Guest asking me to accept extra people and allow "pre game drinking"

Maria47
Level 2
Ballston Spa, NY

Guest asking me to accept extra people and allow "pre game drinking"

I had a reservation request come through for tomorrow night that I confirmed. They paid for 4 guests. I have a moderate cancellation policy.

In our subsequent messages, they asked what the max number of guests is and how "strict" I am.

I reminded them that they reserved for the maximum of 4 guests. I referred them to reread my house rules, which indicate no drugs, no heavy drinking and no smoking.

The guest says, "I'll have to pass. Sorry." After that, he said, "if you're ok with us drinking before we go out and having 6 people, we will stay."

I think he's currently drunk. I suggested he call me or Airbnb after 10am tomorrow as it is 3am right now.

It's a super busy season in my area and he's clearly indicating that he only reserved with me because it was the best deal he could get( and he didn't realize someone would be here to enforce the house rules).

I'm concerned that they're going to be a huge issue and I don't feel I should have to give a refund or cancel just because they failed to read the rules or want to make their own.

8 Replies 8
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Should they wish to cancel because you want the rules and numbers of guests enforced, let them! Good riddance! Your cancellation policy would come into effect. Don't cancel yourself however, if you want to do not be tempted but contact Air instead and tell them your problem.

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Maria47

Huge red flag!

If you had something like this in your house rules (which guests have to agree to upon booking)  you could fall back on it without any explanation:

'No unbooked visitors or additional guests are allowed on the premises. That so doing will be grounds for immediate cancellation of the booking.'

In case of a dispute or trouble later on Airbnb would shave to ide with you. It also means that any guest excuse about a visitor only being there for socially a few hours is out the window.

"Airbnb would shave to ide with you..."

I love it...

Chuckle.

Mike
AirBnB Treehouse for Rent
https://www.airbnb.com/rooms/7292887

Andrea9
Level 10
Amsterdam, Netherlands

@Mike77

That IS funny!

Copy-Paste-Delete-And-Insert gone off board  ;D

Taryn4
Level 10
Austin, TX

That constitutes a drive by- for sure. Do you live close by? 

Stick to your house policy! Good work! 

We just had someone try to book (1 guest for our whole house 4bd/4bth listing) and they asked for exterior pics. I told them this was our private home and we don't share that to non-guests (subtext you're not going to stay here creeper). I also introduced them to AirBnB and encouraged them to share a bit about themselves (number of guests). They responded (4 guests and for a wedding) and questioned our high deposit. 

The high desposit works to weed out people! Even if is a pain to deal with AirBnB to resolve issues. 

Feel free to send them a special offer with an outrageously high fee- they'll likely get the hint. 

-Special offer for extra guests and Party fee-" $500+ per night, does not include any fees to cover damages to property from party, guest will be responsible for all damages and extra cleaning", or whatever you think will push them to their senses. 

Keep us posted and best of luck! 

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

@Maria47, did he cancel? Did you? let us know what happened.

The man requested a full refund. He informed Airbnb that he was too drunk to know what he was doing and he didn't realize he couldn't just simply cancel.

Although I didn't have to refund any money, I offered him 50% back.
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

Great news!