Guest data use

Lana18
Level 2
Dunedin, New Zealand

Guest data use

WE just had two guests stay for 4 days, they were really nice. 

However I checked our data usage and they used 80GB of data in 4 days. We have data packages in NZ ours is 80GB i dont know what to do, can I ask them to pay more? 

I only charge 33USD per night. I haven't stipulated any data usage caps for guests, but I thought that it would just be common sense / courtesy not to use that much data.

Please help me with some advice. 

6 Replies 6
David-and-Fiona0
Level 10
Panglao, Philippines

In reality international guests see wifi somewhat like water, power etc etc. I don't think it's right to charge them in this instance but lessons learned for future guests. In your router you can change the settings to reduce speed and even shape it further if a guest over uses it. Alternates you can add any charges in your listing (but I wouldn't)

good luck

D

Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

You will find that depending on where they are from, they will use a lot as they might stream tv, games, anything and not think anything about it. Their own internet is bound to be amazing in speed and value and not to be thought about too hard. Like air, it is just there. You will definitely have to spell it out in your house rules. A friend of mine in Adelaide has three rooms she rents out to international students, and after her data package exceeded in a couple of days (her monthly cap) she had to change how she operated. What SHE meant by providing internet was totally incomprehensible to her paying guests.

Ginny6
Level 1
Puhoi, New Zealand

Hi Lana

We decided to increase our GBs to unlimited with our provider to avoid this issue. We don't provide a DVD and our TV is not connected to SKY, so if guests want to stream they can without it affecting our useage. Maybe increase your nightly rate to take the additional charges into account and also save yourself worrying about it.

Cheers and goodluck.

Ginny

David126
Level 10
Como, CO

That is about 30 hours of HD Movie.

Sounds a lot, perhaps they was more than one device.

I used  to have Satellite and that was limited to 10GB and no matter what I said people would ignore it. I agree with throttleing usage.

With Satellite once you blow your allowance you are basically on dial up speed so technically do have it, does your work that way?

David
Sandra126
Level 10
Daylesford, Australia

just for the record, I don't provide any internet whatsoever. In 8 years I have only had one person who missed it. The rest used their own internet or didn't bother.

Gerry-And-Rashid0
Level 10
London, United Kingdom

Unfortunately if u haven't specified a charge then you can't add one afterwards.