house that she neglected to clean so it stained my hardwood and stone floors. I couldn't believe how disgraceful some people can be. She went as far to start complaining of my accomdation, saying it was "too hot" (it's listed that we don't have A/C) and that my chairs were "broken" yet they used them to eat dinner, that my entire home wasn't "suitable for renters" even though it was (8) 5 star reviews. She even went on to attack myself by saying "just because you leave shampoo and conditioner out for your guest doest mean you're a good host" - actually, that's percisely what makes me a good host, looking out for people so they don't need to bring so much with them. Supplying 6 towels when I only need to supply 3, supplying 8 pillows when I'm only required to supply 4. It's incredibly sad because I can't imagine doing anything like this to someones beautiful home. 

@Amanda634, I know, I wonder where these people come from that they behave in such a manner?! 

Can't believe she snuck in a dog like that! 

I did leave a **renters beware** on her profile explaining what happened with a 1 star revew. So I doubt she'll have much ease in finding a place on Airbnb to trash again. I'm hoping it doesn't get deleted because that would completely defeat the purpose of leaving a review for renters as a host.

Good job, and sorry you had this experience. Like others remind us, most guests are good - try to not let the bad one(s) seal your perception. I try to remember this myself daily, but it's tough when you're reeling from a negative experience. Based on what I just encountered, your bad guest *CAN* call up and ask Airbnb to delete your negative, 1-star review. All they need to claim is that it was "unwanted contact" from you and BAM, it's a perceived violation of the review policy. I hope for all our sake this doesn't happen because what affects one host could truly harm many more if the guest is allowed to remain unchecked. Best of luck!

@Stephanie0 @Amanda0 

Hi all, I'm following this thread because of my experience with my last guest. Just awful. I wrote my first negative review and while I wasn't disrespectful, I was honest. It will be "in stone" as of tomorrow. The trick is, she is a guest with 10 positive reviews. However, she was traveling with her family (from overseas) and I don't think she could control them in the space. Here is my draft. It would be interesting to see if Airbnb let's the review stand. Also, if this isn't resolved favorably, it will mark the wind down of my time as a host on the platform. It's no fun being disrespected in your own home...

XXXXX and her family seem to be good people, whom I believe have the best of intentions. I must note, however, that this reservation was very memorable and not for good reason. This was the first time we have EVER had to follow guests around our home to repeatedly ask them to vacate after the stated check out time. Additionally, the suite was left in disarray; there was a broken window blind (which they refused to pay for) and a pool of blood in the toilet. (We do expect guests to clean up after themselves.) After everything, we agreed to let this family store their luggage in our home until 8pm (9 hours after check out time). They showed up late after the stated time to collect their belongings. We enjoy hosting and consider it a privilege to be a part of our guests' trips to our city. While we were delighted to host this family, we were left feeling as if there was disregard for our time and property. This is an honest account of our experience with this guest. In spite of the experience, we send best wishes to this family.

Very diplomatic!

Thank you. After reading this thread, I cleared it with Airbnb before posting. No way do I want this deleted! 

How did you "clear it with ABB?"

FWIW,  it doesn't appear ABB proactively removes reviews or even monitors them.  What they do do,  is respond if a guest complains / claims that a review violates the content policies.   And at that point,  it's the decision of whomever is dealing with the guest-- which in a big,  chaotic bureaucracy,  does not seem to be consistent.

Mary996
Level 10
Swansea, United Kingdom

@Kenneth0 in Chicago

This is the real point. The principles are good and workable but employees can be manipulated or are not up to the job.

In my case I understood that we can reply to reviews on our pages by way of last word.

I would like to reply to a lovely guest who left a great review.... but its after 14 days. I understand the main review system closes at 14 days,  but I've been able to acknowledge and comment on reviews much later.... when I had a moment to do that. But I'm dealing with an agent who seems to be lazy and argumentative and I can't get past her. HOWEVER  was I just lucky with someone else who previously opened all my reviews so I could respond and acknowledge. May have been to do with me coming on board as a co-host???

@John @Stephanie636@Oomesh-Kumarsingh0  @Richard-and-Nadia0  @Holly16

Not communicting well is a dead give away.

"and I did have some odd feelings from the beginning, when she didn't communicate well with me. The only thing I feel I can do is trust my gut and try to be selective, even if it means missing out on a guest or two."

Bingo!