Guest asking for refund due to spiders in unit

Karin36
Level 6
Richmond, Canada

Guest asking for refund due to spiders in unit

Guest checks in at 2 PM.

At 11:55 PM guest sends us a message saying they are leaving because of "numerous spiders" found in the unit.  Would like a refund.

I just read the message this morning.

Please note, we clean the unit fully between guests and would kill a spider if we happened to notice one.  Having said that, it is lovely weather outside and doors/windows are open in our wing of the house; it's not unlikely that one of God's critters could make his way in.  

Does this warrant a refund?  If not, what would you say?

20 Replies 20

@Rosemarie9 You already hit your quota, I am staying just this side of it; had one that looked like the perfect candidate (old, and a classic NA whiner), but lo and behold they had such a good times I think they felt guilty complaining about 'something'. 

I need Airbnb to add two filters: 30-55 years old & No Whiners. Then I be set.

Robin4
Level 10
Mount Barker, Australia

@Fred13

Don't count your lunatics before they hatch!

Hey, seeing as your in the mood for useles trivialities tonight......

Isn't it funny the way we interpret sayings! I have seen people from your side of the world say 'knock on wood' so many times....I think that departed star by the name of Danny Kaye even stared in a film about the subject in 1954, the plot of the movie being, he was always stumbling into situations!

Over this side of the world when we hope to stay clear of trouble we say 'touch wood' and reach for the nearest bit of timber to grab hoping that that act will somehow deliver us from evil.

And when you sit down and think about it, our slant on it is probably a lot more plausable than yours Fred.

Back before the stone age, cave men (I am lead to believe from watching the Flintsones) would carry around a club of.............! When they were in a difficult situation I would lay a bet they did not just knock on that trusty club of theirs, I think they would have grabbed for it!

So I think we got it right!

Cheers.....Rob

Karin36
Level 6
Richmond, Canada

Thanks everyone for weighing in.  We didn't find any spiders when we cleaned the room, but I'm sure with the season, there could have been.  We didn't offer a refund and explained that we would have liked the chance to fix any issues before simply refunding.  I also asked them to describe where the spiders were so I could make sure we took care of the problem, but I haven't heard back.  I love the duct-tape catcher idea!  🙂

Laura3157
Level 2
Salt Lake City, UT

I just had a guest cancel today. They checked in last night and said that they found half a cheesecake in the fridge and 6 spiders throughout the day and night. It is a rustic cabin and I have never seen that many spiders. I asked our cleaner about the half eaten cheesecake and they swear they cleaned out the fridge because our last guests left a bunch of grass in the fridge....

The guest messaged today saying that our place is just not for them. They didn't ask for a refund but I am terrified they will leave us a bad review if we don't preemptively award a refund. What are your thoughts?

Jeff158
Level 10
Caernarfon, United Kingdom

@Laura3157  you have a moderate cancellation policy.

Your guests will get a 50% refund for the nights not stayed 24hrs after they cancel. If they cancel.

I hoover up least 20 spiders every time we do a turnaround, the little blighters are laughing at me from nooks and crannies. You should have said the cheesecake was a welcome gift but the mice popped in for a slice.

These guests have other problems, no sane person cancels for half a cheesecake and 6 spiders.

Thank you, Jeff! I appreciate your candor and positive attitude. We have a rustic cabin outside of Capitol Reef National Park, which is situated in the middle of the Utah desert. Our property is a haven for creepy crawlies, despite our best efforts. Thanks for making me feel a little better and for your advice.