Guest accuse me (host) of stealing

Kattrea0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Guest accuse me (host) of stealing

Hi, I have just started hosting (2.5 months) and I have been enjoying it.  However, today my guest accused me of entering her room and taking $100 from her backpack.  She said she had $1000 in a sealed envelope and I tore it open and took $100.

So I asked her why would I do such a stupid thing like that since it would obviously be me since I had the extra key.

I believe she used it and doesn't remember spending it. As she claimed the envelope was ripped open and only 100 was taken from $ 1000. If someone was going to be obvious and steal the money why not take all $1000.  I contacted airbnb to get her out of my apartment but she is still there.  She is supposed to check out tomorrow.

If she thought the money was missing when she came back why didn't she contact me right away or airbnb? She didn't contact me the next morning or the afternoon. Why wait? If I were her I wouldn't want to stay at an airbnb that I believed stole my money? I would report it right away and get out of the place as fast as I could. She also said that if I didn't give her the money she would write a bad review. So I told her to go ahead since I didn't take her money.

I tried to be a good host and let her check in at 7:00am because her flight came in at 5am and now this is what I get for going out of my way.  Need some advice. thanks

4 Replies 4
Jackie148
Level 7
Edens Landing, Australia

Your absolutely right why take $100 when you could take $1000 I would have kicked her our there and then typical a bnb not helping you go to your place and get rid of her who cares about a bad review you can reply to her review she has spent this and forgotten I wouldn't let someone accuse me of somthing I didn't do 

I would have contacted ABB to kick her out immediately AND would threaten to sue her and ABB for libel if she continued to falsely accuse me of stealing. 

What idiot would rip open a sealed envelop and steal only $100 when there are 10 $100 bills in there? Why not take the entire envelop? It's stupid and makes no sense at all. Clearly she used the money and forgot about it! 

That guest has a lot of nerve calling you a thief then thinking it's okay to continue to stay in your home as a guest!

Ute42
Level 10
Germany

Hi @Kattrea0 ,

this story doesn't make sense to me at all.

So Your guest is accusing You of having stolen $100 from her. What does she now expect to happen? That You admid it? "Oh sorry, yes, I stole Your money. Here You are, You get it back"?

If she believes You had stolen her money by opening the envelope, she should bring said envelope to the next police station so that they can search ist for Your, the hosts, fingerprints.

Leave her a terrible review.

Kattrea0
Level 2
Los Angeles, CA

Update: Tried to get Airbnb to get her out last night but she would not respond or answer to their email or phone calls. However, she texted me and cussed me out and then texted again and begged me to give her money back. She is definitely bipolar. I just ignored her. I didn't want to go confront her and ask her to leave since I had 2 other Airbnb groups staying in the apartment. I was afraid she would create an uncomfortable scene for the other guests.
11 am is my check out time and my neighbor said she saw her leave at 12:15 pm. Her room looked clean with a few red food stains on my white sheet. Not sure if she did it on purpose or if she is just a messy eater.
However, I could not find the keys anywhere. I contacted Airbnb and had the lock changed immediately since she could have given the keys to anybody on the street. Let's see if she will pay for the lock. 🙂
I've been looking into getting a safety box or putting a video camera in the hallway.  Which do you think is better?